Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#184942 by allmyfriends
Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:57 am
Even typing this thread I can feel hundreds of SYL fans getting ready to kill me. However, as it is, I got into Devin Townsend & SYL through Devin's solo career (Terria & Accelerated Evolution) and have only heard a handful of SYL songs (Love?, SYL, Oh My Fucking God and Almost Again). I've wanted to buy through their discography for a while though and I was wondering which was the best album to start with. I toyed with getting Alien first, then I though it'd probably just be easier to buy through in order.

If it's any help my top 3 solo Devin album (right now) would probably be: Accelerated Evolution, Ziltoid The Omniscient and Infinity.

So yes, what's the best SYL album to start off with, or would it be better just to purchase through them in release order? Discuss!?
#184943 by WizardJoe
Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 pm
Not only was Alien my introduction to SYL, it was also my introduction to Devin himself - and what an intro it was. That would be my rec, closely followed by City, which is a better album, but less immediate and more frenetic. Save self-titled and Heavy As.. for last - they're good in their own right but pale in comparison.
#185399 by Hughie
Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm
I'd actually suggest Physicist as a transition from DTB to SYL.. but I think I might be alone in that suggestion. Just get everything :D
#185662 by Roddy
Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:14 am
Hughie wrote:I'd actually suggest Physicist as a transition from DTB to SYL.. but I think I might be alone in that suggestion. Just get everything :D

No, that actually makes alot of sense. Get Physicist, and then get City. Then get everything else!
#187795 by strapping_young_lad
Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:15 am
you should not have asked this because everyone will give you his/her own opinion and confuse you. just buy any album they are all awesome. (but i think city would be good start. not because i heard that one first but because its is "THE SYL" album..if you know what i mean)
#189654 by allmyfriends
Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 pm
Cool, well come my next payday (Friday) I think I'm gonna make the plunge as it were and get City and Alien. Cheers guys
#189766 by Big Dumb Lad
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:50 am
Heavy as a really heavy thing, No doubt. the album that started me on the road to SYL gripped me with my favourite song In The Rainy Season. Reminds me of back home in Liverpool :D
#191541 by therapist
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:36 am
Alien was my first introduction to Devin's work, so I Jumped straight in the deep end.
Followed by City, The new black & S.y.l.
Their self titled album is my latest purchase & favorite so far.
Yet to get my hands on Heavy as a really heavy thing.

Sad to see such a fucking EPIC group disband, I'm kicking myself I didn't find them earlier.
#197549 by jburde
Sun May 10, 2009 6:18 pm
I recommend Alien first, since that was my first Devin album as well. Then if you want more Strapping either go for City or Self Titled next
#199173 by allmyfriends
Sun May 24, 2009 8:41 am
I ended up picking up Alien and Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing both of which are quite awesome. Cheers for the input here guys. From here on out I think I'll get 'em in chronological order
#202768 by CyclopZ
Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 pm
City or The New Black, I think... Alien is difficult to understand at once with it's chaotic riff structure. S/T is more straightforward and, I think, it doesn't shocks so much, when you listen to it for the first time.
#203369 by allmyfriends
Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:51 am
I only ended up getting Heavy last month.

This month I made the plunge and brought City, SYL, Alien AND The New Black in one go. So I'll have a lot of Dev to tide me over until Addicted comes out