The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come

Would you buy the flood-money-for-Devy fan tribute CD?

40%
40%
10%
10%
#33746 by Greg Reason
Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:00 am
Hey guys

As I've posted in the official flood album section, I want to try and revive this project myself. The only thing is I don't know if we even have enough tracks to warrant doing this so I would like everyone who has already recorded a track for this project, whether it is a Devin cover or an original, to pipe up now and tell me so I can see whether it is worth doing this or not. If we only have four or five songs then we needn't bother, but I'm hoping that people have just been silent about their masterpieces.

Speak!

Secondly, who would consider buying this CD? I don't personally care about being reimbursed for the cost of making these disks so there is no money that needs to be heading my way, so I'm thinking that if we have around ten tracks then maybe Dev can put it on his webstore for ten US dollars then that would be fair to us fans and would be a nice little amount to help HDR come back up off this flood situation, so who would consider buying it????

#33754 by Sinkharmony
Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:12 am
I thought we were just going to set up an online site to upload songs to so that everyone could download them for free and burn them at their whim? I figure that would be easier and more flexible than trying to put out a CD. It would leave the option to add more tracks in the future, and it would alleviate the need to have a mininum # of contributors.

#33766 by Catatonik
Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:45 am
I would pay for it likely.

#33792 by Coma Divine
Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:27 am
Sinkharmony wrote:I thought we were just going to set up an online site to upload songs to so that everyone could download them for free and burn them at their whim? I figure that would be easier and more flexible than trying to put out a CD. It would leave the option to add more tracks in the future, and it would alleviate the need to have a mininum # of contributors.
How would that help HDR financially? I thought this idea (as well as showcasing the not inconsiderable talents of Forum folk) was to assist Dev, Tracy and Co. get back on dry land.
    I thought Greg's idea of being able to download the cover/REPLACE of one's choice was a good one, as this also gives the graphics guys out there a chance to air their wares and each of the buyers to customise their own CD to an extent.
      I's certainly buy one! :D

#33800 by flood_of_rain
      Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:54 am
      I'd definately buy one, without a doubt :D
      I'd love to hear everybody's spin on the Dev style and also help them out at the same time!

#33803 by mistress2metal
      Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:01 am
      It could be set up so that people pay a few dollars for the downloads.... that would save on burning cd's and shipping and other unneccessary expenses.. just a thought.

#33851 by naas
      Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:21 am
      i would buy it if its all dev covers..

#33873 by Sinkharmony
      Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:02 am
      mistress2metal wrote:It could be set up so that people pay a few dollars for the downloads.... that would save on burning cd's and shipping and other unneccessary expenses.. just a thought.

That's a good idea. Someone could also download the songs and make a CD that people could purchase if they wanted to.

The only problem I see with creating an actual CD is that it relies on several factors to come through. First off is getting enough people to do it whilst maintaining a certain quality level. Second is getting a place to actually sell the cd from...if HevyDevy is willing to do it that would be great, but you can't really rely on that being the case. Third, there is the question of materials. Are we talking a real pressed CD in a jewel case with booklet with pictures and lyrics or are we talking about burned CD-Rs with a printed out cover? The latter would be cheaper, but who is going to pay money for a burned CD??

Another problem with selling the CD through HevyDevy is shipping concerns. Do we expect them to ship out the CDs themselves or someone else willing to take on that responsibility? Depending on demand, that could be a pretty difficult task.

Another question is contribution material. I already saw someone post saying that they would buy the CD only if it were all covers. Originally the idea was to be either covers or originals inspired by Devin. If the market audience is split on what they want to hear then the potential for less people to buy CDs is a question.

Not to mention that if more people wanted to contribute down the line, they would either be out of luck or it would require the creation of another CD.

In the end, I think that if you want to contribute money to the flood cause, you would be better served just buying a SYL/DTB cd, shirt, hoodie, video or whatever directly from the HevyDevy site. On the mp3 page we could put up banners that link to HevyDevy and info on upcoming releases. So perhaps that will draw additional people to HevyDevy.com and they will purchase merch which will help out Devin's cause anyways. We want this to be easy for contributors and listeners to get into and enjoy.

#33961 by Tren
      Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:08 pm
      I'm not around much these days so could somebody please just let me know when i have to send a track.

