The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#316972 by prof. wedgie
Tue May 07, 2013 4:52 am
Lettuce wrote:Devin has a lot of people behind the scenes who would ensure nothing like that would EVER happen.
Fan-funding has been taken into consideration for the Ziltoid project as it's a much more costly process than an album would be (artists, film-makers, studio hire, equipment, consumable resources etc.) and all of this stuff has to be paid for up front. It would enable Devin to not only see how the project will be received; but in combination with all the good exposure he's being given recently, it would ensure that he has enough funding to present the character to the public in a way that was unfathomable even just six years ago (Trust me on this one, it's gonna be fricking massive!!!! But that's all I'm saying on that.) without risking everything.

oh you tease! :D

But I'd totally get behind the fan funding. For the VIP packages that have been done for gigs, you always get great value for money, so I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem coming up with the incentives or anything like that, and there's other people that are just glad to support him no matter what
#316974 by Lettuce
Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 am
I haven't said anything Dev hasn't already said! Trust me though, this isn't going to be a handycam in the garage affair...excited for Ziltoid? You SHOULD be!
#316975 by Bookwyrm83
Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 am

But yes, I will be most intrigued. And if realistic fan-funding is proposed and I can spare a few bucks, I don't see why not.
#316976 by hog
Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 am
It's interesting, especially regarding Ziltoid 2.

Devin has recently stated that he doesn't want to consider commercial offers but it shall surely be an expensive one to fund properly.
#317167 by mattyryan86
Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 am
always a fan of fan funding projects, makes me feel like ive contributed in some way other than buying the cd/dvd

would love for dev to do a fan-funding for ziltoid. I better start saving :mrgreen:
#317482 by MrDishington
Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 am
From the mouth of Twitter-Dev:
Okay, question time guys: I have been considering doing a Pledge drive and I'd love your input... I have 2 projects currently.
I'm weirded out by Pledge drives because I think it can be viewed as sucking your audience for money, however both projects are self funded.
Casualties is the closest to my heart of stuff I've done since Ki, but may ostracize those who are new to what I do...
If it's not funded properly, (as an independent release) it will get buried. It needs marketing funds and video etc to complete itself
But Ziltoid and all its satellite projects is a much more engaging project for the casual 'fan' and makes sense to have fun with that pledge
Management thinks I should Pledge Casualties but I'm not sure it's the right move, you know? I don't want to do two...It's cheesy I think.
Please help me make my mind u!, Obviously each has special perks and really cool incentives, but frankly...I'm confused. -Devin
#317483 by debs
Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 pm
devy shoudn't worry about taken money from us, but it will be easy for us to help him out.
#317484 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 pm
My vote's on Casualties. Something smaller and more personal like that shouldn't get lost in the ether. Besides, many of us have been pining for it, why not help out if we can.
#317486 by swervedriver
Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:05 am
Exactly. Ziltoid's bigger and has a more established fanbase/following, and thus it's likely much easier to find funds for that.
#317488 by catharsis
Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 am
yea but if most of casualties is already completed, what kind of special videos would we get? probably not much. with ziltoid, I can see the whole "ZTV" type thing be incorporated into the pledge videos. plus it will probably be way more interesting seeing what's involved in all that technical heavy music than just him on an acoustic guitar with more minimal background music.

i'd support either one/both. just saying ziltoid would probably make more sense, even though it probably appeals to more people already. and I don't think us hardcore fans will forget about casualties either way.
#317495 by TerminX
Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:05 am
I told him on the bird website that I'd personally rather fund the production of an album than the promotion, but I'd pledge to either one in a heartbeat. He could just do one that's "for Ziltoid, and anything we hit over the limit will go to Casualties" or something. Or even a single fund for Ziltoid and Casualties. I dunno.
#317496 by ppinkham
Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 am
I think management is gently telling Devin that they have no faith in Casualties to make money, and therefore it isn't something they want to spend time and money promoting. The next stage of Ziltoid album will be huge, and that is where they need to be focus. His management has done very well at promoting the Dev product, so I think Dev should do as they suggest. Fan-funding for left-field projects is probably the best idea for now. Doing a pledge for Casualties will be a good test of what kind of money he can realistically expect, and he can plan future projects around it. As far as Ziltoid goes, I think using fan-funding for satellite projects like ZTV would be awesome.
#317499 by Octillus
Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 am
ppinkham wrote:I think management is gently telling Devin that they have no faith in Casualties to make money, and therefore it isn't something they want to spend time and money promoting. The next stage of Ziltoid album will be huge, and that is where they need to be focus. His management has done very well at promoting the Dev product, so I think Dev should do as they suggest. Fan-funding for left-field projects is probably the best idea for now. Doing a pledge for Casualties will be a good test of what kind of money he can realistically expect, and he can plan future projects around it. As far as Ziltoid goes, I think using fan-funding for satellite projects like ZTV would be awesome.

I'm with this entirely. I also think this is a great opportunity to show that mellow dev does in fact have a viable audience that will support his mellowness.
#317501 by PUNCHLINE
Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:24 am
Sounds like a lot of bands are thinking they can just come up with a Kickstarter type of campaign and make a fortune, then overdoing their initial target and then fans are left feeling ripped off or disappointed hen it all goes tits up and not enough money is pledged. Always better to have a low target and go from there. Not every campaign can be as successful as Gingers or Amanda Palmer`s, but everyone now thinks their will be, lol.

As for Dev, he has a very strong and loyal fanbase that is probably more susceptible to providing a successful campaign than a lot of other bands. He's systematically built things up slowly over many years and been consistent with both quality and quantity of output, thus providing a more solid base to work from. No matter which album he chooses for his campaign Im sure it will be a success, as long as the targets are realistic.