All hail Ziltoid!
#152385 by cluna_33
Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:50 am
So what do you gents and babes think of the last musical track off ZTO? I think it is a beautifully written song and one of Dev's best examples of pop-metal.

I interpret it as a reminder to keep within one's own limitations, and not reach out for too much knowledge or power.

"stay away from the unknown"

but what exactly is/are "the greys"?

any ideas? :sad:

#152387 by Gojira
Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 am
Aren't The Greys a species of alien? I'm not sure if it's used in the alien context, so aside from that, I've no idea.

#152389 by Lolliklauer
Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:19 am
Gojira wrote:Aren't The Greys a species of alien? I'm not sure if it's used in the alien context, so aside from that, I've no idea.

Yes, it´s the most popular species, "Roswell"-style (if you know Stargate: the "Asgard"-type). They are called "The Greys" in some conspiracy-theory-books. Some of those books say that those are the "bad" or "evil" aliens. (For those guys the "good" aliens are those who are looking like arian angels or something... :? ).

EDIT: That was just a book i read, i´m sure there are different "theories" out there which argue the contrary or something.

#152394 by Soul Intruder
Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:43 am
Love this song!

As for the meaning - I always considered it to be a play on 'The Blues', i.e: its a song about how depressed Zillty is over finding out his true nature (wont spoil it for anyone who hasn't listened to this fantastic record yet :P).

And as Lolliklauer said; 'The Greys' are a kind of alien...so are the 'greys' the Ziltoidian answer to the 'blues'?

Just my $0.02

#152426 by Yanko
Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:10 pm
This song is the most beautiful one in the album. "Ready or not here i come" gives me the chills everytime :D

Anyway

What i figured out (story-wise) is this: the universe, and everything in the 7th dimension and below (at least) are actually a big "puppet" reality made by the Greys, some superior alien race with some reason for doing all that. There are actually tons of real theories similar to that, like the ones that say that we (the humans, and the planet and everything) are only a big simulation made by some "bigger" form of existence.

And obviously there's the metaphor in the lyrics, which is pretty much free for everyone to interpret.

Fact is, this song's awesome
and i'm waiting to listen to it lossless, since my ZTO just arrived, finally! YAY :D

#152428 by John
Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:21 pm
My spontaneous interpretation of "The Greys" is that it's referring to brain cells, i.e. how the coffee guy made this whole thing up in his mind while snoozing from work. A song about how we need to day-dream and create fantasies just to get by in our boring day-to-day life.

But I guess the alien theory is closer to the truth. :)

Anyway, great song!

#152431 by Yanko
Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:47 pm
John wrote:My spontaneous interpretation of "The Greys" is that it's referring to brain cells, i.e. how the coffee guy made this whole thing up in his mind while snoozing from work. A song about how we need to day-dream and create fantasies just to get by in our boring day-to-day life.

But I guess the alien theory is closer to the truth. :)

Anyway, great song!

that's actually a great interpretation to it! 2 thumbs up and a cup of coffee to you, sir! :D

#152436 by djskrimp
Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:28 pm
So, it works on THREE levels:

Alien blues
Alien people (though Ziltoid ain't grey)
Brain cells.

Dev is like an onion..no matter how many levels your peel back, there are more. Oh, and sometimes they bring a tear to your eye. That, too.

#152440 by Deathcom7000
Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:19 pm
I kinda thought of it as seeing the world a whole lot plainer. Like in "color your world", Ziltoid sees himself as this large and in charge leader. But when he finds out he's only a puppet, everything is gray and medium, and dull.

#152447 by Noodles
Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:02 pm
Deathcom7000 wrote:I kinda thought of it as seeing the world a whole lot plainer. Like in "color your world", Ziltoid sees himself as this large and in charge leader. But when he finds out he's only a puppet, everything is gray and medium, and dull.

I like that one :|

#152450 by kettle
Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:17 pm
Noodles wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:I kinda thought of it as seeing the world a whole lot plainer. Like in "color your world", Ziltoid sees himself as this large and in charge leader. But when he finds out he's only a puppet, everything is gray and medium, and dull.

I like that one :|

...and perhaps that's the source for why so many people look to the other grey as a leap of faith... ...that there is something less ordinary about us, on this planet, doing our run of the mill living and dying.

sometimes you'd rather not know?

...whether it be natural ignorance of possibility and potential or a chemical filter that shields the mind from compulsively setting off everyday on a futile quest.

whatever you do you need to vent that spare energy somewhere. I think music is a highly accessible state for this energy to move into.

#152612 by VoiceInTheFan
Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:44 pm
The Tattoo on his arm!!! Look!!! A Grey!!! It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the song title....... Dev always has a way of being and remaining enigmatic in such a profound and complex way that it always catches my attention.

#152617 by Spectacular
Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:54 pm
Yanko wrote:This song is the most beautiful one in the album. "Ready or not here i come" gives me the chills everytime :D

Anyway

What i figured out (story-wise) is this: the universe, and everything in the 7th dimension and below (at least) are actually a big "puppet" reality made by the Greys, some superior alien race with some reason for doing all that. There are actually tons of real theories similar to that, like the ones that say that we (the humans, and the planet and everything) are only a big simulation made by some "bigger" form of existence.

And obviously there's the metaphor in the lyrics, which is pretty much free for everyone to interpret.

Fact is, this song's awesome
and i'm waiting to listen to it lossless, since my ZTO just arrived, finally! YAY :D

Haha that's really a stretch for such vague lyrics.

But that is the one track that lyrically I don't have a good feeling of what it means.