The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#307076 by Jaglavak
Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm
I looked around the forum and didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'd start one myself. Anyone else excited for this, assuming it comes to fruition? Dev's mentioned it a couple times in interviews/on Twitter/Formspring/wherever else over the past few months, and in an interview that just went up today he offered a really detailed preview of it:

Speaking of projects that will seemingly never come to fruition, any chance the Gnome Chompsky thing is going to happen? [Laughs]

Yeah, that
#307094 by No OnE
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 pm
I'm glad you made this thread, because after Devin described it at around 51:30 in this video, he might as well take my money today :D
#307124 by Ultimetalhead
Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 am
I don't even have a concept of what something like that would sound like, but it's Dev, so I'd pre-order it right now.
#307173 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:02 am
I'd imagine it would be epic. And loud. :mrgreen:
#307193 by NamasteLikeBender
Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am
I just don't know what to say other than "Please make this happen right fucking now."
#309547 by Zyprexa
Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 pm
That's a great video; it's a riot. I kept wanting him to play an exemplar of what he's describing. Does anyone know if he plays Left 4 Dead?!

Offtopic: I'm so glad that he re-did Kingdom like he mentioned; I'll definitely listen to it just as much as I listened to the original. It's kind of a revelation to see the development in his character.

Dev really makes me realise the extent to which life gets better as you get older. You get insights you didn't previously have and they shape your entire cognitive sphere. They help you to process the world more clearly and give you a better frame of reference for everything else you do. Unless something happens that vastly distorts your overall image of the world (like overwhelming fame or something traumatic), you'll just get better at being you. Dev is just constantly coming up with new ways to surprise me; sometimes when I'm doing my creative artisty rubbish I just think about the extent to which he has progressed and I think about all the projects I have in the pipeline, and I think about everything I've done so far and then I realise that even if I don't get absolutely everything done, at least I'll have produced some semi-complex works of art in various media and discipline.

Basically what I'm saying is that I know almost for a fact that Gnome Chompsky will definitely come to fruition. I would bet vast quantities of money (if I had them) on it being too good of an idea for him not to go through with it. It will definitely take anything from a decade to thirty years, but I would bank on it definitely happening; simply because it is such a hilarious concept and I know he knows that people would be absolutely blown away by it!
#309560 by swervedriver
Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 am
Zyprexa wrote:That's a great video; it's a riot. I kept wanting him to play an exemplar of what he's describing. Does anyone know if he plays Left 4 Dead?

He doesn't. There was a time when Dev was fairly active on Formspring, and (repeatedly) he'd get asked the question whether or not he plays videogames to which he answered no. But then several people were a bit like "omg cant beleive u dont play games there so awsum" (paraphrasing of course), and Dev remained like "nah don't care for them", fueling the fire somewhat. Which I thought was pretty funny. :mrgreen:

As for this thing, I hope it sees the light of day, but with Z2 and Casualties of Cool in the works I fear it'll get shuffled under. Maybe it'll be a bonus disc release to another album one day, but I don't know whether this album would be marketable (ugh I hate that word) on its own. Then again, without a note recorded yet it's way too early to tell anyway. Yay speculation!
#309696 by Quantumleaper
Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 am
Maybe it'll be a bonus disc release to another album one day, but I don't know whether this album would be marketable (ugh I hate that word) on its own.

If he wants to make an album, no marketability in the world will stop him.
#309697 by Octillus
Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 am
Quantumleaper wrote:
Maybe it'll be a bonus disc release to another album one day, but I don't know whether this album would be marketable (ugh I hate that word) on its own.

It seems like he sells a little bit more than about the same with every release. I'm sure it'll find its own way.
#310106 by No OnE
Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm
Questionable marketability? I'll buy 20000 of them, how about that? :D
#310267 by hunter_mc
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm
Quantumleaper wrote:

Just from the way he describes it in the video, I could see Devin (beaming with pride) turning in the completed album to the label and they take one listen and go, "yeah... so Devin, how about doing some more songs that sound more like Epicloud?"

But on the other hand, maybe that's okay, as long as he can self-release it like The Hummer. Not everything an artist records has to be their defining musical statement for the next stage of their career, with a marketing plan in place to sell it to the masses. These days, it would be cool enough to just put out a press release to announce it and put it out there on iTunes and/or Amazon as a digital download.
#310996 by LicoriceLain
Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:04 am
Quantumleaper wrote:I think the label knows who they're dealing with.

Eh, don't be so sure. Yes, he is one of the more unique musicians around, but that does not make him invulnerable to the forces of the market.

That being said, given that Ziltoid managed to get out and Z2 seems to be having the same fortune, I can't imagine that the label would take a whole lot of issue with him releasing an album like Obviouser as long he releases something else not long after that is more marketable.