All hail Ziltoid!
#269332 by Lettuce
Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 pm
That's what I though! But it may just be a web series...we just have to wait and see :B
#272855 by bassbait
Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:40 pm
I read on Wikipedia that he said "I’m very rapidly realizing that humor and metal… it doesn’t really work."

Now, the whole "..." thing makes me think this quote is out of context...

but didn't Devin make his career off of that? I mean, HaaRHT, The New Black, Cooked on Phonics, Ziltoid, Deconstruction...

Is he saying that people won't appreciate his sense of humor? Because that was proven wrong by the continual good reviews he gets for every album he releases. Is he saying that he doesn't think metal should have a sense of humor? Because that's proven wrong by the majority of bands making metal, including Meshuggah, the band he thinks is the band everybody is ripping off, and also by SYL, which was getting really popular before he stopped it.

But my third theory is that he doesn't believe much in making SYL style music anymore. He's gotten sick of the whole "extreme metal with a sense of humor" that he had in SYL's career, and he probably wants to keep making more "meaningful" albums.

Personally, I think his most meaningful albums are the first 4 SYL albums and Deconstruction, as I think they show the most passion. So I'd totally be up for Z2, and I don't see why having a sense of humor would get in the way of making another great album. The only 2 reasons that are completely justified are if he has trouble writing another Ziltoid album musically, and if he can't really continue the storyline since Ziltoid was wrapped up in the first album, especially with the last song.
#272859 by Octillus
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:52 pm
More like he had to constantly justify and explain the humor all the time, and it took the wind out of his sails for it.
#275103 by DevinJayLeibe
Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm
I woke up to this on twitter (my phone texts me tweets)--
dvntownsend: To be clear: Ziltoid is my life mate. No way does he get left behnd, I just may not do Z2 next. record is vying for pole-position currently.

I was so excited I couldn't get back to sleep. Epicloud, ZTV, Z2, Ghost 2 and what seems like more in the works looks like we really are the most spoiled fans ever :D
#275860 by mymomlikesdogs
Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 pm
Dang! This man just never stops!
I kind of secretly wish he would take at least a quarter of the year off from his work. I see him in interviews and he looks so damn tired. I kind of feel bad (and of course spoiled :) ). But I guess it would be an insult to him if we didn't beg to hear his work.

Can't wait for Z2, but we'll have the apparent sexiness that is Epicloud to hold us over.
#275896 by Sinkharmony
Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 am
mymomlikesdogs wrote:Dang! This man just never stops!
I kind of secretly wish he would take at least a quarter of the year off from his work. I see him in interviews and he looks so damn tired. I kind of feel bad (and of course spoiled :) ). But I guess it would be an insult to him if we didn't beg to hear his work.

Can't wait for Z2, but we'll have the apparent sexiness that is Epicloud to hold us over.

I think he probably looks tired in a lot of interviews because anytime you are out on the road for more than a few days it becomes a grind. You go balls out for an hour a night and the rest of the time you are either stuck in a smelly fan, stuck on a cramped airplane or eating truck stop food. So, it's tough to muster a ton of enthusiasm when you are getting asked the same questions from typically clueless interviewers every few nights. However, in the vast scheme of things to have the privilege of doing that as your job has got to be awesome. All jobs suck most of the time, but very few jobs are fucking AWESOME some of the time.

I think he'll take care of himself, I wouldn't worry, he's got a handle on it. ;)

Anyway that being said.... I hope we get a full on Ziltoid tour for Z2. Nothing BUT Ziltoid! Costumes, props, the whole nine yards! Oh man, that would be a dream come true.
#275899 by fragility
Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 am
I was thinking the same thing the other day while watching a recent interview - I would so not be able to handle it, I'd end up shouting at these people for being sodding idiots and asking stupid questions....which probably says a lot about me

Hey, if Devin wants to stop, he'll stop, there'll be no complaints here while he still decides to keep churning em out
#275961 by Tang
Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:14 am
Apparently Z2 will be a guest-filled album ala Decon.

len001 @dvntownsend with Z2, are you going to go into it mostly on your own like Z1 or do you figure on guest appearances like Deconstruction?

dvntownsend @len001 Huge amounts of people.
#275991 by mymomlikesdogs
Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 pm
ppinkham wrote:I have a feeling it is gong to be the full-blown musical he's been wanting to do for so long.

I'm liking the sound of the that.

It sucks though because on another tweet he implied that Z2 won't have the production values that Decon had. So that obviously means there won't be an orchestra or anything fancy like that. Which is understandable because we all know that Dev paid a lot of money for the orchestra right out of his pocket.

Decon already seemed like a musical to me, so I'm very much hopeful this "full-blown musical" thing with Z2 will be the case.
#276012 by DevinJayLeibe
Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:46 pm
Every time there are tweety updates about Z2 / Epicloud I get all smiley and happy xD I love having something outside of my own life to look forward to. If you know what I mean by that :P
#276014 by Lettuce
Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:54 pm
FFFFFF if we're talking a full blown musical with puppets n shit-

PLEASE LET ME MAKE SHIT DEV. YOU KNOW HOW AMAZING I AM AT MAKING SHIT >____________>
#276022 by DevinJayLeibe
Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:22 pm
Lettuce wrote:FFFFFF if we're talking a full blown musical with puppets n shit-

PLEASE LET ME MAKE SHIT DEV. YOU KNOW HOW AMAZING I AM AT MAKING SHIT >____________>

Crocheting shit, maybe :D
#276026 by Lettuce
Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:53 pm
I can also fiberglass shit, silicone shit, latex shit, plaster shit etc. Basically I'm well good at making shit.