The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#125933 by hopeleaves04
Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:14 am
Hey everyone, im new to the boards. Im not really good at forums and such but Ive tried searching for this and couldnt find shit haha
Does anyone know what kind of gear Devin Townsend uses? (Guitars, amps, effects, keyboards, ect)
*If theres already an existing thread of this that i may have missed could someone please redirect me?*
Thanks guys!
- Mike

#125947 by Atari
Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:35 am
Tuning:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 00&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 4422#84422

Guitars:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 85&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 02&start=0

Amps, etc:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 35&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 35&start=0

In short (and i'll be missing a few):

ESP black custom 7-string baritone (no markings)
LTD SC-607B baritone natural
LTD SC-607 standard scale black (i think it's standard)
LTD EX 6 string silver
Gbson/Epiphone SG 6 string maroon (Synchestra DVD)
Fender Stratocaster 6 string red/yellow sunburst w/ yin-yang sticker

Roland GP-100
Peavey 5150
a Mesa Boogie rig of some description

#125948 by Atari
Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:37 am
...and i'll sticky this so I don't have to repeat myself.

#126015 by hopeleaves04
Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 pm
thanks! much appreciated! :D

#126759 by rgx612a
Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:34 am
There's really not much info on his early rig. Jed and Gene confirmed Devin used an amp called a "Morin" on "City" though. Through much research i confirmed that a guy named Mike Morin modded and built amplifiers....so it was probably one of his amps. I absolutely love that tone on "City", it's one of the heaviest and most aggressive metal tones i've ever heard. I wonder if the same amp was used on Ocean Machine too? Or if it was the 5150?

#127201 by andjustinforall
Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:22 am
Hmm well Ocean Machine sounds pretty 5150ish to me at times but it's impossible to tell with chorus and delays etc...

#127283 by Namaste
Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:00 pm
I remember reading that OM was a 5150 under all the chorus, delay and reverb, in a newsletter interview. Sounds like one too, if you've an ear for them.

#127337 by A-Daamage
Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:33 am
Okay, from what I can remember, for the Ocean Machine recordings, Dev used 5150's for the heavier rhythm sections, e.g. Seventh Wave, Regulator, Hide Nowhere, etc., and for all the other guitar sounds it's the GP-100. For instance, the intro to Greetings is most certainly the GP-100. There is no way on Earth you can make a 5150 sound like that (believe me, I've tried). The same goes for the intro to Funeral, Bastard, Things Beyond Things, etc.

The same distinction can be heard on Synchestra. The opening to Triumph: GP-100. The explosive beatdown at about 00:59 in Hypergeek: Dual Rectifier. Once you get an ear for the GP-100 "tone", it's pretty hard to miss it. It pops up all over Dev's albums. Also remember that Dev tends to mix a whole lot of shit together in one song so a lot of the time he'll have the GP-100 and whatever tube amp he was using at the time both in the same song (Hypergeek is a great example).

#127715 by rgx612a
Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:31 am
A-Daamage wrote:Okay, from what I can remember, for the Ocean Machine recordings, Dev used 5150's for the heavier rhythm sections, e.g. Seventh Wave, Regulator, Hide Nowhere, etc., and for all the other guitar sounds it's the GP-100. For instance, the intro to Greetings is most certainly the GP-100. There is no way on Earth you can make a 5150 sound like that (believe me, I've tried). The same goes for the intro to Funeral, Bastard, Things Beyond Things, etc.

The same distinction can be heard on Synchestra. The opening to Triumph: GP-100. The explosive beatdown at about 00:59 in Hypergeek: Dual Rectifier. Once you get an ear for the GP-100 "tone", it's pretty hard to miss it. It pops up all over Dev's albums. Also remember that Dev tends to mix a whole lot of shit together in one song so a lot of the time he'll have the GP-100 and whatever tube amp he was using at the time both in the same song (Hypergeek is a great example).


Cool info. Isn't the GP-100 a multi-effects processor though? So he'd be running it through the loop of his 5150 or Recto all the time.

#127750 by A-Daamage
Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:44 am
rgx612a wrote:Cool info. Isn't the GP-100 a multi-effects processor though? So he'd be running it through the loop of his 5150 or Recto all the time.


Actually, that's only half right. The GP-100 is a preamp/effects processor, so all you need is a power amp and a speaker cabinet. It's meant to be used as a preamp, which is what Dev used it as. I have both a GP-100 and a 5150, and I run my GP-100 through the effects loop of the 5150, ala the method you mentioned, but this is not typical.

As far as I know, he used the GP-100 run through a DI (direct in) box straight into the mixing console. He recorded the 5150 seperately for the heavier sections with no effects, just the head and cab, recorded through an SM57. Also, when I listen to Ocean Machine, it sounds like he also overlaid the GP-100 distortion over the 5150 distortion for the heavier sections.

In the live situation, I believe Dev uses a splitter to run one signal into the GP-100 and another into whatever amp he's using. That way, he can switch between the sound of the GP-100 and the beefier tube amp. Perhaps a DTB band member can clear this up?

#128127 by The Incision
Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:31 pm
yes live, he runs both at the same time. He runs the dual rectifier (no channel switching) all the time with a splitter running his gp100 as a coupled pre-amp/processor. With distortion also running in it & alot of delay & a very long decay time. Very ambient.
-Brent 8)

#141248 by Windle poons
Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:42 am
Do you know which guitar splitter Dev uses?
Im trying out some Amp/Preamp/Multifx settings with my 5150 and I´s serching for a good Looper/mixer!?

Hey, this is my first post! :lol:

Martin

#147235 by Yanko
Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:48 pm
Atari wrote:Tuning:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 00&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 4422#84422

Guitars:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 85&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 02&start=0

Amps, etc:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 35&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/vie ... 35&start=0

In short (and i'll be missing a few):

ESP black custom 7-string baritone (no markings)
LTD SC-607B baritone natural
LTD SC-607 standard scale black (i think it's standard)
LTD EX 6 string silver
Gbson/Epiphone SG 6 string maroon (Synchestra DVD)
Fender Stratocaster 6 string red/yellow sunburst w/ yin-yang sticker

Roland GP-100
Peavey 5150
a Mesa Boogie rig of some description


people who bump by this nowadays should replace "phpbb" with "forums" on the links

http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/vi ... 00&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/vi ... 4422#84422

Guitars:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/vi ... 85&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/vi ... 02&start=0

Amps, etc:
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/vi ... 35&start=0
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/vi ... 35&start=0

#147265 by Atari
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:11 am
Cheers me dear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest