All hail Ziltoid!
#185047 by ScottMcTony
Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:27 pm
The song is fairly green for me. Color Your World opens blue and then goes read and has a grey finish. Oh and I worded my last post so very poorly, I didn't even mention Color Your World, but the Puppet thing is the allusion to the ending that I meant.
#203490 by reson
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:14 pm
"And the greys flood our memories" - i took this more literally, that our memories become less vivid as we get older. Sort of analogous to how hair gradually turns grey, our memories gradually lose their sharpness and color over time. That was what this song meant to me. But then again, maybe it was about aliens.
#203672 by Van Pole
Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am
Greys are the alien race doing experiments on humans from a very, very long time. Their telepathic abilities can read, flood and modify our thoughts and memories.

Ziltoid and his Reptilian representation of Devin is seen very clearly. Reptilians are the race of invaders, eating human flesh... Ziltoidians prefering coffee. Some sources claiming that Greys are slaves of Reptilians.

Devin has a tattoo of what we can call a Grey alien if I am not mistaken and he is aware that we are not alone in space.

Okay, is there anybody who can understand that bullshit ?
#204298 by BrunoN
Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:36 am
Van Pole wrote:Greys are the alien race doing experiments on humans from a very, very long time. Their telepathic abilities can read, flood and modify our thoughts and memories.

Sectoids!. Grenade them in the face before it's too late. Their psi attacks are pain in the ass indeed.

/off to play UFO
#204501 by Van Pole
Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 am
Heh, remember that one.

UFO games kicked asses right from the oldest, dos version. Loved every minute of playing it.
#206675 by lnetzel
Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:41 am
You guys have some far out thoughts on this... I've never thought so much about it. I just figured it's somethig about giving into reality coming from your own world or something.

Could be Ziltoid realizing he's not that omniscient, the Slacker waking up from his daydream or Devin's own ending to the whole adventure of creating that story... for me it doesn't really matter, It's beautiful anyway!
#206889 by Reion
Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm
I always thought of "The Greys" as people, boring people, the people that "stay away from the unknown".
I guess it came from the previous track being named "Color your world", as if it meant "Do something about your life and seize every chance and opportunity life gives you"

Or you'll end up like "The Greys", those who work 9 to 5, drive a SUV, come home to their 2.1 roughly symmetrical kids to enjoy the fruits of eating bland food and watching television till they fall asleep. Rinse and repeat.

Thats what it means to me at least, i don't think i could ever change that view, it's what insantly popped into my mind listening to the songs, listening to the lyrics. The Idea of The Greys to be just about space aliens is.. Alien to me :P

Maybe i'm just weird :D
#208099 by reson
Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 am
As an aside, what is a "spoiler" in relation to music? A movie spoiler is giving away the plot, but is that the same for music? Is giving away the Ziltoid "plot" a spoiler? And even if it was, how many people would come to the Ziltoid board on the Devin Townsed forum without knowing what the whole thing was about and probably owning the record anyway, i.e. how many potential visitors could be "spoiled" anyway? The answer probably approaches 0.
#208104 by BlueRaja
Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:06 pm
reson wrote:As an aside, what is a "spoiler" in relation to music? A movie spoiler is giving away the plot, but is that the same for music? Is giving away the Ziltoid "plot" a spoiler? And even if it was, how many people would come to the Ziltoid board on the Devin Townsed forum without knowing what the whole thing was about and probably owning the record anyway, i.e. how many potential visitors could be "spoiled" anyway? The answer probably approaches 0.

This thread was created back on Jun 13, 2007, right around the release date of the album. *Spoilers* would keep those away who didn't want to read any details about the album before they'd had a chance to listen to it.

It's just a courtesy.
#209009 by Dara-In-Chains
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 am
Incredible song, its one of my personal favourite tracks and probably my favourite on the album, another stroke of Devy genius
As for theories on its meaning you all seem to have covered the bases.

Although in the spirit of music and lyrics being open for interpretation I'd like to think of it as a love song. Maybe a love gone wrong.
But then again in the right mindframe you could get just about any meaning from this song or any other song.

Still most importantly love this song!

Re:

#220253 by chris the sound tek
Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:03 pm
Yanko wrote:
John wrote:My spontaneous interpretation of "The Greys" is that it's referring to brain cells, i.e. how the coffee guy made this whole thing up in his mind while snoozing from work. A song about how we need to day-dream and create fantasies just to get by in our boring day-to-day life.

But I guess the alien theory is closer to the truth. :)

Anyway, great song!

that's actually a great interpretation to it! 2 thumbs up and a cup of coffee to you, sir! :D

i agree brilliant idea! the greys could mean the brain matter of someone, next time i daydream
im gonna blame it on the greys "its the greys again i know" haha brilliant!

can i take your stinking order?

chris the sound tek
#223006 by Biert
Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:01 am
hairbearbunch wrote:Are there any Ziltoid coffee cups in Merchandise? That would be cool.

There used to be mugs in HDR's CafePress shop but not anymore I think.
#223405 by hairbearbunch
Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:49 am
Ziltoid coffe cups = good merch, I want one.

So at age 8 was when Dev saw 'The Dark Crystal'. Best thing I like about that movie, (aside from I collect crystals), is how SOUND saved the day. 'Sound' hmmmmmmmmmm................ Sound can save the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://qimagen.spaces.live.com/default. ... =690571850

http://forums.abrahadabra.com/showthrea ... 08&page=28

ReturnToZero was a good one this week, thanks Scott.