The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#324262 by SilenceHarmsYourEars
Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:26 am
Figured this was best in the DT section although it applies to all bands.

Why doesn't DT and bands in general release more albums in instrumental-only versions, or with all the various backing tracks and tracks split up so you can get a different listening experience?

Obviously it would be extra money if they wanted to do an actual full release but - I'm sure their's an audience for people who would buy the extra CD.

There are a lot of good DT tracks that would be interesting to hear without any vocals, for example.
#324272 by swervedriver
Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 am
The audience is most likely too small to justify the investment of remixing / remastering / production of the extra CD. I like instrumentals, and it's certainly interesting to hear different mixes of them, but for me the novelty of it also wears off quickly. The instrumental version of Alien for example was great to hear, but I'm pretty much always playing the 'full' version, so to speak, unless it pops up on a random shuffle.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this, but if I recall correctly the Contain Us box has stems of both Bend It Like Bender and Juular.
#324298 by NamasteLikeBender
Sun May 10, 2015 5:37 pm
static2 wrote:plus anything pre-2005 can't be released as instrumentals without re-recording, since the tapes are gone from The Great Flood.

Sounds like a good idea for Dev's final box set. If he's sick of singing, and thinks this would be a fun way to go out (30 years from now?), I'd be on board.
#324300 by Bookwyrm83
Tue May 12, 2015 2:34 am
If he's going to make instrumentals I'd rather they be new and specifically instrumental. Just hearing established tracks with vocals removed can be fun but after awhile I start picturing the singing along with it. Straight up instrumentals with no vocals intended (or at least, no singing) that I haven't heard before would sound more enticing and would probably be more rewarding for him to be involved with.

But of course, it all depends on what direction Dev wants to take. If he wishes to do something like this in future, he definitely has my support.
#324315 by catharsis
Mon May 18, 2015 7:15 am
instrumental version of alien? wtf? never heard of that before. anyway, I can see him MAYBE doing this on new albums as a bonus disc but not rereleasing old albums.
#324327 by static2
Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 am
catharsis wrote:instrumental version of alien? wtf? never heard of that before. anyway, I can see him MAYBE doing this on new albums as a bonus disc but not rereleasing old albums.

yeah, someone involved in production leaked the album prior to Dev's vocal recording. the mixes are almost the same as the final except there are no transitions between songs and a couple of songs are missing altogether. same thing goes for the advance promo that is the final album but with extended "Love?" and the alternate stuff in "We Ride." the album was changing right up to the last minute! much like Z2.