The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#198835 by daneulephus
Thu May 21, 2009 11:39 am
PoopTart wrote:JUST posted.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/feature.php?id=5741

This interview was an eye opener for me. I just listened to Ki while sun bathing.....and I heard it like I haven't heard it before. I stayed away from it for a few weeks to make it fresh again, and I found so many more layers I didn't hear, and it just made me think really deeply....esp. songs like Terminal and Lady Helen and Ki.

The interview and my recent Ki listen helped me realize that the music I am making right now is exactly the way it is supposed to be, and I should stop being paranoid about what people will think of it. Basically, I am making an album that has all of my musical elements in it: Total chaos, heaviness, ambience, drama, uplifting melody, catchiness, electronics, etc.... And that is the way it is supposed to be. The songs should come as they ARE, not what I or anyone else may THINK they should be. Music is best when it writes itself. Sure I have alot to do with it....but I think of it like I am just the pilot guiding something that is way bigger than I am.

Thank you Devin, you have helped my spiritual and musical journey once again.

Dan http://www.myspace.com/1omegaproject
#198873 by WarmSilence
Thu May 21, 2009 5:21 pm
Here's one me and Dev just did Monday:

http://www.musicemissions.com/artists/D ... send+(band)

EDIT: For some reason I can't get the direct link to work. Use the search feature to the upper-right of the page and search "Devin Townsend". you should be able to find it. If not, I'll post the transcript here.

(Scroll down and click the "Interview" Tab, it's after the list of albums. You can read a few of my album reviews there too by clicking on each album, if you're so inclined)

I apologize for the line-spacing, our template isn't too favorable with copy-pasting stuff. The audio of the interview will also be posted there shortly (waiting for the admin to set it up proper). Hope everyone enjoys it; I've certainly enjoyed the ones I've read/seen here. Great stuff.

Also, I know Dev reads these forums, and even if he doesn't see this I just wanted to say thanks. I know it can be an uncomfortable business, these interviews, but I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on things, especially the whole quitting smoking thing. I know we can relate there, and honestly you're the first person I've talked to about it that seems to understand where I was coming from in quitting. Like your music has been for me, that was really theraputic and put me in a better place with it mentally. So yeah, thanks, bro. Hope we can talk again sometime in the future!
#199028 by Guitarzan
Sat May 23, 2009 9:27 am
I noticed in one of the video interviews that Dev said of himself "I'm a good singer, I'm an OK screamer, yknow, I'm not a great screamer...etc"

I must disagree with Dev there. When I first heard Devour and Detox and the like, it was the first time I ever heard screaming in metal that I considered viable and worthy of the music. Before then I thought it was all just noise. Suddenly it made sense and sort of "opened the doors" to a lot of modern metal for me as far as understanding and finally embracing aggressive vocals. Especially those who could execute it the same melodic sensibility, which there aren't many.

And yeah you might say, that was the studio magic making you sound like Zeuss or Thor, but your live vocals are still just as intense and consistent, and continue to impress. That's me anyway.
#199327 by Wander
Mon May 25, 2009 2:04 pm
gendralman wrote:http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metal-hammer-podcast-is-live-7/

Devin part starts at 35:58, actual interview starts at 39:11.

I like this one because it allowed me to sneak the word "fucking" into Wikipedia.

Hah, the interview is actually damn awesome. You know, with taking the autobiographical aspect of his albums to light etc. Great stuff!

And Bring on Addicted!