2%
2%
20%
20%
5%
5%
#167245 by Deth Warmdover
Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:52 pm
City's mind blowing, my pet favorite is HAARHT but ALIEN pushed my beliefs. Long live ALIEN!!!!
#167246 by Deth Warmdover
Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:56 pm
It kinda bugs me that my all time favorite song is on an album that over all I don't rate in the tops.That song is Aftermath...That song just gets me Juggernaut!!! I fu***n LOVE that beat...I don't know why ..?
Deth
#167342 by Sanjuro
Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm
Hmmm, hard to say. HAARHT is a collection of demos and sounds like it, but the potential as well as a lot of already present talent is there. City was such a leap forward from HAARHT, and I love it to death, but I feel the same way about Alien. The eponymous album was great to, but it didn't affect me the same way as those two did. As for The New Black, man, it's a hell of a good disc, especially for a hastily written get-me-the-fuck-out-of-this-contract album. In the end, I gotta go with City for All Hail, OMFG, Detox, A.A.A., Velvet, and the rest. Alien comes a close second.
#173702 by Marijn
Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:56 am
City is my favourite SYL album. I just love All Hail The New Flesh! It's an incredible song. It has everything in it what Strapping Young Lad stands for. Wow...
#174509 by Faffy
Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm
My rating goes a little something like this:
1. Alien (wow, that was easy)
2. City / The New Black (not so easy o_O )
3. SYL
4. Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing

I absolutely LOVE Alien! It was in fact my first SYL album, but that's not why it's my favourite. I just love the theme, the real...ness and all the extreme emotions... you know? I'm ususaly more into quite "soft" metal, so I was like "why the hell am I enjoying this?!" because I had never liked such heavy music before. But I had already been a huge Devin-fan for a few months, so I gave it a try, which helped me a lot during the next months. DAMN that was cheesy. :D
#175582 by holtoid
Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:52 pm
City was an easy choice for me and it was the first SYL album I heard. It's got a real dark/cold/empty/epic/Futuristic/chaotic feeling that has been crafted by someone who was at the breach of insanity and inevitably created a masterpiece in the process.

Alien in second Place, very similar to City in it's vision but lacking in nostalgic effect (Purely Subjective)
The New Black and SYL tied in third, I actually think some of the tracks on TNB are some of SYL's best work.
HAARHT in at fourth but by no means last, slightly lacking in the production area and lacks as a whole piece but showed the signs of amazing things to come.
#176042 by Ambivalent
Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 pm
Alien. Second SYL song I listened to was Shitstorm, thought it might be a Trailer Park Boys tribute (damn Lahey). One of my faves, not to mention Skeksis, We Ride, Love?, and Zen. City is a very close second though.
#176727 by Stevie G
Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 am
For me, Alien tops the list.
It was by no means the first time I'd heard SYL, but when I sat there and read the lyrics during my first listen, my head just cracked open.
The Imperial-Skeksis-Shitstorm "trilogy" just... made sense to me. In a way few other musical pieces have. It was a combination of the deity-gone-insane lyrics and the xylophone, I think.

I wanted to show up to an SYL concert dressed up as an angry giant birdman so badly after that album came out... Ah well. It was not to be.

Anyway, after that it's City. The rest are all mood-based for 3rd. All great albums, though.