The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#73516 by organic spiral
Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:26 pm
Hey all in Dev world!

I was bored today and I thought I'd take the time to show you all a little observation I made on Devin's music. I have seen this kind of topic before in other postings and such but never really saw it explained in real detail. Since I had started listening to Dev I had made these connections between his albums and the various elements of nature.
We all know every one of his albums hold a distinct mood, flavor and landscape and I thought I'd share with you some of my thoughts on possible themes of each work relating to our natural and fantasical surroundings. I included the SYL albums since each of them holds a certain distinctness too.

Ocean Machine - Ocean (Or Water)
This is defenetly a no-brainer. We all know that the common string that holds these songs together is the essence of water. The album sounds like actual waves sometimes calm and serene gently rippling like 3am and The Death Of Music or storming into a viscious cresendo like Regulator or Bastard. The music hear constantly shifts and sways effortlessly like the tide and smoothly like blankets over your tired body. It seems like the ears never need to strain to listen to this album, only to allow themselves to drift with its flowing nature. Its epicness and innocence echoes the vastness and power of the oceans themselves. Songs that seem to come flooding out of its celestial voice.

Terria - Forest
Even Dev himself has been quoted as this being his "Earth" album. I would like to take it a step further to narrow down to his "forest" album simply because of its tenderness and complexity, and also the sounds of birdsong, flutes and all kinds of wildlife give me a pretty good clue on its nature. That's not to mention the actual songs themselves hold sort of a woodsy feel to them. The acoustics of Deep Peace over a potpourri of green noise. The tribal playfulness of Down And Under. Even some of the lyrics lead to a wilderness feel such as Canada and Mountian. The songs here seem to stem from a primative state, not stripped down persay but just very rooted and alive filled with little colorful surpises almost like a walk in the middle of a rainforest.

Physicist - Outer Space
Someone once said on this forum (can't remember who) that this album sounded like a bunch of alien spaceships that just touched down on our planet, like a little happy-go-lucky welcoming celebration. That always stuck with me because from the start I always had visions when listening to this album of blasting through the vastness of space at light speed watching all the fragments of planets and stars pass me as I gleefully go. (Or something like that). The songs though heavy and speedy are never weighed down with anger or violence but act more like a intergalactic spaceship ride through the cosmos. Every note like a twinkling star and every blastbeat the nitros on your little cylinder engines pushing you forward. The atmosphere on this album and the way the songs sort of gently crash into each other is metaphorically like the way the universe is constantly changing, exploding, racing to expand itself much like the album races by to widen and become almost infinite by the time Planet Rain comes on.

Accelerated Evolution - Sky
I had to think a little about this one at first, but after awhile there was no doubt in my mind that this album's expansive and almost simplistic nature related to the sky in many ways. First off, the way that these songs open up slowly and almost hypnotically unfold was like watching the clouds slowly roll by overhead. Sometimes you can see clouds painlessly merge to form another cloud and so on reshaping the decoration against the baby blue vastness yet never really causing the entire sky to morph enough for you to notice. Its in the way some songs on AE change yet without really listening can pass by your ears without picking up on it. Surely the epic nature Of AE is in direct connection with the endless palette of the sky. While Deadhead could be a song of a clear night sky of vast arrays of stars and Sunday Afternoon can be of cotton ball clouds and bright Florida blues and Storm can be...well?...like watching a raging rain release its burdens.

Infinity - ?
The reason I put a question mark there is simply the fact that Infinity has its roots deep into something completely alien. It could almost be the soundtrack to the imagination. The limitless of creativity. The actual music of life itself. Whatever it is, its deep and its something not easily translated to words, which is why I'm not even going to try and explain it in detail. This album holds a different deep meaning to everyone here and trying to explain it would simply be rude to me. I don't think this album was meant to be fully picked apart anyway. It's way to involved. But if I had to come up with something I would say its the music of God.

