Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#188474 by strapping_young_lad
Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 am
just saw FTATR. The guy who dev called up to sing chorus for the ending song "far beyond metal" completely fucked it up. not just the song, but feeling i got from watching all the previous songs on dvd. seriously, why the fuck did dev call someone on stage to sing, in the first place?? i dont know i should be or not but i am really...really...pissed.. :chain: :furious:
#188480 by Lolliklauer
Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:21 am
strapping_young_lad wrote:seriously, why the fuck did dev call someone on stage to sing, in the first place??

I don't know, but i think because it's one of SYL's most important characteristics not to take themselves too seriously. For me in a way it's some kind of grotesque comedy DVD, and i love it (that doesn't mean it couldn't have some very serious and dark parts as well, it works in several ways for me).
#188517 by strapping_young_lad
Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm
kasarna wrote:"That's right Drew, airguitar!" :lol:

poor guy didn't know he was subject of amusement for the entire time (at least, thats what i think dev was trying to do). he did not get it until the end when dev told him you have to "live with it for the rest of your life" (dev seemed pretty happy about it). i see the comical point of view but i guess i was "just not in the mood" for such thing after watching the entire dvd. plus, "far beyond metal" is one of the tracks that i "respect" (doesn't matter to me what the intentions of syl were while writing that song). he "destroyed" it. the whole fucking thing. i partly blame dev (its not that he would give a fuck :) ). anyway, i am still pissed... :furious:
#188665 by Biert
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:09 am
No it was really Drew's voice, I read an interview with Gene about it. He sung really quiet and really high-pitched, and they had to dig in the recordings to find it, and this is the most they could get out of it. They had someone from the audience on stage every night, and the night of the DVD recording, the guy fucked up :lol: Like me, Gene thought it was a classic moment and it gives the DVD some extra charm.
#188701 by Leechmaster
Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:55 pm
Ah give him a break.. he shits the bed. :P I think it wonderfully sums up just what a piss take metal music really is. :D
#188726 by swervedriver
Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:52 pm
The appearance of Drew was one of the main reasons I bought the DVD.

Ok, perhaps not. However, the complete and utter chaos going on on-stage and then this Drew guy sounding like someone is electrocuting his unmentionables... it's so entertaining. Drew shits the bed, I shit my pants (out of laughter). :D
#188748 by djskrimp
Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:35 pm
Meh. It was an experience of a lifetime for Drew, and par for the course for SYL. I see no reason to be bothered.
#191287 by Warhead
Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:30 pm
Drew didn`t give a fuck if his voice was terrible. That`s what makes him awesome.
#191387 by Biert
Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:55 am
He made a legendary performance on the DVD of one of the greatest bands in the world! Fuck it if he sucked! :D
#191394 by Persuader
Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:15 am
One of the DVD's (many) highlights, I loved it.