All hail Ziltoid!

#162943 by Josiah Tobin
Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:35 pm
NoisyPinkBubble wrote:A studio drummer couldn't have brought such a precise atmosphere to the album as the DFH did. If it was never mentioned that they were programmed, we'd all be sitting here wondering who Townsend got to perform drums on the album, just as many people think Haake performed the drums on Catch Thirtythree.

I don't think so, no... While it sounds mighty good, it's still obvious that they're programmed. Plus, parts like the insane kick bursts in Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! would have immediately given it away.

#162944 by Nathan_lol
Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:39 pm
I like how the Drumkit From Hell thing helps the novelty of "Devin did everything on this record."

EDIT: Post 69, lol

#162946 by NoisyPinkBubble
Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:52 pm
Josiah Tobin wrote:
NoisyPinkBubble wrote:A studio drummer couldn't have brought such a precise atmosphere to the album as the DFH did. If it was never mentioned that they were programmed, we'd all be sitting here wondering who Townsend got to perform drums on the album, just as many people think Haake performed the drums on Catch Thirtythree.

I don't think so, no... While it sounds mighty good, it's still obvious that they're programmed. Plus, parts like the insane kick bursts in Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! would have immediately given it away.

It's not impossible to play that fast. Listen to Nile.

#162952 by Retribution
Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:00 pm
Indeed. I've heard Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel do such basdrum parts too. As well as Proscriptor from the band Absu. Amazing, very technical drummer with several of those bursts on their latest cd for example.

It's strange though, even if the program closely mimics reality, there's still something that gives away that it's programmed. When my girlfriend heard the Ziltoid cd she immediately felt that something was different with the drums even though she doesn't play music herself. So she wasn't surprised when I told her that they were programmed. This in contrast then to those other similar bursts performed by people.

Nevertheless, not that it really bothers me or anything. It's very well done actually. I just prefer real drums (when possible of course).
#163674 by mukler
Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:47 pm
02 - While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters. Obviously the quality of the board depends on the quality of the members who post. That's right, YOU. Like most things in life, the more you put into it the more you'll get out of it.

Another useless mukler post. Banned. - Admin

#163848 by Eyesore
Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:19 pm
You can barely tell it's a drum machine. And even then it's only noticeable every once in a while; and that's just if you've got the ears to hear it. Most people don't know how to pick it out.

#163915 by Das Schuetzenfest
Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:07 pm
NoisyPinkBubble wrote:It's not impossible to play that fast. Listen to Nile.

Right. Masters of a foot technique called "swivel" like George Kollias could pull this off I guess, most likely not as tight as that program, but pretty tight.

The footwork of most current death/black metal drummers, using triggers, sounds pretty synthetic anyway. That's one of the reasons why I still respect the f... out of Dave Lombardo, he's playing not as technical or fast bassdrum patterns as younger high end metal drummers, but he's still amazing and unique in his own right - without using triggers.

#163962 by Mr Clean
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:01 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:
NoisyPinkBubble wrote:It's not impossible to play that fast. Listen to Nile.

Right. Masters of a foot technique called "swivel" like George Kollias could pull this off I guess, most likely not as tight as that program, but pretty tight.

The footwork of most current death/black metal drummers, using triggers, sounds pretty synthetic anyway. That's one of the reasons why I still respect the f... out of Dave Lombardo, he's playing not as technical or fast bassdrum patterns as younger high end metal drummers, but he's still amazing and unique in his own right - without using triggers.

I think that's exactly what killed Pete Sandoval and Raymond Herrera for me... triggering... :?

#166019 by DonorByHabit
Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:24 am
It's kinda obvious that the drums are programmed, but maybe we're making big deal out of it, since we've been told.

Did you know that Type O Negative makes use of programmed drums on: October Rust, World Coming Down and Life Is Killing Me?

Actually, that surprised me a lot when I found out. Especially the drums on October Rust sounds very organic and has a human feel to them, but still...after I found out, I DO think they sound programmed. Funny, eh?

#166075 by djskrimp
Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:54 pm
DonorByHabit wrote:It's kinda obvious that the drums are programmed, but maybe we're making big deal out of it, since we've been told.

Did you know that Type O Negative makes use of programmed drums on: October Rust, World Coming Down and Life Is Killing Me?

Actually, that surprised me a lot when I found out. Especially the drums on October Rust sounds very organic and has a human feel to them, but still...after I found out, I DO think they sound programmed. Funny, eh?

Why do people praise drummers that sound like metronomes, and yet blast artists that use drum programming? I love a good organic groove like the next guy, but I also thought that Dev's programming of the drums fit very well in Ziltoid....it gave the songs the skeletal structure they needed.
#166660 by Marijn
Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 am
I like the drums: they perfectly suit the album because of the 'spacy' sound of it. And: by using the drums Devin can say he's made the album completely on his own! And that surely is something to be proud of. But of course, Gene Hoglan is still great!
#168032 by Deathcom7000
Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:42 pm
I think for the most part, the DFH was perfect and fit the vibe of the whole album. I did grow up on techno though, so I've always enjoyed programmed drums. But that aside, I still think it fit. I do think that Hyperdrive and The Greys would have been better with actual drums, but they're still amazing songs and the programmed drums dont get in the way of that. Come to think of it, I think ZTO might be the only Dev album where I think EVERY track is amazing. I do love all the albums, but theres always at least one song I skip. Not on this baby :)
#173341 by Van Pole
Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:38 am
For me it's nothing bad and annoying with that programmed drums.

Dev could appoint Raymond Herrera from Fear Factory and it would sound almost the same... :wink:

Seriously, some drum parts sounds really cool, like for example - ending in "Solar Winds".