Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#159082 by Spaceman Spiff
Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:03 pm
...for a n00b like me that doesn't own any yet. I've noticed there are a few imports, and me being a bit OCD where collecting is concerned, I'd like to not find out there are some bonus tracks I'm missing out on when I buy a version of an album.

I've noticed that The New Black and a version of Alien share a common bonus track (I may not have that right) in "Zodiac?" Some shops are a little unclear as to what import version they've got, and some neglect to include tracklists.

#159093 by Biert
Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:38 am
Zodiac was originally recorded for Alien yes. I think you're best off with:

Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing Re-master (with "Monday" bonus track)
City Re-master (with a whole bunch of bonus tracks)
SYL - not sure how many versions there are
Alien with bonus DVD with studio footage
The New Black - Japanese edition with (IIRC)Zodiac, Long Pig, C:Enter:###

Add to that No Sleep Till Bedtime, and the For Those Aboot To Rock DVD and you're set :)

#159109 by Spaceman Spiff
Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:56 am
Cool, thanks. I think I've found all of these and it's not expensive as I'd feared. Good call.

#162030 by tombaldmosher
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:37 am
Biert wrote:Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing Re-master (with "Monday" bonus track)

I just noticed the City remaster this week, ordered it immediately (CDUniverse cheapest), but wasn't sure whether the HAARHT was a remaster or just a rerelease. Is the production really any better?

Haven't been able to find much info about either of them to be honest so I assume they're both Century Media cash cows. Interested to find out what a remastered City sounds like... improving on perfection is never easy

#162031 by Blazingmonga
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:41 am
tombaldmosher wrote:
Biert wrote:Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing Re-master (with "Monday" bonus track)

I just noticed the City remaster this week, ordered it immediately (CDUniverse cheapest), but wasn't sure whether the HAARHT was a remaster or just a rerelease. Is the production really any better?

Haven't been able to find much info about either of them to be honest so I assume they're both Century Media cash cows. Interested to find out what a remastered City sounds like... improving on perfection is never easy

HAARHT is a remaster, and is noticably clearer in my opinion. City is supposedly also a remaster but is not as obvious.

But yes, both CM cash cows!

#162032 by tombaldmosher
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:46 am
Do you have a decent ($1000+) hifi to compare them?

I used to take City with me as a tester disc as the original production was a bit sloppy. A Chord system costing well over US$40,000 made it sound absolutely horrific, with every other bass note reverberating horribly, but my $800 Technics SUA900 made it sound absolutely divine. Hence I didn't spend $40k ;)

I'm still reeling from when I played Physicist through Pro Logic surround sound.... awesome stuff

#162699 by Spaceman Spiff
Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:08 pm
I went and ordered a "C: Enter: ###" EP to start. I don't know if I'll get the Japanese release of The New Black just for "Long Pig," though.

#162700 by Biert
Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:13 pm
Long Pig is on my European TNB, it's probably a bonus track on most editions (just like Zodiac).

#162702 by Spaceman Spiff
Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:59 pm
Yeah, maybe I'll have to get that anyway - assuming it's not too much more. I need to get a nice FLAC copy of "C: Enter: ###" as well - I listen to most music on the PC... or burn to CD from there. I don't have a way to rip it from my vinyl.