All hail Ziltoid!
#175976 by Centurion
Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:26 am
Have no problem with the drums in it self. Ok, it is midi an all that but I`m used to that from other styles of music. What I find a bit irritating about the album is that i often feel like the drums and the rest of the music are kind of two separate soundscapes. Like standing in a room with the drums and the rest of the "band" in is the next room or something like that.

No..dont get me wrong I love this album, and I never seem to get tired of it.

Re:

#175977 by Centurion
Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:36 am
DonorByHabit wrote:It's kinda obvious that the drums are programmed, but maybe we're making big deal out of it, since we've been told.

Did you know that Type O Negative makes use of programmed drums on: October Rust, World Coming Down and Life Is Killing Me?

Actually, that surprised me a lot when I found out. Especially the drums on October Rust sounds very organic and has a human feel to them, but still...after I found out, I DO think they sound programmed. Funny, eh?

Well, I did not know. But I understand why. From my own experience some things tend to sound more real when programmed than other things. When it comes to drums, slower music often work fine with Mr.Midi behind the set . Faster drumming like blastbeats and typical extreme metal stuff does not, at least not without a lot of work.
#178278 by asuss06
Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:21 pm
i totally missed not hearing Gene on this, but the drumkit served its total purpose on this album and i think it rocked. listening to that blistering drumkit pumps me up every time!!!
#178290 by Mazaro
Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:25 am
I feel anyone who knew about production or programming drum tracks would agree that these are sloppily and simplistically done. That probably sounds snobby, but I feel they lack some very significant things that distinguish real drums... dynamics, for one. They have a very inexpressive, constant volume. They also have no human groove or feeling. On "Catch 33", the Drumkit From Hell was used with dynamics, and I think that album sounds a lot better.

That said, it doesn't ruin the album for me.