Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#314858 by Garrie
Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm
Maybe I'm missing something, but why did Far Beyond Metal have to wait until The New Black to get a studio release?

Seems to have been a main staple of their live shows for several years previous to this... e.g. the first live album No Sleep 'till Bedtime recorded in 1997. What gives?
#314867 by static2
Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm
oddly, it was, err... too cheesy. xD

as i recall, the SYL albums since then were all too serious and intense for such a tongue-in-cheek message. since the last record is a big middle finger to that, it was the only time that made sense to record that song.
#314888 by Garrie
Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 am
static2 wrote:oddly, it was, err... too cheesy. xD

as i recall, the SYL albums since then were all too serious and intense for such a tongue-in-cheek message. since the last record is a big middle finger to that, it was the only time that made sense to record that song.

Fair enough. But then why was it such a staple of their live show?

And why did they expect the fans to know the lyrics - i.t. in the FTATR DVD they get Drew up on stage. Clearly he DIDN'T know the lyrics, but still, they expected that the fans would know even though it'd never been released!
#314900 by Octillus
Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:26 pm
Garrie wrote:

And why did they expect the fans to know the lyrics - i.t. in the FTATR DVD they get Drew up on stage. Clearly he DIDN'T know the lyrics, but still, they expected that the fans would know even though it'd never been released!

It was a fun headbanging song? Don't overthink it too much, they just always played it whenever they had a long enough set.
#314906 by swervedriver
Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 am
I also don't think that knowing the lyrics is necessary to be able to sing it. :D
#314948 by JuZ
Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:33 pm
Garrie wrote:

The shows were usually intense and full of plenty of that angsty ragey stuff, but Devin's sense of humour was also ever present. So there was always a slightly different vibe to the albums compared to the live show. The last album was the perfect time to record it for posterity, on an album that wasn't nearly as earnest as the others. I mean, imagine FBM on City, SYL or Alien... it just wouldn't work.

As for the lyrics thing, it was just a bit of in-crowd fun, no big deal.
#314982 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 am
I always figured it was just something exclusive for No Sleep Til Bedtime and whatever other live shows he did. Though I agree, it does work best on The New Black, if you were to put it on a main album.
#315154 by static2
Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm
JuZ wrote:As for the lyrics thing, it was just a bit of in-crowd fun, no big deal.

plus, i think it was yet another sarcastic middle finger to the SYL fans
#315162 by Lemurfist
Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 am
FBM was written by the live band for the live band to play originally. Lyrics changed night to night, depending on Devin's mood and taste. It was a nice treat for those of us who would do more than one show per tour.