All hail Ziltoid!

#147831 by Biert
Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:37 pm
Drumkit From Hell

#147832 by batmura
Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:39 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but what's that supposed to mean?

So they're programmed?

#147835 by Noodles
Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:44 pm
batmura wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what's that supposed to mean?

So they're programmed?

Yeah, Drumkit from Hell is drum samples made by Tomas Haake (of Meshuggah)

#147841 by toad
Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:12 pm
Noodles wrote:

So they're programmed?

Yep. Takes a couple of seconds to google up... :wink:

#147854 by Eyesore
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:13 pm
toad wrote:
Noodles wrote:

So they're programmed?

The smiley doesn't discount your unwarranted sarcasm.

#147858 by Zyprexa
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:18 pm
The Synchestra drumming was done in the Dev studio but it had its own isolated mics and stuff, it was on the DVD. How come zit this is different?

#147862 by Leechmaster
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:25 pm
Dev just wanted to literally do everything himself on the album. He can't play drums (as he displayed so well on said Synchestra DVD :D), so the next best thing is learning how to program a drum machine. That's why that's used on this one.

#147865 by Eyesore
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:31 pm
And the drum machine sounds awesome!

#147866 by Zyprexa
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:32 pm
Unreal. God our hero really is deserving of the worship we bestow upon him.

#147874 by toad
Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:59 pm
Eyesore wrote:
toad wrote:
Noodles wrote:

So they're programmed?

It was directed at batmura.. I've been hanging at another forum a lot lately, one that has, out of necessity, much stricter policy about posting questions about something that you might as well look up in seconds. Admittedly sometimes on the expense of a nice chat. I knew the vanity of my comment the moment I posted it, though. Well, live and learn. The drums really do sound good.

#147878 by Archetype
Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:16 pm
I was wondering why he chose to use DFH. I thought maybe he didn't have any money for renting a studio again and record drums, or maybe Gene or Ryan were too busy.
Anyway, I don't really agree that the drums sound genius. All velocities are at maximum, which made me notice that it were programmed drums from the first note.
If you listen to Catch 33 or I from Meshuggah, it's the same sampler used (DFHSuperior), but much more intelligent programming.
Still, I know how much f*cking time it takes to program drums, let alone an entire record. And since this is the first time Dev uses a sequencer, hats off to him. (EDIT: This is NOT the first time he uses sequenced drums, sorry, I forgot about SYL's Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing)

btw, Drumkit From Hell has a lot more samples from more drummers, not only Thomas Haake. I believe it were 5 or 6 drummers who recorded samples for the program. It's an awesome sequencer and it's quite cheap for such a huge program (9 dvd's!).
Last edited by Archetype on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#147882 by JayjayAbnormal
Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:36 pm
toad wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
toad wrote:
Noodles wrote:

So they're programmed?

It was directed at batmura.. I've been hanging at another forum a lot lately, one that has, out of necessity, much stricter policy about posting questions about something that you might as well look up in seconds. Admittedly sometimes on the expense of a nice chat. I knew the vanity of my comment the moment I posted it, though. Well, live and learn. The drums really do sound good.

The sarcasm wasn't that bad, but still. No one cares that "another forum" has strict policy's on questions. I know a lot of people who haven't thought of Googling a lot of things, probably because they don't spend as much time on the PC as the rest of us

#147885 by gurp13
Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:08 pm
I'd be interested to know more about how the DFH works. Archetype, you know how to use it? How does one go about programming it?

I agree, on one hand, that it sounds unnatural at times because it's so fast. But, I think it sounds cool. I'm under the impression that the reason Dev used DFH was because he was working at home during the hiatus. Also, I'm under the impression that the initial puppet show idea needed a theme song that ballooned into an album. So, I don't think he, at first, planned to do an album.

Or, I could just fuck off.

#147886 by Archetype
Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:19 pm
http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6578
There's a post over there about the Drumkit From Hell.

If I would explain how to use the program in this post, I'd still be typing by tomorrow.
I was f*cking around with the program for many months, and one day I just decided to buy it, for the manual. I'm on a Mac myself, using Logic Professional for recording audio, which means NO VST'S :(, but fortunately the folks over at the DFH company were nice enough to direct me to a program to convert VST's to AU(Audio Units).
The package comes with a nice sampler on the first DVD, which you can use as a standalone player/editor. If you use recording software, which supports VST plugins, it's just a matter of copying the VST plugins to your VST plugins folder of whatever program you use (CuBase, Nuendo, Pro Tools, etc). You need a SHITload of RAM to use the DFH sampler, don't forget that. I'd also recommend copying EVERY last sample to your hard-drive or a portable (fast!) hard-drive. There is also a program included on the first DVD, which will do this for you.
You can also load the drumsamples into different drumsequencers (Battery, Ultrabeat, Garageband even), but this takes ages... It's 9 DVD's full of samples.