Or pm me or something. thank you.

#34157 by Eyesore
      Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:42 am
      From experience, let it drop until someone steps up to the plate. How many people have offered to "take charge" of this already?? 99% of the time, that's all that will happen. Someone will offer their help because they're excited about the project, then they realize it's not such a simple process and they drop it, leaving fans and participants disappointed.

Trust me, I've done tribute CDs before. I know the process, I know how much work it takes. I've offered to do this because I started this very same project years ago and we had to stop it because it became a nuisance to Dev and Tracy, but we were almost there and we had the backing and help from Devin and Tracy. Too many of you are not grasping how big something like this can get. When I was going to do it before it turned into a monster!! Sites like Blabbermouth and The PRP were reporting that Fear Factory was going to be on the CD!! Tracy and Dev were getting tons of e-mails each day about it, so for the sake of Dev and Tracy's sanity we dropped the idea. Regardless if the scope of this project is not as broad as the one I was going to do, it's still going to be a lot of work if you want to make something worthwhile.

Why do a CDR? Say I spend days and weeks (which should be a minimum) working on a DT cover song. All that hard work I put into it and the song only gets put on a CDR?? Something a monkey could do? What needs to happen is the songs need to be compiled together, then MASTERED (about $400). Get some killer artwork done, which should be easy to get done for free (Geoff and I both do graphic design, as others here do, I'm sure). Then you have real CDs made up. Each band/artist can contribute money (like $50) to help with costs. Devin and Tracy may help (they were willing before), and the coordinator of the project can pay the rest and make the CD worth owning, worth buying.

In order for this to work, it has to be worth it to everyone involved. A CDR may sound cool now, but it will only be disappointing and boring in the end.

#34289 by Greg Reason
      Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:42 pm
      Fair enough. I think that the interest is there and that people would buy it, but it concerns me that no one has stepped up and said they've done tracks........ So am I to believe that the only people who have actually done anything is me and that guy who did Deep Peace? That's a bit dissapointing.....

Oh well. So that's that. I guess I'll just get my tracks mp3ed and I'll whack them up here sometime next week and if enough people get their shit together then maybe we can consider doing this thing for real. I don't think a burnt CD would be too bad, I mean fuck, that's what the Official Bootleg and all that were.... And similarly, I understand why you would feel a little gyped putting in a lot of effort to do a track and have it only come out on a burnt disk, but shouldn't this just be a fun thing? Shouldn't this be about helping Devin, not showing off how good we are?

Anyway.... Mp3s it is.

#34295 by Sinkharmony
      Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:49 pm
      Greg Reason wrote:Fair enough. I think that the interest is there and that people would buy it, but it concerns me that no one has stepped up and said they've done tracks........ So am I to believe that the only people who have actually done anything is me and that guy who did Deep Peace? That's a bit dissapointing.....

Oh well. So that's that. I guess I'll just get my tracks mp3ed and I'll whack them up here sometime next week and if enough people get their shit together then maybe we can consider doing this thing for real. I don't think a burnt CD would be too bad, I mean fuck, that's what the Official Bootleg and all that were.... And similarly, I understand why you would feel a little gyped putting in a lot of effort to do a track and have it only come out on a burnt disk, but shouldn't this just be a fun thing? Shouldn't this be about helping Devin, not showing off how good we are?

Anyway.... Mp3s it is.

I have a song, but it's not done yet. It's mostly done, but I have to re-do the drums. However, it's not a cover, it's an original. So, if it's just covers then I guess I'm out for now. I know that several people said they did songs on the other thread.

#34440 by Eyesore
      Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:14 am
      I did an acoustic cover of "War" for the comp I was putting together, but it doesn't sound great anymore. I layered 26 guitar tracks alone, and as I kept bouncing them down the sound quality got worse and worse. I only have an 8-track, so it's expected I guess. Plus, I'm no genius behind the knobs.

I'd be willing to try another track though.

#34538 by Greg Reason
      Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:49 pm
      That's all good. If we're just going with the website version of this then people can complete tracks at their own leisure. The onyl thing that bums me out about the website idea is that Dev won't get much money... I think I'll make a single of my tracks locally and send Dev some money later on.