The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come

Which Dev vibe tweaks your nipples most?

16%
16%
34%
34%

#13066 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:34 pm
I agree, it is very hard to chose, because both are very unique. The 'rough' voice is awesome, and suits that style of music well. The 'smooth' is soothing and it also suits it's style of music. Sometimes I like the one better than the other... today I like the rough i've been listing to oh my fucking god all day....

#13107 by YoungOne
Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:39 pm
right now the smooth stuff is working for me so you can kinda guess which style i chose.

#13113 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:43 pm
yeah tonight is a DTB night... thats odd, i just realized it but isn't it odd how we're all fans of Devin/SYL yet they are two totally different types of music....

#13130 by Torniojaws
Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:12 am
Where's "Both" ;)

#13134 by Coma Divine
Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:25 am
Yeah! Good question! :shock:
    I generally find my left nip being fairly enchanted by a bit of smoothness, while my right one can take any fierce vocalisations thrown in its direction...
      What an odd metaphor... :?

#13162 by THE_NEW_PLAGUE
      Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:47 am
      I went with smooth. Its just something very special and unique about that stuff.
      But the rough stuff is pretty awesome as well tho.

#13169 by Oscar
      Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:21 am
      Both! Yin doesn't work without Yang :?

#13177 by Apophis
      Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:10 am
      simbelmyne wrote:actually it's the combination of both, smooth and rough, that attracts me. but i'll take smooth for liking dtb better. no, i like syl better. NO!! DAMN!!! :?

It depends.

A lot of the time I really appreciate the blend of heavy (rough) with the melodic (smooth) on the likes of Accelerated Evolution, but I just as much love the outright "balls to the wall" pure-adrenaline-in-a-can-"does exactly what it says on the tine" of SYL...

#13205 by thefillersweetcityjesus
      Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:19 am
      right now im obsessed with teh song seventh wave... i dont know why, i love it.
      I also like Canada, exciter, dynamics, things beyond things and japan... I haven't listened to too mcuh SYL lately, more DTB...

#13620 by Greg Reason
      Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:05 am
      I'd like to think that we all love both extremes, hence us being present on the Devy board :lol:

However, if I had to choose the one that Devin does best, I think it is his smooth stuff.... You all know already that I think Meshuggah do the heavy shit way better than SYL..... But I don't think anyone does the beautiful, melodic, emotional stuff as good as Devin does. Opeth come close, but Devin has more sincerity in his lyrics than Mikael seems to....

Greg

#13625 by StrappingYoungLad
      Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:09 am
      Greg Reason wrote:I'd like to think that we all love both extremes, hence us being present on the Devy board :lol:

However, if I had to choose the one that Devin does best, I think it is his smooth stuff.... You all know already that I think Meshuggah do the heavy shit way better than SYL..... But I don't think anyone does the beautiful, melodic, emotional stuff as good as Devin does. Opeth come close, but Devin has more sincerity in his lyrics than Mikael seems to....

Greg

Meshuggah are great! I LOVE those cats..have all their albums etc etc...but SYL are by far HEAVIER! And more metal. Meshuggah are quite repetitive (timing etc) in what they do. Their songs aren't alike..thats not what i'm saying...but they can be predictable (heavy vocals, complex rhythms etc)..theres no variation...for eg...Dev does clean vocals on SYL albums, and there are moments that aren't quite metal..which is a great thing :twisted: :P :lol: :wink:

#13628 by Greg Reason
      Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:16 am
      I dunno about heavier.. I don't think there is a heavier album on Earth than Nothing... It's like sledgehammers pounding stone.... Take "Nebulous", for instance...
      Last edited by Greg Reason on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

#13630 by StrappingYoungLad
      Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:22 am
      There is no doubt i agree with what you are saying...NOTHING is a heavy album indeed...especially in that tuning dude! I guess it is a 'different' heavy 8) I just 'prefer' SYL any day...but thats just me. I find that Dev has a lot more to offer than most other bands and that is just because he is multi-talented, gifted in many areas and an amazing musician (composer, player, innovator) etc :D

Listen to Detox..after Dev says 'play that stupid piece of shit'..you can hear a sample that sounds like the alarm on Future Breed Machine.....cool

Chris (Austalia)

#13641 by Devinaddicted_Nils
      Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:42 am
      simbelmyne wrote:actually it's the combination of both, smooth and rough, that attracts me. but i'll take smooth for liking dtb better. no, i like syl better. NO!! DAMN!!! :?

that's the thought that came to my mind...can't decide at all...shit...it's all to damn good. :surprise: