#242923 by Turge
Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 am
Biert wrote:
Turge wrote:
dlawrence wrote:Noone's said Mechanism?

Heh, I was searching the thread to see if anyone else mentioned that album. :D

Yes indeed, Mechanize!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTh13Akdjg

Actually, Mechanism is one of the projects Gene is involved in: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %28band%29

Haha, I just noticed. :P sorry 'bout that!

I still think the new Fear Factory record is a good rebound lay. Then again, they've got Byron and Gene onboard, so it's more like screwing your ex's sister or something...
#244597 by ppinkham
Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 am
I'm diggin' Terror Syndrome. Not SYL, but lately they have been partially filling the void.
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CIVmFRuIRIQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CIVmFRuIRIQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
#244600 by Biert
Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:25 am
ppinkham wrote:I'm diggin' Terror Syndrome. Not SYL, but lately they have been partially filling the void.
[youtube]CIVmFRuIRIQ[/youtube]

Yep, great bunch of songs :D The obvious SYL connection is obvious, with Terror Syndrome having the greater half of the DTB on board, and Dev and Byron making a cameo :)

Still waiting for a release on CD though... Come on RVP you can do it!
#244619 by Chimairacle
Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 pm
CutManMetal wrote:I still need to listen to the new Fear Factory, I keep hearing good things about it.

Yeah, I've heard it's pretty similar to their earlier stuff, which is good. Not that they ever went downhill much though, at least I don't think so.
#244632 by mrbean667
Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:04 am
Strapping Young Factory are awesome.
Mechanize is really worth a listen.
#247738 by kandy666
Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:11 pm
mrbean667 wrote:Strapping Young Factory are awesome.
Mechanize is really worth a listen.

Hahaha, very true about 'Strapping Young Factory'! Gotta love Fear Factory. I prefer their older stuff tbh. Much prefer songs like Martyr ... Industrial Discipline off Mechanize is the best track on there, in my opinion.

Can't think of any other band that sound anything like Strapping! Urmmmm, I guess (at points) Children of Bodom have *some* of the epicness of the SYL sound, and Scum (the band Casey Chaos fronted) have some of the chaos and humour ... *shrug* That's all I can think of!
#260427 by Retribution
Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 am
It's often difficult to find a "replacement" for a band especially if the band was somehow unique. Lots of times you can find something almost similar musicwise but the problem then might be the "feel" of the band. Some bands have "it" which is hard to replace. Just the way the members work on an unconscious level can make a difference. For example SYL had some kind of genuine rage and presence that lots of other bands don't have. And just imitating doesn't work if it doesn't come naturally from inside. That was the key to SYL (and still is for Devin's music) and some other bands : it was honest.
#262777 by bassbait
Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 am
I'd say Tenet and Opeth. Tenet is mainly the guys from SYL, but with the singer of Exodus on vocals -

[youtube]_PEqsUjsS_o[/youtube]

And then Opeth is obviously one of the greatest bands when it combines heavy with melody. But they were the same year as SYL formed, and have gained a much bigger fanbase since then. If you don't know who Opeth is by now, where have you been all this time? And when Mikael, the main guy from Opeth, is guest vocalling on Deconstruction, that's more evidence.

If you SERIOUSLY haven't heard them by now, here's a taste -

[youtube]aSSLXMzxxP8[/youtube]
#262780 by bassbait
Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:27 am
Oh, and also Vektor, they are a very new band that combines melodic style of music with INSANE vocals. He never gets melodic vocally, but he does some great power wails. Listen to this song -

[youtube]zsudyBzPGEI[/youtube]

The best part, in terms of vocal INSANITY, is 2:24. Start from there, and get ready for a RIDE!