Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#210938 by filitalian
Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 pm
Okay, has anyone noticed a connection with Velvet Kevorkian "all you are is allyou are," and Nirvana's All Apologies, "all in all is all we are"? I always thought All Apologies was sort of a pathetic, heroin driven lyric...
#210939 by Zyprexa
Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:04 pm
"all you are is allyou are," and Nirvana's All Apologies, "all in all is all we are"

"All you are, is all you are" essentially means that one cannot be anything more than one is. "All in all is all we are" doesn't really make any grammatical sense but I'd imagine it to mean that people are sheep who are nothing without other people, if it means anything. Which it probably doesn't; because as you said, there were a lot of drugs involved in most of Kurt Cobain's lyrics.

Eh, besides the linguistic discrepancies I consider likening Dev to Cobain to be on par with likening Sigmund Freud to Homer Simpson (which has undoubtedly been done in some context).
#210965 by djskrimp
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:14 pm
Zyprexa wrote:"all you are is allyou are," and Nirvana's All Apologies, "all in all is all we are"

"All you are, is all you are" essentially means that one cannot be anything more than one is. "All in all is all we are" doesn't really make any grammatical sense but I'd imagine it to mean that people are sheep who are nothing without other people, if it means anything. Which it probably doesn't; because as you said, there were a lot of drugs involved in most of Kurt Cobain's lyrics.

Eh, besides the linguistic discrepancies I consider likening Dev to Cobain to be on par with likening Sigmund Freud to Homer Simpson (which has undoubtedly been done in some context).

:blink: Woman, sometimes I think you harbor a genius or three under the boot.
#211019 by Zyprexa
Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:56 am
Grammar nazis aren't intelligent, they're just obtuse and belligerent.

But thanks, lovey. :.)
#211171 by filitalian
Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 pm
Zyprexa wrote:Grammar nazis aren't intelligent, they're just obtuse and belligerent.

But thanks, lovey. :.)

Perhaps you misinterpreted my question if you claim that I'm a grammar nazi. (I could be a nazi nazi though, but no I'm too dark skinned) I was merely trying to find his motivation for writing that line in the song and not at all comparing the two guys.
#211203 by swervedriver
Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 am
Zyprexa was probably referring to herself in response to djskrimp's post.