All hail Ziltoid!

#148219 by Das Schuetzenfest
Thu May 03, 2007 5:26 pm
"Nothing" is my least favourite Meshuggah album. Try "Destroy Erase Improve", "Chaosphere", "I" or the "None" EP. DEI was totally ahead of its time, the way Cynic's "Focus" album was.

#148228 by Goat
Thu May 03, 2007 6:51 pm
:shock: Nothing pwns like nothing else! Opening Stengah riff just rips and when the drums enter it's goodbye! Rational Gaze destroys and erases and there's absolutely nothing to improve. Meshuggah from Chaosphere on is The Shit. Plus Futile Bread Machine (Campfire Version) :lol:

#148261 by Persuader
Fri May 04, 2007 12:40 am
Well this thread went Meshuggah pretty fast. :wink:

While on the subject.. I like everything they've done, but Catch 33 bores me somewhat.
The drum programming is, however, awesome.

#148273 by Lolliklauer
Fri May 04, 2007 1:56 am
I like the Ziltoid-drums, they are very well programmed, i think. But also i think that they sound very Gene-ish, so the real Gene maybe could have added some extra-value to them if he had played. But of course i do understand the reasons why Gene (or Ryan) is not playing, so i don´t complain.

##(little) SPOILER FOR ZILTOIDIA ATTAXX FOLLOWS##

I didn´t like the overdone, "überfast" parts on "Ziltoidia Attaxx" at first, but after a few listens i think they fit well to the concept of the song. But it wouldn´t suprise me if someone don´t like it.

#148294 by Das Schuetzenfest
Fri May 04, 2007 3:37 am
Lolliklauer wrote:I didn´t like the overdone, "überfast" parts on "Ziltoidia Attaxx" at first, but after a few listens i think they fit well to the concept of the song. But it wouldn´t suprise me if someone don´t like it.

I think they are hilariously ridiculous! Ridiculously hilarious!

#148297 by danceswithchickens
Fri May 04, 2007 4:42 am
If you're going to program all the drums on an album, why even bother trying to make them sound "authentic"? Why not exploit the fact that machines can play faster than humans? Industrial bands can get away with it, so why not metal? Especially futuristic Infintity metal like Ziltoid.

Besides, with computer programs today most "real" drums are so heavily edited and perfected that the line between "real" and "programmed" hardly exists anymore...

#148301 by Lolliklauer
Fri May 04, 2007 6:18 am
I´m just a kind of nerd who gets a boner listening to instrumental virtuosos... that´s why i´m interested in knowing what part is played or sung for "real" and what´s electronically "altered" (of course quite everything is "altered" in some way today but you know what i mean) or generated.

But, as i said, i don´t want to complain, Dev has done a very good job on the drums. After all, what counts is the music and the programmed drums do their part very well, i think.

#148310 by Persuader
Fri May 04, 2007 8:49 am
Aaaarghhh, I don't wanna know about it...I stay away from every thread, even the Ziltoid Myspace cause I wanna wait for the album to arrive. Am I being childish? :)

#148311 by Biert
Fri May 04, 2007 8:59 am
Persuader wrote:Aaaarghhh, I don't wanna know about it...I stay away from every thread, even the Ziltoid Myspace cause I wanna wait for the album to arrive. Am I being childish? :)

I do the same thing. So yes, probably :D

#148314 by Torniojaws
Fri May 04, 2007 9:10 am
Slight OT for a bit more:

"I" was composed with DFH, but it was recorded by Tomas Haake in a studio with a real drumkit for the actual release.

#148316 by danceswithchickens
Fri May 04, 2007 9:13 am
Lolliklauer wrote:I´m just a kind of nerd who gets a boner listening to instrumental virtuosos... that´s why i´m interested in knowing what part is played or sung for "real" and what´s electronically "altered" (of course quite everything is "altered" in some way today but you know what i mean) or generated.

But, as i said, i don´t want to complain, Dev has done a very good job on the drums. After all, what counts is the music and the programmed drums do their part very well, i think.

I'm the same way; I like to know what is real and what is programmed. But if an artist says up-front that he will be programming all of the drums, so be it.

#148333 by Noodles
Fri May 04, 2007 10:05 am
I don't really care about how the musician gets the end result as long as it sounds good. I just prefer the sound of a "human" drummer alongside pretty much any rock/metal music (although drum triggers make it hard to tell the difference in a lot of modern metal :roll: )

#148345 by Das Schuetzenfest
Fri May 04, 2007 11:26 am
Noodles wrote:I don't really care about how the musician gets the end result as long as it sounds good. I just prefer the sound of a "human" drummer alongside pretty much any rock/metal music (although drum triggers make it hard to tell the difference in a lot of modern metal :roll: )

I prefer drummers as well, but Devin, Sisters Of Mercy and Gary Moore (Wild Frontier) get away with using drum machines.

And although I like the fact that a pretty fast player like Dave Lombardo does not use triggers (that's what Waldemar Sorychta told me on Grip Inc.'s Nemesis tour), I have no problem with Hoglan, Barker, Kollias & Co. using them, since triggers don't make a player faster or more accurate. They are just a technical device almost comparable to a microphone.

#148348 by Biert
Fri May 04, 2007 11:36 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:And although I like the fact that a pretty fast player like Dave Lombardo does not use triggers (that's what Waldemar Sorychta told me on Grip Inc.'s Nemesis tour), I have no problem with Hoglan, Barker, Kollias & Co. using them, since triggers don't make a player faster or more accurate. They are just a technical device almost comparable to a microphone.

Partly true. Triggers also respond if the drum is just barely hit, which allows the drummer to go faster without sounding any less powerfull.

There's also a difference in drum kit though. Devin asked RVP to use triggers on his old kit, but when he got the new Pearl Reference kit, he didn't need them anymore because it sounds a lot more punchy.