The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#199676 by WizardJoe
Thu May 28, 2009 12:39 am
If I'm stressed, I probably won't put on any music (may be persuaded by something like Earth 2).

I guess the reason I go for heavy music is because it just takes me to a world outside of what we're supposed to be. I saw Ingested play London Underworld last year, who I don't even like that much - but it really struck a chord with me, when I noticed that the singer looked EXACTLY like my dad... only scruffy, long haired, and bellowing his lungs out in indecipherably guttural oinks... really made me think... this man is about the same age as my dad, looks the same, probably has some low-end job like my dad, yet this is what he chooses to do of an evening. Can I see my dad doing what this man is currently doing? Would such an image of a human being have even ever crossed his mind? Not a chance.

I felt oddly disconnected from the world, yet safe in the knowledge that there are always people who have the potential to surprise (or shock) other people.

I waffle, sorry. No sleep and I just watched the Shining (first time sober). All horror and no sleep makes Joe an on-edge boy...
#199677 by pastadude
Thu May 28, 2009 12:40 am
I think the theme for Deconstruction is quite an interesting one. I never really questioned why anyone likes heavy. I've been asked by music snobs "How do you listen to so much of the crap? It all sounds the same!" and I've just responded "I dunno, I just like it. You don't have to, but I like my music heavy."

And in one interview, Dev said that all fans want is more Strapping. I have to agree and disagree. I feel like Strapping, as a band, was really becoming something unique. Of course I'd love more Strapping, but I realized there will never be a City 2 a long time ago. I never expect Dev to revisit or repeat the intensity on one record to another in the same exact fashion. City was breaking point of utter frustration, HAARHT was angst, Alien was confusing and unresolved, Infinity was exploratory, Terria was contemplative, and all of the aforementioned records are very intense in their own respect.

I did however want more Strapping as a band. As far as the band goes, those 4 lads have made some great music; yes Dev is in control, but they all bring something unique to the table. Jed is a chug machine, Byron is this bellowing deep scary bass-o-matic, and Gene is fucking Gene Hoglan, nothing more need be said. I would love to see the band back together, I could care less what comes out, but the members also made it special to me.

As far as liking heavy music though, it's just different. Sometimes people grow bored with things that are run of the mill and turn to something alternative. Possibly I like metal and heavy music because I like the high intensity and excitment it brings that more common music does not bring to the table. Not saying it's superior, but it's definitely not what's played on top 40.
#199678 by yrosh
Thu May 28, 2009 12:42 am
The Dev wrote:is that healthy? Is it unhealthy?

Nietzsche said we love music like a mirror, in fact, he said we love us - ourself? - in music, like a pure celebration of us in a moment, with no real judgement on our situation, despite the moment is bad or good or complex. If we are sad, we take pleasure of ourself by listening sad music. In this way and if is right, i think it's not healthy or unhealthy, just "necessary"... Nietzsche said a lot of interesting things about music, his second passion with philosophy... :)

(Sorry for the bad english, i'm from a country where frogs love cheese...)
#199682 by Kaartinen
Thu May 28, 2009 2:05 am
Hmm... For me, personally, listening to heavy music is about the release. Example: feeling really depressed and frustrated -> put on Cult of Luna's The Beyond, and let a sextet of Swedes squeeze the bad feeling out of you like the last bits of a toothpaste from the tube. That's actually how I feel when listening to that stuff, like a huge force is pressing me against the ground, rendering me inmobile.

Feeling hyper, feeling anxious, feeling like ADHD? Put on Alien, and the toothpaste effect happens again.

Got beer, got sunshine, got a friday and no plans for saturday? Judas Priest & the music video for Hot Rockin'. That spells p-a-r-t-y to me :D Nothing is more hetero than Halford in a sauna.

