All hail Ziltoid!

#151569 by Spectacular
Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:03 pm
gozu wrote:i have to say, i don't like that it (may) just be a daydream. if you look at it all as just a story rather than the whole introspective thing i thinks its an annoying ending , just like the ending of Ayreons the human equation... other that that though i love this album really really love it.... city>terria>ZTO>the rest

I disagree about the ending, without Tall Latte it would've still been complete, and a great and deep ending at that, but Tall Latte to me ads the sense of someone figuring this whole thing out for themselves (maybe I'm lucky it doesn't take away form the absurdness of the story I guess, which I can see as being a problem for someone else), remember that the reality behind many great fictional stories is the same thing as this album, someone daydreaming about a concept and getting lost in their own story.

Just my take on the whole thing.

Edit to clarify just a little bit, so often people view these types of endings as easy copouts, but that's not the case with Ziltoid at all, the story was complete already when this was revealed so it can only add the way I look at it.

#151591 by IronMaiden736
Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:49 am
By the way, I think this whole cd is a metaphor to how Devin is feeling. About how he wants to just tune out. It really shows once you read along. I'll post parts that show it probably tomorrow.

#151596 by Dr.Mosh
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:57 am
My take on Tall Latte is that it's a bit (a lot of?) of Devin in there, always having music in his head and possibly not being able to properly concentrate on other things because there is just so much music going on in his head.
maybe a trip back to his old days working in a restaurant

#151628 by Das Schuetzenfest
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 pm
Dr.Mosh wrote:maybe a trip back to his old days working in a restaurant

In The Rainy Season (intro) revisited.

#151629 by fragility
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:21 pm
What's with the captain/commander interchanging?

#151644 by djskrimp
Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:29 pm
fragility wrote:What's with the captain/commander interchanging?

No change. Captain is a rank, commander is a position, Fragile. In the military, a Captain CAN be a commander.

Err..shoulda been Fragile One. Bah, stupid fingers.
Last edited by djskrimp on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

#151647 by kyl88
Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:48 pm
djskrimp wrote:
fragility wrote:What's with the captain/commander interchanging?

No change. Captain is a rank, commander is a position, Fragile. In the military, a Captain CAN be a commander.

Oh, okay. I was wondering that myself :)

#151672 by Dr.Mosh
Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:42 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:

Exactly, but not quite as angry :)

#151771 by Cygnus
Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 pm
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what i thought of.

#151773 by Cygnus
Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:44 pm
day old male wrote:I just want to throw in my 2 cents about the album. I got it 2 days ago (Melbourne) and I've been far beyond impressed with it. It is a brilliant synthesis of everything Dev has done and tried to do over the last 10 years, and it is done effortlessly. I almost feel that if Dev were to throw in the towel on making music right now, Ziltoid would be the perfect swansong to his career. It is simply phenomenal. On the issue of the storyline, for me it's very obvious that it's about being an ordinary nobody who longs to be more significant and more powerful. This idea takes place within the context of a guy who's working in a coffee shop who begins to daydream about power. This, and the aroma of coffee around him, obviously merge in his head to create the idea of a being of incredible power (even omniscient) who is on a quest for coffee. The whole storyline of the album probably takes place in his head over the space of a few minutes before he is abruptly interrupted by the boss and made to go back to work. Could it also be about Devin's memories of being a kitchen hand and working in a similar environment with similar longings for power and significance. Jesus, don't we all?
Brilliant work Dev.

That's an awesome way to look at it.

-Warning, radical critisism ahead-

I would have to disagree with the whole swansong theory. This album is really amazing, and what makes it better is how unique it is compared to all of his other solo albums. In my opinion that can be a bad thing as well. I was hoping that the traditional devin style would be perserved on this album like it was on Synchestra, but this album is so outside the box that it seems to bear no reseblence to anything devin has ever done before.

In fact, This album may have been more believable as a SYL album since it has much more of a heavier edge than any other album devin ever did (except physist, but that topic's for another day when i have about 3 hours to kill). Which is wierd because i heard somewhere about SYL breaking up because devin didn't want to be part of that band anymore, meinwhile, this new album sounds just like SYL.

I guess to conclude, i'm not saying that the album is bad, it's just not what I'm used to hearing as far as devin's repertiore goes. I just hope this doesnt mark a permanant change in his style.

#151778 by Deathcom7000
Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:26 pm
I'm gonna have to disagree with you about it not sounding like Devin's other work. To me, it sounds like everything.

#151782 by Noodles
Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:21 pm
I think it sounds like another one of his solo albums lol... it has some similarities in the overall sound but doesn't sound exactly like any of his previous albums. Its definitely not consistently heavy enough to be a SYL album though.

#151826 by Goat
Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:50 am
"Long time no see ... although, I see everything." :lol:

"Tell me, what is the true nature of my reality?"
"You gotta chill, man," *bambambambambambambam* :D

Makes my day everytime. Like "The beat starts here AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!" from Home Nucleonics. Superb record.

#151860 by Liquid
Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:53 pm
I honestly have thought about it a lot, and I'm certain my favorite part of the whole album is that ridiculous bass drop on Planet Smasher when Herman comes in and says "cherish the mind." It gets me every time. Freaking awesome. Well, the whole album rocks, but that part is one I keep tracking back to. :)