Devlab - Desert
Now don't get me wrong. In no ways is this album bland and featureless as my little desert defenition would have you believe. But the absence of traditional instruments, song structures and basic musical scope remind me of the absence and disconnections associated with a desert landscape. Fragments of sounds are like fragments of sand. The shifting audio is like shifting dunes under the tender wind. Beautiful and dismal, barren yet never boring. Sometimes loud and intense like a sandstorm or barely heard like the rays of the hot still sun.

I was going to do the SYL albums too in this post but its getting late and I'm tired :). But I assure you I will get to them soon in another post. Hope you enjoy my thoughts. Remember, in no way am I making facts and statements about these albums, these are just little observations I've made. It really makes listening to his music a whole other level of enjoyment. Like an entire world constructed out of his work. And hopefully, some of you might take something from what I've wrote, but if you're anything like me I'm sure you already have your own meanings behind his music. It's all good because its all in what you feel. This is what its all about isn't it? Feelings.

#73521 by mo
Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:15 pm
Terra translates to earth/dirt in several tongues.

#73526 by psychotic
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:35 pm
That is a very interesting observation, I know human will contain the elements of humans, but I'm wondering if fire will ever come up with Devin.

#73527 by rgx612a
Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:36 pm
Cool observations, i agree with alot of it.

#73577 by Blazingmonga
Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:15 am
Very interesting reading organic spiral, I look forward to what you say of the SYL albums.

I always think of each album as having a theme or character like this...though I prefer to try and pinpoint the actual 'message' of the album rather than the soundscape across which that message is transferred.

Its all good though, and we are all insane.

#73581 by steve_dave
Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:26 am
psychotic wrote:That is a very interesting observation, I know human will contain the elements of humans, but I'm wondering if fire will ever come up with Devin.

I'm sure i read somwhere that SYL was Dev's 'fire'

#73619 by Catatonik
Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:21 pm
I was about to say that, SYL definitely seemed like his Fire album, with City being his mechanical/urban landscapes album and HaaRHT being ...the only one I couldn't figure out other than awesome. :)

Infinity I see as the soul/mind scapes album :)

#73624 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:19 pm
Catatonik wrote:I was about to say that, SYL definitely seemed like his Fire album, with City being his mechanical/urban landscapes album and HaaRHT being ...the only one I couldn't figure out other than awesome. :)

its all just different ways of saying "fuck you" really :D

#73644 by psychotic
Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:14 am
Actually, funny thing, I was actually thinking about this post for a brief moment earlier today and I began to wonder if SYL would be what fire is to Devy since I usually match the color red with SYL.

#73649 by simen_88
Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:00 am
I usually think of HaaRHT as being more of a "mechanical" album than City. City has much of the same feel, but it lacks that level of a constant, pounding rhytm.

EDIT: Woo, post 500!

#73678 by asparagusDuck
Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:50 am
I always thought of Infinity as being All Life or maybe the Universe. I think I've heard someone make those connections before.
I also agree that SYL could definitely be the Fire album.

#73698 by organic spiral
Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:45 pm
Thank you guys for the kind words. It helps me realize why I went through the trouble to write all this junk heh.

But now that I'm fully rested I will start on the SYL albums. A word of caution, some of you might be a bit confused by these observations but its the best that I could come up with. I spent some time thinking about these albums since they all sort of reflect a common emotion in Dev. Anger and frustration and all that and they can all easily be put together as one of Dev's many projects. But they hold SO much uniqueness in each of them to ignore. Also, I included Alien on this list though it hasn't been properly released. I'm one of the many of you who in all anxiousness decided to download the album. I apologize if my explaining it causes any turmoil and I hope it doesn't but it felt wrong to leave out such an amazing piece of music. Now that my gibbering is over here they are...

Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing - Cave
This album was probably the hardest of them all to pinpoint since its musical direction is all over the place! However, there are a couple of cues that had me come up with this analogy. First off, anyone familiar with any fantasy mythisism knows that caves are often homes of feared violent beasts. Little can be answered about their nature but whatever they are, they are primative, ugly, crazy and cannot be delt with in any compromising way. This is kind of how the album works. Alot of the music and especially the lyrics are indeed humerous and crazy yet deep beneath it is a boiling monster of scolding and hatred. Songs like SYL, In The Rainy Season and Happy Camper certainly have their share in aggression. While other songs though still retaining their hard and violent edge seem more introspective and a bit out there, almost like looking into the mind of the cave-dwelling beast itself like Skin Me, Goat and Sweet City Jesus. Also, the various rock structures and colors within a cave echo the sheer amount of color in the album. Dazzling lights of samples and noises are to be heard everywhere on this beast though still retaining that sharp and relentless edge like a pink and blue stalagmite hanging off of the cave ceiling.