Sorry for the rant. Did I just list all the most obvious things that everyone knows already anyway?
#199712 by Amber
Thu May 28, 2009 6:03 am
They heavy music debate is kinda interesting. To be honest, I don't listen to that much metal anymore. It tends to just fuck me off. I love vocals, and hearing screaming growlyness all the time pisses me off. I think thats why I like Strapping - There's a kinda strange balance with 'normal' vocals too.

I also don't identify with a lot of metal music. A lot of it, just seems like it's there because it is. I love music that provokes some sort of responce. And if all I'm responding is "Shut the fuck up, and learn to sing." Then funnyily enough, I don't feel any attatchment. Which is a shame, some metal bands do ave awesome, body moving riffs. But so often the vocalist spoils it for me.

I think that went away from the original point, but nevermind...
#199755 by Deathcom7000
Thu May 28, 2009 10:25 am
It's hard for me to say why I like heavy music because I dont like ALL heavy music. That must mean that the bands that are heavy that I do enjoy have something to contribute that other bands do not besides being heavy. What that is, I am not sure.
#199764 by NipponKogaku
Thu May 28, 2009 11:25 am
Interesting debate.

As many here, I don't really like to think I'm into heavy music. I'm into music, period. It just happens that at some points in my life heavy music resonates with me.

And I used the term resonates on purpose. I truly believe that at a basic level that we don't understand, there's more to music than what we hear. Music waves hit all parts of you and I think that effect is not really understood, but its there. The most extreme example is like when you are at a club or a concert and you just feel the bass in your chest. Maybe at an unconcious level we feel not only the low frequencies but all of them. Heavy, chaotic music in a way soothes me when I'm out of control so to speak. It brings the balance back. Albeit to a new, chaotic balance that just gives you this rush you feel in your body. You just feel every inch of your body vibrating to the compass of the chaos.
When I'm in harmony with myself, then heavy music is just not right, it feels as if it tries to get you out of that balance and go back to resonating in that chaotic manner. I dunno. Sounds like a good field to do some nice serious research on :D

One of the most interesting musical discussions I ever had was recently, with a friend that is heavily into hardcore electronic music. It was nice how none of us attacked the others music, but we both found points in common as to why we love music. Why do some of us relate to heavy and others not? good question.
#199767 by Amber
Thu May 28, 2009 12:04 pm
That bass in the chest feeling is so weird! I remember my first ever gig at 13, I managed to stand righ tnext to the bass speaker, and when it kicked I was like "Whoa!!" It was strange at the time. It's sort of enjoyable now though. :P

There was a study into music and its psychological effects a little while ago. It basically consisted of...

"People who listen to bands like The Smiths, aren't has happy as those that listen to bright, pop music. Pop music makes people feel happier."

Well, no kidding...
#199809 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 2:58 pm
I'm someone that could never live in total harmony with the world. I've grown to accept there is a part of me that is confrontational and conflicting. That doesn't mean I try to be a knob to anyone, but there's that inane need to seek out imbalance in my life. I have this "weird" thing where I actually like to argue with my current partner. I wont start an argument for absolutely no reason, but if I feel issues burning in me, I need that cathartic release. Perhaps that's messed up, to be honest, I don't really care. Perhaps its a form of validation.

Different music I listen to has its uses. If you have a headache, you're not going to listen to white noise at 120db. Just the same applies to music. You're also not going to party your ass off to Hummer are you? Music is only that of which its creators intentions define it. Metal is such a broad genre I don't think you can really pigeon-hole it.

I think anyone who truly turns their back on anything that they wholly embraced in one part of their life still finds themselves controlled by it in one way or another. Whether it be smoking cigarettes or a part of their personality that they aren't fond of. The only true freedom is moderation.
#199816 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 3:31 pm
Moderation isn't to me about "oh do a bit though". It ties in with discipline and self-respect.

Its difficult to translate the context over, but If you were a heroin user who had quit, and your life was restructured in a way that you would make sure that you have absolutely no contact (not physical, but discussing and confronting it), you would still be controlled. It would still be an issue in your life.

