The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#322974 by Naffis-kun
Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:59 pm
These days Devin features female singers such as Anneke on his albums.
Most fans seem to enjoy this, but I don't. Devin's voice has always been one of the key things that I enjoy in his songs.
It was fun for a while, as something to spice things up a little bit. But now that Anneke/whoever sings full verses instead of Devin, I'm disappointed!
Devin, are you tired of listening to your own voice, or what? :) I sure as hell am not. Don't think another singer could perform your songs better than you do. I've heard Supercrush, for example, being sung live by Devin only and it sounds more epic than the album version with subtle female vocals.
I'm well aware that this is a matter of personal opinion but I just wanted to say this out loud.
#323120 by Teej
Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:52 am
I loved Anneke on both Addicted and Epicloud, but on Sky Blue it has started to feel like too much. What made those first two records cool was the mixture of Dev and Anneke singing, imo. And yes, Dev has actually said that he is sick of hearing his own voice and I'm sure that was a factor with Z2. He has said several times in the past that he feels his writing style lends itself to female vocals, which I agree with. That being said, I do miss Devin's vocals on the latest release. He is a monster singer; one only has to give Deadhead a listen to figure that out.

I also wish he would back off the choir vocals a bit. It was really cool on Epicloud, but now it feels like every other song is a challenge to figure the lyrics out due to the layered choir voices.
#323121 by fragility
Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:55 am
I can't fault any of the performances, and I really like the textural element of the female vox, but it's Devin's voice I truly love, so I do prefer the Dev-centric vocal stuff.
#323384 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:19 am
Anneke does seem to be a bit overused lately but she works well with Dev. Maybe Fallout would have been better with Dev on the lead but to give her credit, she did make those sections her own. That said, I agree that Supercrush live with just him is awesome. Even on By a Thread when he picked up the (previously) female vocals on Feather and other Ghost tracks it sounded great.
The stuff with Che is faultless in my opinion, and I couldn't picture it any other way.
#323386 by Faffy
Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:53 am
I'm a bit torn on this 'issue'... On one hand I am rather grumpypants that we don't get more of Dev's voice in his recent music, while on the other hand the female vocals are absolutely amazingsauce. Ché, Anneke, Floor, Dominique, Katrina... gah! So.Good.
#323444 by sleuth
Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm
All his female vocalists are great, and I also like his use of choirs. That being said, Devin himself is my favourite vocalist to listen to and I prefer when it's mainly his voice in his music.
#323465 by Kleo
Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:14 pm
I don't really care either way except when I comes to Ché. Ché rules.
#323555 by catharsis
Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:39 am
loved the introduction of female vocals way back on alien & synchestra and tend to love a mixture of male/female vocals (maudlin of the well for example). gotta admit I wasn't impressed w/ che on ki, however she is absolutely stunning on casualties. anneke's voice is just beautiful so even if it's a "bit" much lately, I'm not complaining.
#323703 by elvendio
Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:43 pm
I can't say it enough that Sky Blue is phenomenal. The mix of vocals on this album is hypnotizing. I love most of Devs work but I would not complain if all albums to come sound like this masterpiece.