The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#295048 by The Dev
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 pm
Hey guys, been so long here I know...since management changed it's been flat out work in a way I never expected. I think it's good as in a way I do feel I need to play catch up for poor prior decsions.

The things that make it good are really good, but I admit it changes the 'color' of it all... to take it to the next level all of a sudden theres endorsements and lawyers and corporate stuff that ultimately brings me closer to my goals of doing Z2 in a big way, but it also affects my writing...

I found as a reaction to the complications of decon and the sheer bulk of work thats been going on (seriously, it's insane) my writing ended up going in 3 ways recently:

1) A very commercial sounding (for the most part) but beautiful and melencholic album full of easy to digest dev songs...Epicloud. I don't know why it came out, but it did, so I'm going to get it out of my system

2) Casualties of Cool: a duo with myself and Che (ki)... it sounds like haunted Johnny cash songs. late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I've done. Che sings most of the leads, and it's probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point. Trying to release it in tandem with Epicloud.

3) Z2 epic epic epic, complicated, musical, sci-fi, immense expense, the goal of it all I suppose.

Lost focus on Ghost 2, but mainly because I wanted to release it and everyone got their shit in a knot about it...so I'm trying to find a way to get it out for free, but thats a bit dicey with folks too.

I do understand why things need to be monetized, it's expensive and everyones on salary and each month is a struggle, so box sets, dvds , vips etc are pretty important to the big picture. I still feel embarrased about it all though and fully advocate not being obliged to buy it if you're unsure... the bigger things get, you'd be suprised at how much control you need to give up just to stay musically creative...

Once the dust settles a bit (a year?) I hope to be able to 'give back' a bit with free stuff and everything...

The Peavey situation was intense and a real eye opener in terms of how things REALLY work in the business side of endorsements, and I can't say I really enjoyed it, but we got the guitar out and everyone is nice to each other so all good...I really like that V.

However, I decided to use other guitars for other stuff as well, a Sadowsky tele set, a Framus hollwbody group of guitars, and the v's. No one is entirely happy with that decision, but I find it difficult to not be straight up with folks about what I want to play and do and have typically pissed people off as a result... the bottom line though is I like what I like and it is important to the music to be accurate with tones and vibe. The guitars I actually play, I really like...regardless of brand.

Again, things are changing in a big way, and I find myself more insular than ever... performing is getting easy, and big shows are becoming the easiest, however the grass roots element of it is rapidly becoming something I have to sneak in... my mind tells me that for the sake of the future vision, to not do it is a mistake...however awkward the transition may be for me, long time listeners and family... maybe thats why the casualties of cool record is important to me... no one in the 'grand scheme, big business' side of my world seems to think it's important. But it's important to me because its very very personal.

Epicloud is a real stormer though, it sounds like a beautiful army... summer music, very little metaphor... I needed that in a big way...

talk more soon

d
#295050 by Altruizin
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 pm
this is all good Dev :)
cheered up my looong niteup shift ;)
#295052 by Wander
Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:25 pm
Sounds to me like those 3 direction are a lot like a continuation of what the DTP was. Would this be an accurate perception? I find it crazy that you can just keep doing these very different things at the same time! Well, I guess it's more like you can't help going into these different directions, because of the way you do things, hah.

I've been away from the Devland for a while discovering new music, but it's really cool to come back here and see that tons of different kinds of new stuff is on it's way again. Great stuff.
#295054 by Octillus
Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 pm
SUP BRAH.

Do what you got to in order to feed the beast without compromising your personal shit. As far as the grassroots thing goes, I don't know man, you seem to be around it as much as you possibly can, and it doesn't seem like you're ready to ride off with a 19 year old on a harley just yet.

Lookin forward to more tunes. Drama seems to be inevitable with any working partnership, regardless of what you do, but good music and good times seem to kinda conquer all of that shit anyway.

To more success and hopefully it doesn't get too annoying.
#295055 by elscardo
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:07 am
Pretty excited to hear the Casualties of Cool stuff. I picture Radial Highway/Trainfire-esque stuff, which would be amazing!
Epicloud is also highly anticipated for me. After hearing the demo track in the tour video you made, I lost it with eagerness to hear it.
And Z2 will just be straight up awesome.
Just keep us updated and I hope all the things that come with becoming a larger spot on the map don't get you down

Cheers
#295056 by stubear280
Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 am
Do what you gotta do, man. You seem to have a really good head on your shoulders and seem to come out in the right place no matter what's thrown at you, all while pumping out a shit ton of good music that fans almost always like. You're doing a kickass job. As always, Thanks for all of the great music, brah!
#295060 by Persuader
Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 am
^ What he said. You're all too kind to us as it is, no worries! 8)
#295062 by Hiddos
Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 am
ppinkham wrote:Just do what you need to do, trust your instincts, and know your limits. We will be here.

I think these words best describe what I also want to say.

Just do what you need to do, and do what you feel is best. We are here, acting like a bunch of schoolgirls waiting for the three projects.
#295068 by Lettuce
Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:39 am
If you're trying to figure out how to flog G2; I've often seen bands who give out flyers during/after a special show (like an album launch) with a code on it to download material...maybe do that? Or maybe have the guys at O Merch make flash drives with the album on? Just so it's a different way to buy it and technically they're just buying the flash drive with it on it? Have it as a downloadable prize if you win the Ziltoid game? Erm....burn it to CDRs and flog them from the boot of the tourbus? I dunnooooo.
#295071 by Leechmaster
Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:23 am
The Dev wrote:2) Casualties of Cool: a duo with myself and Che (ki)... it sounds like haunted Johnny cash songs. late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I've done. Che sings most of the leads, and it's probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point. Trying to release it in tandem with Epicloud.

Sweet zombie jesus that sounds absolutely fantastic... I guess there'll always be bullshit flying around over releases with the corporate setup but you spoil us so much its not like anyone's gonna be freaking out over it if things get delayed on release or held up in the development pipeline or whatever. Just keep plugging away at it, things will all fall into place eventually. Keep the chin up!
#295076 by FUBAR
Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 am
Thanks for the update Devin. I hope Epicloud is out in time for the summer :)
#295078 by Tall-Latte
Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 am
[quote="The Dev"
I do understand why things need to be monetized, it's expensive and everyones on salary and each month is a struggle, so box sets, dvds , vips etc are pretty important to the big picture. I still feel embarrased about it all though and fully advocate not being obliged to buy it if you're unsure... the bigger things get, you'd be suprised at how much control you need to give up just to stay musically creative...

Once the dust settles a bit (a year?) I hope to be able to 'give back' a bit with free stuff and everything...

[/quote]

I for one really really appreciate this Dev, thanks mate :) I totally understand the world revolves the money and as sad as music gets involved with this (a primal communication is singing), people have to live these days so please dont feel too bad that the people at the top want to charge for everything these days, were just used to it and if it means you get to make more stuff, then were ALLLL good with that! We love the free stuff of course, everyone loves free stuff, i took some hot sauce from Alestorm once as it was free from them - turned out to be burning vinegar - but we, the fans and family, will still be there to support you even if we dont get free stuff :)

thanks for the update on the board, its awesome to hear from you again.

James
#295087 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:57 am
Those upcoming releases sound excellent, and the fact that you've kept your sanity and can still balance everything is admirable in itself. Paul pretty much summed it all up, though. Ghost 2 will see the light someday, until then, we can wait.