Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#276361 by bassbait
Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm
I don't know if this has a thread already, but I checked the SYL forum and didn't find it, and since this is the only place I think it would be in, I guess I'll post it...

What is up with the sonic boom noise in Alien and The New Black that Devin does? That's one of the coolest effects in music, and I'd like to use a similar effect for my own music, the only problem being that I don't know how he did it. Does anyone have any clue about how to recreate that noise? And if this has been mentioned before, can someone kindly direct me to that?

Just so you know what I'm talking about, it plays during the "OH FUCK" part of Shitstorm, and the "YOU'RE BORING" part of Shine. Anyone have any clue of how to get that noise?
#276377 by Abydost
Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:12 pm
I think there's a thread already about this but make a sine wave in something like Massive (worked great for me), pitch it down gradually, add some attack to it with another noise, and then I guess sidechain it to the entire mix so it kind of takes over the whole energy of the music. I don't know if the sidechain is needed or if the limiter reacts that way if you add something as powerful as that.
#276391 by ctfod
Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:20 pm
It's a sub drop, there are multiple ways you can do it, but a lot of people get an 808 kick sample, jack up the bass, compress it and sidechain it so that it feels like it has this massive energy without getting to muddled up in the mix. The way it is on Alien is fucking sweet, though.
#276417 by static2
Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:35 pm
^ disagreed about it being particularly sweet on Alien, it just sucks all the energy out of everything else in the mix. he got a lot better at mixing in the sub hits later on.

you can essentially look up how to create a bass drop in electronica (i'm sure there are lots of YouTube instructionals!), it's the same thing.