The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#273556 by static2
Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:44 pm
alright folks, i have spent far too much time cataloguing all of Dev's intentional self-referencing in this gigantic, ugly chart. and now, for your viewing (dis)pleasure:

http://www.lucidchart.com/documents/vie ... e90a7e0eed

the link is for viewing — if anyone finds something not linked and wants to edit it with me, let me know.

the site is free to look at and edit stuff, but you either need to make an account or sign in with your Google/Yahoo account to edit.
#273605 by DevinJayLeibe
Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:45 am
Holy mudkips that is awesome. I want to print it off and stick it on my ceiling :D

Would it be plausible to link Man to Watch You?

"I, watch, you
In my silence"

And Ocean Machines (the song) to er, Ocean Machine (album) :D
Last edited by DevinJayLeibe on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
#273620 by static2
Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 am
Lettuce wrote:My guessing is you didn't get up to much this weekend :P

Oh and Radial Highway > Bad Devil

what? really? i think i need to go listen to RH again xD

DevinJayLeibe wrote:Holy mudkips that is awesome. I want to print it off and stick it on my ceiling :D

Would it be plausible to link Man to Watch You?

"I, watch, you
In my silence"

And Ocean Machines (the song) to er, Ocean Machine (album) :D

good call on "Man." i was unsure on the OM thing — i figured it would be as obvious as all the DTP title tracks, which don't need links to the titles. any other opinions on this?

also, does "Praise the Lowered" count as a reference to "Critic" / "All Hail the New Flesh?" the line in question being "all of it's all we are / that's all we are."
#273660 by gitrplaya4u
Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:38 pm
Holy crap I've wanted to do this for a while, but now I'm glad someone else did it :D

Also, Gato references Skeksis, yes?
Finally, now make a reference page that shows HOW these are references :lol:

Edit: What in the world is I Really Love Korea and how can I get it??
#273672 by static2
Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:12 pm
what's the "Skeksis" reference?

"I Really Love Korea" is the Korean (gasp!) bonus track on AE. it's basically the harmonic feedback from the start of "Depth Charge" underneath Dev talking about how the band likes Korea, who's in the DTB, and promising a tour (or something to that effect). i'm sure it would be pretty expensive to try to buy it, but you can find the track online.
#273692 by gitrplaya4u
Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:35 pm
Someone (probably Dev) recently pointed out that there is a shared melody in Gato and Skeksis that is from the Dark Crystal theme. It can be heard in Gato at ~3:50 and in Skeksis at ~2:51 aaaaand finally here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPdowP_aBXY

Finally, (maybe) what in the world is Idom?
#273770 by catharsis
Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:32 am
pretty cool, but i gotta say i disagree with a lot of it. i mean a monday referencing monday just cuz of the title? how does addicted reference centipede? the alien album referencing depth charge? canada and detox demo? sorry but a lot of this doesn't make much sense.
#273775 by catharsis
Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 am
idom is basically a dire & consequence as one track and also incorporated part of aftermath, probably a demo. it was on some random japanese compilation
#273786 by David Hardy
Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 am
This is awesome, but I really don't get a lot of the connections. It would be cool to get a list of them, or even have other posters give their two cents. I'm a total sucker for self-referencing and reprises. In any case, thanks for the awesome chart! :amen: