The place to speak about Dev's current projects, and everything yet to come
#281340 by James S
Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm
Amakir wrote:
Derek wrote:
mrbean667 wrote:
ppinkham wrote:The original specs said that it had alder wings, but the site now lists mahogany. The site also doesn't list Sperzel tuners, just "custom designed locking machine heads."

So it seems there have been some changes since first announced. I wonder if these changes were per Dev, or Peavey?

I don't know of anyone who would want to have alder for their guitars...

Steve Vai would. :mrgreen:

Vai uses basswood actually.

Actually Vai's Seven strings are Basswood and like one 6 string is basswood. Most of the others are Alder.
#281502 by Edkaye
Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:50 pm
I would like to add to this that my ESP George Lynch Skull & Snakes is made of Alder, and sounds like a dream. Not to mention the fact that it's got a bolt-on maple neck!

The rest of my guitars are mahogany (or exotics) and either set-neck or neck-thru. The ESP sounds much better than most of them put together though!

I've had it about 15 years, and recently sent it to get refinished, so no more horrible skull & snakes graphic. Well, it's a much longer story than that involving an 18 years old me who tried to respray it himself after everyone at music school made fun of it. really smart thing to do to a $3000 guitar! I'm finally getting it professionally done. It's a costing a few hundred dollars, but the guitar is worth it.

Anyway, onto the Dev Sig. He said another 100 days? I'm fine with that. Especially considering that I am out of work right now, and in the last six month have bought 6 guitars and a bass. My wife is getting a bit angry!
#281562 by fps
Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 am
"Dear Kit.

This email is in regards to your recent order with Dolphin Music.

We have just received some devastating news from Peavey in regards to the Vicious PXD Devin Townsend guitar.

Due to a mistake on Peavey's side, ourselves (Dolphin Music), as well as some of our competitors, were advertising the guitar with a price of £619.

Unfortunately Peavey has now detected the mistake and has informed us that the correct retail price for this guitar is in fact £1279.

At this moment in time and due to the mistake and the fact that we are not able to supply the guitar, we have removed the guitar from our website.

We are able to cancel your order and refund any amount already paid immediately. If you wish to proceed with your order, please get in contact with myself or one of my colleagues and we can help.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but this situation is completely out of our control."

I don't know what to say. I have sold good gear in order to pay for this guitar, I've placed my order, and now I'm being told it's double the price.
#281574 by ppinkham
Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 pm
fps wrote:"Dear Kit.

This email is in regards to your recent order with Dolphin Music.

We have just received some devastating news from Peavey in regards to the Vicious PXD Devin Townsend guitar.

Due to a mistake on Peavey's side, ourselves (Dolphin Music), as well as some of our competitors, were advertising the guitar with a price of £619.

Unfortunately Peavey has now detected the mistake and has informed us that the correct retail price for this guitar is in fact £1279.

At this moment in time and due to the mistake and the fact that we are not able to supply the guitar, we have removed the guitar from our website.

We are able to cancel your order and refund any amount already paid immediately. If you wish to proceed with your order, please get in contact with myself or one of my colleagues and we can help.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, but this situation is completely out of our control."

I don't know what to say. I have sold good gear in order to pay for this guitar, I've placed my order, and now I'm being told it's double the price.

I figured something like this would happen, since people had started pre-ordering with absolutely no officially confirmed pricr from Peavey. I don't know why these places were taking pre-orders in the first place. The thing is, until the guitar is actually released, the price can still change, even with the updated price on their site.
#281808 by wyldweasil
Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 am
I've pre-ordered a guitar before, the price changed and the dealer worked with me on it, guess it depends on who your buying from. The big problem with that sale was the date kept shifting, delayed 2 months, 1 here, 1 there, when he sent me another delay notice I said fuck it and just switched. 3 weeks later the guitar I actually ordered arrived in stock.
#282036 by fps
Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am
I'm just... I passed on the only other 7 I've seen I might have wanted, the Gibson V one, and they're gone now forever cos they were limited run. I passed because I'd found a guitar I wanted, from a company I trusted, developed by an artist I support in his every endeavour. And now months on, which was fine, cos I knew I'd have to wait, I have to face this massive wave of disappointment and upset about one of the few things on the horizon I was honestly looking forward to. It's just not right, and I'm determined to get something out of this, anything that could put a smile on my face.

How can the thing makes you forget all the distractions and all the rubbish you have to go through, helps you escape from that, how can that then become just another cause of grief? This is the first guitar I'd have bought in 8 years, I don't often find an instrument that connects with me, in this case visually, spec-wise, already imagining the kind of music I want to make on it. And now I'm being told "hey you can have one but double the price minimum-wage boy". What can one say? It's really galling and gutting.
#282477 by ppinkham
Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:41 pm
BenPuritanSlain wrote:In all fairness I would much rather they released that Tele he's got...that is one fine looking instrument!!!

I'm sure if Devin had his way, they would. Instead, what most likely happened is they went "Hey, we want to put your name on one of our metal guitars. You can pick from one of these models here. Tell us what you want done to it."

If the guitar is successful in any way, then we may see the tele hit the stores, as well. The way Peavey is handling the V, I can't imagine it being a sales "success." Then again, you can't predict these things. If the guitar is amazing, then word of mouth may make up for the damage Peavey has already done in their poor marketing of the guitar.
#282504 by wyldweasil
Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 pm
fps wrote:I'm just... I passed on the only other 7 I've seen I might have wanted, the Gibson V one, and they're gone now forever cos they were limited run. I passed because I'd found a guitar I wanted, from a company I trusted, developed by an artist I support in his every endeavour. And now months on, which was fine, cos I knew I'd have to wait, I have to face this massive wave of disappointment and upset about one of the few things on the horizon I was honestly looking forward to. It's just not right, and I'm determined to get something out of this, anything that could put a smile on my face.

How can the thing makes you forget all the distractions and all the rubbish you have to go through, helps you escape from that, how can that then become just another cause of grief? This is the first guitar I'd have bought in 8 years, I don't often find an instrument that connects with me, in this case visually, spec-wise, already imagining the kind of music I want to make on it. And now I'm being told "hey you can have one but double the price minimum-wage boy". What can one say? It's really galling and gutting.

You mean this one that is listed as In stock right now on Musician's friend?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-flying-v-7-string-electric-guitar/h71172000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=857666262

Relax, you'll get the guitar eventually, it's just going to take a while longer. And when it does come out you'll be happy
#282746 by fps
Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:19 pm
Hi wyldweasil,
That's the problem, it looks like I won't be. I paid in full at the asking price with the website, and got an order number and confirmation, and now they're saying they made a mistake, the guitar is double the price, and they're not going to stock it. I'm saying I've already paid for it and expect them to honour the deal, I'm going to have to go to consumer advice and call them and hopefully they'll tell me what I already feel- that they should honour the price I've paid because legally we've already done the deal.
#283058 by wyldweasil
Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:36 am
fps wrote:Hi wyldweasil,
That's the problem, it looks like I won't be. I paid in full at the asking price with the website, and got an order number and confirmation, and now they're saying they made a mistake, the guitar is double the price, and they're not going to stock it. I'm saying I've already paid for it and expect them to honour the deal, I'm going to have to go to consumer advice and call them and hopefully they'll tell me what I already feel- that they should honour the price I've paid because legally we've already done the deal.

that's the problem with the nature of pre-orders, things are always subject to change. I think the efforts to bring forth this guitar with announcements were a little too far in advance. If anything it should have been introduced at Namm 2012, which in all fairness, the public and dealers would've been fully informed. When it was originally announced he was trying to keep the price around $1000, I knew it wasn't possible considering current trends in signature guitars, being the Fender Jim Root strat is priced at $1499, and the telecaster signature model jumped from it's introductory price of $899 to $1200 before it got discontinued in favor of the new model