You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#160181 by AccEvolution
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:11 pm
I figured I would ask this here first before bothering Tracy or The Dev with such trivial stuff. Hopefully you guys can shed some insight.

Are the quoted lyrics related, in any way, to the book The Dispossessed? There's a passage from the book that fits, and if it connected then it could really change the way of view Synchestra lyrically or thematically.

"... he ran a fever that never quite heightened to delirium but left him in a limbo between reason and unreason, no man's land. Time did not pass. There was no time. He was time: he only. He was the river, the arrow, the stone..."

Any clue? Even if unintentional, it could still lead to some rather interesting interpretations after finishing the book, perhaps.

#160190 by Biert
Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:36 am
As far as I know Devin is not a big reader (except comics), so my guess would be not. Or maybe it is... I just don't know :?

#160240 by AccEvolution
Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm
I'd also like to add that there is a room in the story called the "Divlab." :shock:

#160259 by Biert
Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:16 am
Hmm maybe there is a link after all...

Although "Devlab" seems like a pretty common abbreviation for Development Laboratory. There used to be a "Devlab" on my university's campus:

#160266 by TallNerdGuy
Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:20 pm
I like how the guy in the reflection behind you is all like "Why is that guy taking a picture of that Devlab sign?"

#160267 by Biert
Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:26 pm
No he knew ;)

In fact, even though he doesn't have particular good taste in music, he has heard Devlab, was fascinated with it's... weirdness and I think he likes it. Devin is #114 in his Last.fm charts.

#160268 by AccEvolution
Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:46 pm
Biert wrote:Hmm maybe there is a link after all...

Although "Devlab" seems like a pretty common abbreviation for Development Laboratory. There used to be a "Devlab" on my university's campus:

Oh, yeah. That last bit was said in semi-sarcasm. Though it does seem a tad strange. His name being Devin doesn't help that theory either, it only makes sense to refer to it as "Devlab."

"It" being his studio, assuming that's what he calls it.

#160302 by funny_little_guy
Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:18 am
Why didn't you share that picture sooner...!!! Also I was listening to this song today and it was really fantastic. Haven't heard of the book though sorry.

#160395 by AccEvolution
Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:15 pm
Not that it's significant, but the main character's profession happens to be none other than a physicist, and Earth (as in, OUR earth) is officially named Terra, which, I know is just Latin ( I believe) but cool none-the-less.

#160421 by Biert
Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:11 am
funny_little_guy wrote:Why didn't you share that picture sooner...!!!

I did! I posted it when I took it like a year ago. Then reposted a couple of days back.

Re:

#175906 by Ageia
Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:44 am
Biert wrote:Hmm maybe there is a link after all...

holy shit it's black mesa
#176023 by Matt Nevens
Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:52 pm
Just noticed if you play PIXILLATE on double speed you can hear extra backing vocals during the bit just after the chorus, they are very hard to make out when you listen to the song on normal speed...

...yes i am that sad...but a lot of Dev's music sounds SO cool speeded up, esspecially OM and Terria!
#184993 by Stella Cartography
Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm
I've tried looking up Dev's lyrics before and given up. No one seems to have definitive stuff that makes sense. So here's what I think the female lyrics are on Pixillate after the whole chameleon bit.

'And you're never alone when you're beating the drunks off of you
You braid my dahlias'

Tell me I'm wrong. Please.
#184995 by the-fluke
Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:27 pm
Stella Cartography wrote:I've tried looking up Dev's lyrics before and given up. No one seems to have definitive stuff that makes sense. So here's what I think the female lyrics are on Pixillate after the whole chameleon bit.

'And you're never alone when you're beating the drunks off of you
You braid my dahlias'

Tell me I'm wrong. Please.

You're wrong :)

'And you're never alone, while you're feeding the crux of the you, YOU BRAVE ACADIAN!'

It's in the booklet. :)
#184996 by Stella Cartography
Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 pm
I got that album of off Apple's site...sans lyrics.

I actually think I prefer my version - but maybe that's because I've had to plait my own dahlias.