The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#213363 by rjnix_0329
Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:15 pm
I find Synesthesia interesting as well, but I think it is sort of glorified. I never really knew that sounds were represented as colors until I started playing and writing music, and now I hear the colors, textures, shapes, and numbers of every song I hear or play. The other members of my band have "learned" this behavior too, and I think it has to do with the fact that our music works to conjour those colors and shapes, much like Dev does. I'm not saying I "have" synesthesia, but I do see consistent colors and shapes in tones, and it seems that it was something that was learned, not in-born. There are many ways to access new and exciting parts of the human mind, and not all of them have to do with the hard wiring we are born with.
#213379 by ffian1
Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:42 am
You know that synaesthesia is sensory crossover, yeah?

Well, does that mean that perhaps when you listen to tones or mixes etc and something feels warm, that it's the same sort of thing?
I've never seen colours or anything, and as a musician I always thought it would be quite interesting to see what its like, but I can feel warmth from tones and mixes.

Maybe it's the same thing, just my body interprets it differently. Meh, who knows?
#324866 by sesameseedbun
Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:30 pm
Resurrecting this thread because I'm currently studying synaesthesia too (and I am a synaesthete in my own right). I was listening to the Addicted production commentary and Dev said that "I have many orange memories from that period". This can't be a coincidence. Dev has to be a synaesthete. Which is probably one of the reasons how his music kicks so much ass! =) By the way, for those of you who also have synaesthesia, what are YOUR synaesthetic experiences when you listen to Dev's music? Casualties sounds green and yellow to me, Sumeria from Deconstruction is purple, In The Rainy Season is grey. I wonder if Mike St Jean is also a synaesthete, which could explain the colors he picks for the light shows for concerts!