Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#220398 by AppleQueso
Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm
Regardless of the fact that he's praising SYL, I can't help but be incredibly annoyed (and even offended to some extent) at the OP's incredibly narrow-minded and stereotype-laden view of extreme metal as a whole, and his sputtering on about it as if his contrived view is fact. The fact that the only BAND you mentioned is (of all things) Pantera, a band which adopted said contrived machismo and rode it to the top, pretty much the band that INVENTED contrived machismo in mainstream metal, doesn't really help you any.

This faux-tough guy image is almost entirely absent in the world of extreme metal, yet you act as if it's the predominant feature. News flash buddy, it's practically non-existent outside of the realm of mainstream bullshit acts, and this even goes for those "staccato growl" and "brutal" bands you and your supporters go so far out of your way to shun on these boards.

Napalm Death and their ilk's political ranting certainly sounds pretty passionate and genuinely angry to me, Cannibal Corpse and their followers' tributes to gore and slasher films hardly seems like an attempt at intimidation, and the bleak, haunting, and dare I say poetic lyrics and themes of bands like Suffocation and Immolation certainly seems like a far cry from the "FUCK MAN I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS" bullshit you're applying to all of these bands as a whole. Not that it matters, you and your buddies here will still consider all of it talentless passionless emotionless baboon crap anyhow.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm frustrated, and I can't listen to SYL now because it'll just remind me of this guy who thought the best way to lift Devin's music up was to knock other bands' music down a peg, so I'm instead going to listen to Bolt Thrower.

EDIT: Anyhow, yeah that set me off, always does. That bit about machismo, etc, aside, I agree with you about SYL quite a lot. I don't post on Devin's forum, don't own all 5 albums + the live DVD, and don't wear my SYL shirt all the time for nothing. I love the band (and Devin Townsend in general) quite a lot, don't get me wrong, I just think that this genre (extreme metal) gets far less respect than it really deserves, largely because people impose stereotypes like that one onto it so often.
#220778 by BrunoN
Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:58 am
AppleQueso wrote:Regardless of the fact that he's praising SYL, I can't help but be incredibly annoyed (and even offended to some extent) at the OP's incredibly narrow-minded and stereotype-laden view of extreme metal as a whole, and his sputtering on about it as if his contrived view is fact. The fact that the only BAND you mentioned is (of all things) Pantera, a band which adopted said contrived machismo and rode it to the top, pretty much the band that INVENTED contrived machismo in mainstream metal, doesn't really help you any.

This faux-tough guy image is almost entirely absent in the world of extreme metal, yet you act as if it's the predominant feature. News flash buddy, it's practically non-existent outside of the realm of mainstream bullshit acts, and this even goes for those "staccato growl" and "brutal" bands you and your supporters go so far out of your way to shun on these boards.

Napalm Death and their ilk's political ranting certainly sounds pretty passionate and genuinely angry to me, Cannibal Corpse and their followers' tributes to gore and slasher films hardly seems like an attempt at intimidation, and the bleak, haunting, and dare I say poetic lyrics and themes of bands like Suffocation and Immolation certainly seems like a far cry from the "FUCK MAN I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS" bullshit you're applying to all of these bands as a whole. Not that it matters, you and your buddies here will still consider all of it talentless passionless emotionless baboon crap anyhow.

Well nice that you provided examples.

Yeah, they definitely don't try to look though. That ammo belt on Immolation dude looks particularly peaceful :>

Yes, I know plenty of extreme metal dudes are great people for sure and it's all for fun (Suffocation playing in Discovery channel ad is absolutely brilliant thing and Cannibal Corpse on the photo are probably taking the piss), but you know, it's still "and now I'm gonna explain the problem of social inequality through the medium of WAAARARRRRGGGHH". Looks like you're overlooking pretty fundamental things if you can't see how much extreme metal is based on the image of thoughness and being scary. In case you didn't notice - these weren't personal attacks on the musicians - it's about their (and their bands') image - whatever noble they and their message is, they still doing their best to look like, well, deathmetallers :)
#220841 by AppleQueso
Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:04 pm
BrunoN wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Regardless of the fact that he's praising SYL, I can't help but be incredibly annoyed (and even offended to some extent) at the OP's incredibly narrow-minded and stereotype-laden view of extreme metal as a whole, and his sputtering on about it as if his contrived view is fact. The fact that the only BAND you mentioned is (of all things) Pantera, a band which adopted said contrived machismo and rode it to the top, pretty much the band that INVENTED contrived machismo in mainstream metal, doesn't really help you any.

Well nice that you provided examples.

Yeah, they definitely don't try to look though. That ammo belt on Immolation dude looks particularly peaceful :>

Yes, I know plenty of extreme metal dudes are great people for sure and it's all for fun (Suffocation playing in Discovery channel ad is absolutely brilliant thing and Cannibal Corpse on the photo are probably taking the piss), but you know, it's still "and now I'm gonna explain the problem of social inequality through the medium of WAAARARRRRGGGHH". Looks like you're overlooking pretty fundamental things if you can't see how much extreme metal is based on the image of thoughness and being scary. In case you didn't notice - these weren't personal attacks on the musicians - it's about their (and their bands') image - whatever noble they and their message is, they still doing their best to look like, well, deathmetallers :)

Well let's be fair here:

It goes with the music style. As you said, (and from the examples you pointed out), it is all for fun, none of these bands seriously think they're intimidating you or are trying to cover insecurities up with a supposedly threatening image. It's an act, and none of these bands ever pretend it isn't. Besides, you may not be taking the piss out of the band members themselves or out of their music, but the OP most certainly was, and THAT'S my problem.
#223145 by theycallmecheese
Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:51 pm
applequeso

How much I personally like a piece of music is governed almost entirely by whether or not I determine the emotions conveyed to be both genuine and relatable. This explains my love of Pantera and my CRAZY HYPOCRITICAL simultaneous disdain for bands that sound like Pantera.

You're welcome.
#223253 by Tosser
Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:57 am
theycallmecheese wrote:applequeso

How much I personally like a piece of music is governed almost entirely by whether or not I determine the emotions conveyed to be both genuine and relatable. This explains my love of Pantera and my CRAZY HYPOCRITICAL simultaneous disdain for bands that sound like Pantera.

You're welcome.

Same here, I completely agree.

Also, your intial post really hit the nail on the head.
#223261 by AppleQueso
Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:52 am
Nobody likes bands that sound like Pantera. Pantera clones are the bane of everyone's local music scene.

I like my music to be genuine. Even if not necessarily relatable, it needs to at least be intriguing. I love anything that can take me to another world. SYL and Devin Townsend do that quite well for me.

It seems however that the music you are attacking in your post and the music I am trying to defend are most likely two very different things, so I'll just leave things be and apologize for the mess.
#227599 by Jack8the8Ripper
Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:23 am
Tosser wrote:
theycallmecheese wrote:applequeso

You're welcome.

Same here, I completely agree.

Also, your intial post really hit the nail on the head.

thirded. Pantera was such a unique phenomenon, and they walked the line. There will never be another Pantera, and i CRINGE every time i hear a cover of their songs. such bands try to tap into the energy but they corrupt the honesty...they're the kind of bands Pantera stood against. i could go on and on, pantera is one of the very very few bands I put on the level of respect I have for SYL, and again it all goes back to honesty.