You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#113281 by danceswithchickens
Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 am
First off, let me clarify that I think "Vampira" is a cool song. Not one of my favorites, but it has a great riff in the chorus and some great screaming. However, I must question the choice of this song as the first single. I understand the reasoning behind it; it is short and catchy. Devin says the song is meant to be the attention-getter, for those with no patience for the whole album. With this in mind, I can't help but think that this song is a poor representation of Synchestra. Someone with no previous Devin experience might not understand his sense of humour and irony, and take this song seriously. Taken seriously, it could be viewed as cliche-ridden cheese, could it not?

Let me put it this way; fans who might have appreciated the rest of the album could be turned off by this song. Likewise, people who have a genuine appreciation for cheesy 80s metal might be disappointed in the rest of the album. I just don't think that this song reflects the depth, emotion and beauty that prevails for the rest of the album.

Again, if I haven't made it clear, I'm not knocking the song. I'm questioning it's choice as lead single. Discuss.

#113289 by Biert
Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:47 am
I have made a couple of my friends listen to Vampira, and they all loved it, even tho they are not profound metal heads or anything like that. I think that's why it's the single. It doesn't have to represent the album, it's just meant to get the attention, as you said.

I'm looking forward to the video that has been shot :)
#113297 by hairy
Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:34 am
danceswithchickens wrote:First off, let me clarify that I think "Vampira" is a cool song. Not one of my favorites, but it has a great riff in the chorus and some great screaming. However, I must question the choice of this song as the first single. I understand the reasoning behind it; it is short and catchy. Devin says the song is meant to be the attention-getter, for those with no patience for the whole album. With this in mind, I can't help but think that this song is a poor representation of Synchestra. Someone with no previous Devin experience might not understand his sense of humour and irony, and take this song seriously. Taken seriously, it could be viewed as cliche-ridden cheese, could it not?

Let me put it this way; fans who might have appreciated the rest of the album could be turned off by this song. Likewise, people who have a genuine appreciation for cheesy 80s metal might be disappointed in the rest of the album. I just don't think that this song reflects the depth, emotion and beauty that prevails for the rest of the album.

Again, if I haven't made it clear, I'm not knocking the song. I'm questioning it's choice as lead single. Discuss.

I agree at 100%.
I already said the same thing in another thread.
Vampira is awesome but does not represent the album at all.
Some people may be "fooled" by buying the album after listening to it.

1/ They like vampira but hate the rest of the CD.
2/ They hate vampira, so they don't buy the record! (but they may have enjoyed the rest of it though!!!)

Exactly what happened with Type O Negative when they released My G's G as the first single of October Rust.

Bands, if you have one song which is completely different from the rest of your album, DO NOT RELEASE IT AS A SINGLE!!! (no matter how great the song is)

#113326 by danceswithchickens
Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:24 am
I guess there aren't many other viable options on Synchestra. Most of the songs are long enough to require substantial editing for the MTV crowd, while the shorter tracks serve more as interludes than actual songs.

#113329 by Biert
Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:38 am
danceswithchickens wrote:I guess there aren't many other viable options on Synchestra. Most of the songs are long enough to require substantial editing for the MTV crowd, while the shorter tracks serve more as interludes than actual songs.

Excellent observation. We don't want "The Grand Conjuration" like rituals.

#113336 by EternalMetal
Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:51 am
danceswithchickens wrote:I guess there aren't many other viable options on Synchestra. Most of the songs are long enough to require substantial editing for the MTV crowd, while the shorter tracks serve more as interludes than actual songs.

I would say Hypergeek. It is slow, fast, intense, meaningful, it captures the entire album in less than 3 minutes. I would say it is a representation of what his sound is like.

Vampira would be good though. Its so catchy, it would definitely attract a rockier/popier crowd.

#113349 by bloodredcurls
Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 pm
Biert wrote:I'm looking forward to the video that has been shot :)

I think after seeing 'Vampira' performed live - one could change their mind about it being a 'controversial' single.

And as to Biert's quote - Indeedy!!!!! :wink:

#113350 by hairy
Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:32 pm
bloodredcurls wrote:
Biert wrote:I'm looking forward to the video that has been shot :)

I think after seeing 'Vampira' performed live - one could change their mind about it being a 'controversial' single.

And as to Biert's quote - Indeedy!!!!! :wink:

This has nothing to do about the subject of the thread...

Vampira is definitely different from the rest of the album, so it does not represent the album at all.

#113351 by BrunoN
Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:32 pm
I'd vote for Notes from Africa. 100% smashing radio hit, and almost no need to cut it (apart of ambient noises from the end of the track, of course).

#113353 by bloodredcurls
Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:39 pm
hairy wrote:This has nothing to do about the subject of the thread...

I'll send myself to the corner with the hairy's dunce cap on my head.

However, I simply disagree....
I like it as a choice for a single.
I loved it live and saw it in a new light after Feb 11th.

... going to corner now
:bum:

#113357 by Biert
Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:18 pm
BrunoN wrote:I'd vote for Notes from Africa. 100% smashing radio hit, and almost no need to cut it (apart of ambient noises from the end of the track, of course).

Yeah Notes From Africa would be really good too, a bit repetitive maybe for the "MTV audience". But some cutting it to get "MTV length" should solve that.

#113360 by EternalMetal
Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:31 pm
Biert wrote:
BrunoN wrote:I'd vote for Notes from Africa. 100% smashing radio hit, and almost no need to cut it (apart of ambient noises from the end of the track, of course).

Yeah Notes From Africa would be really good too, a bit repetitive maybe for the "MTV audience". But some cutting it to get "MTV length" should solve that.

Yea, they wouldnt like it. Its actually my least favorite song on the album too. Just because he repeats that annoying phrase over and over again.

#113363 by The Incision
Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:40 pm
Yes Notes would be a good choice for a single. Better than vampira in my opinion, I only hope that the video is indeed as funny as promised. That would be the only thing that could salvage it for me.
-Brent 8)

#113377 by danceswithchickens
Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:23 pm
"Gaia" would be great, but they'd have to chop it for sure. And I hate video edits...

#113387 by funny_little_guy
Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:57 pm
I think everything but Vampira and Notes From Africa is too long, or has no lyrics. An instrumental single is probally the worst idea ever if your trying to sell a non-instrumental album, heaps of people won't even care/remember it a second after it played. Video cuts suck, and I don't know how you would cut anything like Gaia without ruining it. Notes From Africa strikes me as being too weird to make people want to buy the album, unless it was the 80s, but its not so.... So yeah my point is I think Vampira is probally the best choice really.