To me (and please respect its just my own personal flawed opinion, not fact or the voice of the masses), you would only be free from it if you could discuss and confront it without adverse stigma. You would be free from it because you choose, and you do so because it dignifies you.

Another example, would be arachnophobia. If you made every effort to detach yourself from that which you couldn't bare (spiders), you would still be a slave to the cause and effect. Some are only cured through exposure, and then find no issue as to whether its there or not.

I hope that reads clear, I'd be curious as to what you think.
#199817 by Amber
Thu May 28, 2009 3:37 pm
Nevaeh wrote:I think anyone who truly turns their back on anything that they wholly embraced in one part of their life still finds themselves controlled by it in one way or another. Whether it be smoking cigarettes or a part of their personality that they aren't fond of. The only true freedom is moderation.

I think that is ENITRELY based upon the person. My mum for example, was a rather extreme smoker. She quit 5 years ago, and hasn't has a second thought about it since.

I really think it depends upon the will power of the person. Some people I've met who do drugs, when they quit, all they can think about is doing drugs, in which case, yeah, they are kinda controlled by it. However, if they turn their back on it, and don't think of it again, there is no control. Perhaps there are after effects, (Just for example, they may have paranoia) But I do not think that is control by said drugs.

I deal with anxiety everday. I would certainly agree that controls me, as it effects my actions and thoughts. However, if I was to get rid of the anxiety, I wouldn't feel its effect anymore, and there for, wouldn't be a part of its control. Even though it was a main factor in my life. (I should learn to do this.)
#199826 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 4:02 pm
Agreed, everyone is individual, and I wholly believe that, even though there are cultural paradigms that enforce "clan" thinking - I honestly believe that. Semiotics (an absolutely wonderful and immersive topic that's far too huge for me to even put in a paragraph) dictate that all human nature is essentially cause and effect derived from pragmatics, syntactics and semantics.

What I would say though, moderation (perhaps a combination of control, discipline and self respect - in this situation at least - not the definition in the dictionary) does have its grounds.

From personal experience, at the age of around 13-16 I had a chronic and uncontrollable addiction to cannabis. It messed up a lot of my life, burned any kind of income I had, turned me into a paranoid, delusional joke of a person. For nearly a year after I fought with total abstinence from it, and soon realised, it had just as tight a hold in my life. I detached myself from some fantastic people just based upon the idea that they smoked the odd joint. It still had control over my life. It took a lot of work, screwing my brain up and quite frankly painful experiences in my life to finally let go of it. I still believe the mild form of Cylcothymia I now have is due to that cycle. Huge issues within my family and the end of a long-term relationship gave me the reason to change me. Now I can openly discuss anything about it and how it had a grasp of me. Same goes for the Cylco. In the odd occasion I can now have the odd joint and not feel attached to it or worried about falling into the same trap.

But essentially, that is me, and not anyone else. I hope this gives you an idea for where I'm coming from. Sorry for the life story :|
#199828 by Amber
Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 pm
whoops - Sorry if I came across as agressive totally wasn't my intention. I was just rather interested!

And in that case, yeah I can totally see where you are coming from. I relate to quite a lot of what you're saying actually. Which is strange, considering I've never touched drugs in my life. I believe I have some sort of malfuction inthe head somewhere. I've tested pretty high for a couple of disorders, but I'm not really sure what to do about it. I got too much other stuff to deal with to make a fuss of it anyway.

And yeah, being caught up in cycle like that can trigger things like cyclothymia, whether you are potetionally predisposed or not. And, as a random point, 1 in 4 who are bullied devlop mental or personality disorders...

Wow, this has strayed a little from the original thread.

I've been really enjoying all the interviews so far! :D
#199832 by Nevaeh
Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 pm
Yeah ive noticed whenever i seem to talk on here it goes from whatever it was to something really bizarre. Like fisting or semiotics. Not sure what to think myself..