All hail Ziltoid!
#162603 by powercozmic
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:05 am
The drums.... F**king programmed drums suck bad.

No life to them drums. Montonous idiotic rhythm in the background saved only by the sheer mood and awesomeness of Dev's music.

Hope Dev gets a real drummer for the next one. Really, REALLY hope so.

Everything about Dev's music HAS to be perfect and the damned programmed drums in Ziltoid do not help.

Any of you a big fan of the drumkit on Ziltoid ?

#162604 by ringo_shells
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 am
I like the drums...

#162613 by djskrimp
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:55 am
Yeahhhh....I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.

I thought the drums were great. Sounded good, and weren't as insane as they COULD have been. A much more organic feel to them than I would have thought from a drumkit program.

#162614 by sj_2150
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:12 am
the drums are awesome. they give everything else on the album heaps of breathing space but theyre still heavy. yet ive always been a fan of programmed drums

#162615 by Tyroshai
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:17 am
It'd be extremely fucking hard to re-create some sections of the album with an actual kit.

...But Gene could do it XD

#162616 by FUBAR
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:18 am
They kinda fit the spacey vibe.

#162618 by Josiah Tobin
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:38 am
I don't have a problem with them being programmed (as mentioned, some parts are pretty much inhuman-- see 'Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!), but the fact that they're so insanely sharp and clicky sorta kills it for me, yeah. Clicky drums usually don't win any points with me, and these ones are so ridiculously snappy it's just way too much.

That's the only thing I really don't care for about the album, though. Just a pet peeve, really.

#162620 by Biert
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:09 am
Even I'm not going to rant about the drums :P

I think that they don't sound quite as natural as a real drummer. Also, Devin didn't use the full potential of programmed drums (it's the perfect opportunity to go completely mad and do things a real drummer can't do) but they're quite alright.
Also I think programmed drums take some of the dynamics away, since you have to think about everything you do first and then implement it, it's never spontaneous.

Programming drums is a freaking tedious job and Dev obviously put a lot of effort in it, and he did a great job I think.

#162626 by Blazingmonga
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:52 am
I wonder how many of us would have even realised that they were programmed in the first place if we had not been told! I have seen people commenting before on how Gene's drums sound inhuman before or thought they were programmed.

I think they sound great. Maybe leaning towards the robotic side of things rather than the 'natural' but it does fit the album perfectly.

I am sure that if Gene (or Ryan!) had been roped into playing drums it wouldn't have sounded necessarily that different. Maybe the actual drum sound is the more artificial aspect, rather than the 'playing' (be it programmed or human).

Aaah, Ziltoid can drink my coffee any day.

#162628 by BrunoN
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 am
Yeah, big, fat acoustic sounding drums isn't exactly Dev's cup of t^H^H^Hcoffee. Maybe a bit on Synchestra.

#162632 by Liquid
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:54 am
Yeah, I have just always thought that the Ziltoid drums sounded like Devin wrote them for Gene, but used the drum machine instead. They sound just like what Gene would put out, I think. Gene doesn't sound very human either.

And that's one of the cool things about RVP. He's the most innovative and "organic" drummer Dev has worked with, I think. He's got some groove and all that. Plus, of course, his cymbal work is completely killer.

Lastly, for the record, the programmed drums in Ziltoid are pretty good, I think. I like them. It would be cool to see a real drummer jamming along with Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! or something, though.

#162637 by Blazingmonga
Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 am
Liquid wrote:It would be cool to see a real drummer jamming along with Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! or something, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a video popping up on Youtube of just that.

Maybe in 20 years Devin will do a concert encompassing everything he has ever done...
At the O2 in London.
And nobody will be able to get tickets.
Doh!
?

#162638 by Biert
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:02 am
I asked RVP about the Ziltoid drums on his forums, but he hasn't replied.... I'll give him another poke ;)

#162639 by shiram
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:44 am
didnt he say he would like to play some ziltoid live?
i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere

#162642 by Spaceman Spiff
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:01 am
I like the DFH. I liked it on Catch Thirty-Three and the Nothing remix as well. Ziltoid is no exception - as someone else said, it fits the "spacey" theme.