The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come

#78307 by Barking Pumpkin
Tue May 24, 2005 7:23 pm
I would be interested also. From the 'Sex And Religion' album, I would probably guess he was a Tenor, but some of the Devin Townsend things sound more like a Baritone maybe. Ten year time issue there, so there's obviously some effect there, not sure.

It's also hard to tell range because with the screams that he uses a lot you can go above and beyond your normal range, which is partly why a lot of DTB sounds like a baritone to me. I guess we'll have to get the answer from Devin.

#78317 by Achilles
Wed May 25, 2005 12:37 am
You know the part in "THE DEATH OF MUSIC" where he sings "...Oooohhhh, ooohh..." at the end of the song? Well, that's his clean voice!

I'm a baritone, and I can sing "LIFE" (with some warm-up), but hitting that part in the "THE DEATH OF MUSIC" is impossible. DEVIN is tenor... I'm sure...

;)

#78374 by simen_88
Thu May 26, 2005 11:41 am
Achilles wrote:You know the part in "THE DEATH OF MUSIC" where he sings "...Oooohhhh, ooohh..." at the end of the song? Well, that's his clean voice!

I'm a baritone, and I can sing "LIFE" (with some warm-up), but hitting that part in the "THE DEATH OF MUSIC" is impossible. DEVIN is tenor... I'm sure...

;)
Not necessarily, he may just have a very long range. A guy at my school is a baritone, and he can go extremely deep as well. At least to the A below the E string on a bass guitar.

#78433 by simen_88
Fri May 27, 2005 7:45 am
I think Bad Devil sounds mixed, that's definitely not his clean voice. When you sing clean, there's much more tone in your voice.

#78526 by Persuader
Sun May 29, 2005 3:19 pm
simen_88 wrote:I think Bad Devil sounds mixed, that's definitely not his clean voice. When you sing clean, there's much more tone in your voice.

It´s definately pitched down..If you watch the live vid from Japan you can hear both the effect and his "real" voice.

#78563 by Barking Pumpkin
Mon May 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Bad Devil?

The album version sounds just like an amplified version of that obnoxious noise you can make with your throat......you know, I can't really describe it, except that you can make that "door creaking open sound" with it. And probably pitched down a little also.

Then the thing he uses live is a completely different voice modulator thing......some kind of "devil voice."