City - City
Gee, who saw this one coming? In a way its silly to even explain this one. This album just drips with urban metropolitan imagery. Neon soaked city streets of bums, thugs, disease carrying prostitutes as well as scandaling business men, corrupting politicians and loads of city noise, blabber and annoyance just pummel you full circle in a little under forty minutes. Within the music here is a never ending cascade of brutality and art. All Hail The New Flesh certainly sounds as if the entire light infested cityscape just came out and screamed its anthem at the top of its lungs. Oh My Fucking God jumbles up all the commotion and chaos of city life in one death beckoning blast. Room 429 though a cover song drips with the mood of a perverted city stalker and Spirtuality brings it full circle with the line "I'm so fucking sick of all your sick stupid people." Bringing to light the utter frustration felt when sharing a section of the world with a million other assholes fighting for its control

SYL - Hell
I heard it mentioned by many of you that this is without a doubt Dev's Fire album and I too wholeheartedly agree. Though I'd like to take it a step further to say that this album is like the soundtrack to hell itself. It's color is most certainly red (the color of fire) and red certainly fits hell well. The songs here seem to be very stripped, the riffs deadly and evil, almost black metalish at times. Also the lyrics though mostly pertaining to war almost give you a hint at where this album might have came from "Gates of Hell! Open for YOU!!!" With every riff i can almost see the merciless slashing of sinners boiling in the cauldron of fire they have sculpted in life. The albums reeks punishment and damnation all over it, its plain to see it in songs as Rape Song, Devour, Aftermath and Bring On The Young.

Alien - Storm
I thought about this one awhile too and though its not really acurate sine I haven't heard Info Dump yet, I'm convinced that this album is like a really dangerous twisting storm. The beginning song just sets the mood off right away that something devilish is forming, watching the black clouds quickly roll in like swelling bowling balls from the south sky, forks of lightning playing in their corpulent bodies. But skeksis brings it all home, pushing the storm into full throttle. The wall of sound generated is like the pounding of hail and thunder and wind on the doomed landscape. Shitstorm is when the tornados touch down and destroy everything in mind's sight. Love is the sonic boom before the clash of lighting from Shine. We Ride almost humorously echoes the Door's song Riders Of The Storm. Two Weeks even acts as the eye of the storm before Thalamus brings back a crushing thunder and steady melancholy of rain and Zen whirls up the hurricane once more. And I have a feeling by the time Info Dump unleashes, the world is already a tattered, battered, mess.

#73968 by Gossamer Wings
Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:40 pm
Very good - but I differ in opinion on a couple of things. For me, physicist is more of a science/techology album than space. It's very mechanical,robotic and mathematic. I've always said that infinity was the space album - for the reasons you mention - alien - the limitlessness of the imagination - and the whole space/planet evolution thing - the birth of everything. Also - with Terria - I get more of an earth/land vibe from it than a forest one. Vast sweeping planes etc. just look at the front cover. It's oil. It's wheat. It's soil. It's meat. It's......beef.
But this is all my opinion and I certainly can't base it on fact. Each album is whatever it means to you.

PS. "Love" off the new strapping cd, is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

#73978 by Violet
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:50 pm
Storm and Life are increadibly euphoric songs and Kingdom is rather innocent in a way.

#74277 by IBrokeAString
Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:24 am
Physicist sounds like a hysterically screeching Giger Alien creature strapped to an amplified nuclear-powered circus organ flying through space with three times the speed of light.

at least that was my first connotation

the one for Infinity sounds similar except that it's more a heavy freightliner with a jet engine shoving that big honking circus organ around