Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#181883 by BrunoN
Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:47 am
Roddy wrote:
Turge wrote:Mencea has many similarities with Gojira and SYL, check them out.

Just checking them out now. Lovin' their stuff too! Another great tip! There's just TOO much amazing music out there to keep up with these days....

That's pretty good indeed. Didn't know about them.
#181886 by Turge
Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:22 am
Yeah, they're a pretty small Greek band that got signed on Norwegian label TUBA not long ago. I saw some ads in the metal magazine I usually buy (Scream Magazine) and checked them out in the nearest record shop.
#181926 by chip8088
Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:32 pm
What really sold me with Strapping was Devin's insane voice, both clean and screams. I've never heard anything like it and i've never been able to come close to imitating it. I'd say look into what Devin's produced and see if anything good comes up, or look for old things and other bands he's sang or played for. Wikipedia has a list somewhere.
#230531 by Pik_Nick'92
Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:59 am
Put it this way: You can't replace SYL. If your desperate I reccommend Meshuggah, they're even more chaotic, and some other good technical death metal band If you liked Alien. Recent bands like Arsis and that new supergroup thing happening, Obscura I think. But either way, I wouldn't dare consider bands to, well "imitate" their unique sound. They've already done about 50+ songs, thats enough songs for me to listen to over and over 8) (Skeksis never gets boring for me, as with a whole lot of other songs).

And I think everyone agrees with me when I say that Dev was really what put the "unique" sound in, Him and Gene just managed to have this great connection with each other and the other band mates which resulted in one of the most full on metal bands imo. Rememeber OMFG? Dev's vocals and Gene's drumming just cannot be redone on a legendary track like that.

And I quite like Gojira's sound and lengthy outro's. Like Global Warming, its got that repetitve tapping riff that pretty much goes throught the entire song but no matter what each note still captivates me. Keep in mind their pro-environment attitude too. Shows people metal isn't all about blood, murder, suicide and anti-whatever themes.

And Randy Blythe likes em, which is metal enough for me :D
#231676 by mrbean667
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:44 pm
Mencea are really really good. I checked them out recently, and they are obviously influenced by SYL.
Very chaotic and heavy. I like!

I've tried to get into Meshuggah, due to Dev's love for them, but nothing in the end can compare to Strapping.
#240372 by Odysseas
Fri May 21, 2010 8:26 pm
Hi metalheads! You guys might wanna try Mnemic, especially the two first albums "Mechanical Spin Phenomena" and "The Audio Injected Soul". For those who don't know'em, they have some pretty insane heavy riffs, polyrythmics, great vocals. It's some kind of industrial death with some more melodic parts in it. Production is a little poor but the overall result is very satisfying to the ear. Obviously influenced by SYL.
They have two more albums which are quite good but lack some of that madness we all love about Devin.
There, knock yourselves out!
#240378 by GuyOne
Sat May 22, 2010 1:12 am
Got into SYL and Meshuggah around the same time (maybe Meshuggah just a little later than SYL) and I have never been able to find a band to take SYL's spot. To me the only thing on the same level as SYL would be Meshuggah. Gojira is pretty good though I have been having a tough time getting into them.

I'll check out the other bands recommended in this thread. Thank the Thunder God for Spotify!
#240387 by Pik_Nick'92
Sat May 22, 2010 4:55 am
Odysseas wrote:Hi metalheads! You guys might wanna try Mnemic, especially the two first albums "Mechanical Spin Phenomena" and "The Audio Injected Soul". For those who don't know'em, they have some pretty insane heavy riffs, polyrythmics, great vocals. It's some kind of industrial death with some more melodic parts in it. Production is a little poor but the overall result is very satisfying to the ear. Obviously influenced by SYL.
They have two more albums which are quite good but lack some of that madness we all love about Devin.
There, knock yourselves out!

Yes! I love that band. Just listen to DB'XX'D from Mechanical Spin Phenomena and hear the intensity. If you ask me, the track has a good SYL "City" feel to it. Sane Vs Normal is another great song also.
#240402 by mrbean667
Sat May 22, 2010 11:10 pm
Mnemic is pretty good, but a little too -core for me.
#240564 by Wosko
Tue May 25, 2010 1:21 pm
It was good Dev quit SYL when he did I still love The New Black but you can tell Dev is trying to veer off in another direction with his music. They ended it before it got stale like the trailer park boys hahaha

I would give an arm and a leg if SYL did one last tour tho :P
#240591 by Helge-Uwe
Wed May 26, 2010 12:37 am
Wosko wrote:I would give an arm and a leg if SYL did one last tour tho :P

!!!!!

But tell me: Who would not?
Even my mom would do so probably. And if it was just for me.
#242765 by CutManMetal
Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 pm
I've been lurking a while, so, let me finally say; thanks to everyone in this thread. I've found some good bands thanks
to this thread. Particularly Raunchy, I'd say. Confusion Bay is a FANTASTIC album.

It's hard to find a band as simultaneously heavy, melodic, and atmospheric as SYL... So many bands only have one or two of
these aspects. Oh, I know... I feel like SYL fans- or you guys, anyway- could likely appreciate the chaos of the band SikTh. Look
up "Bland Street Bloom" on Youtube. (Sadly, this band is gone now, too... But, still.)

Also, I'm trying to implement SYL influence into my own music if anyone is interesting. *points to my signature* May as well mention myself, right? *laughs*
#242919 by Biert
Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:44 am
Turge wrote:
dlawrence wrote:Noone's said Mechanism?

Heh, I was searching the thread to see if anyone else mentioned that album. :D

Yes indeed, Mechanize!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTh13Akdjg

Actually, Mechanism is one of the projects Gene is involved in: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %28band%29