Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#241682 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:44 am
Happy Camper remains my favorite SYL song, and the album is a whole is fantastic. It is the album that got me interested in SYL and Devin, after all, so dismissing it upon hearing the other works would be something of a betrayal. Besides, how could anyone not like Satan's Ice Cream Truck? Seriously. :mrgreen:
#241946 by dlawrence
Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 am
An excellent album. The second one I heard after buying Alien. It spent a lifetime living in my car stereo on endless repeat. Probably the most "industrial" of anything Dev's done.

Aaand, as far as comparisons to The New Black go, when you look at the way both albums came to be (mainly from frustration at the music industry, but also a not-giving-a-fuck attitude), they both serve as a perfect circular career path for Strapping. In that sense, and not just the great music, it's essential Lad.
#244521 by Chimairacle
Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:48 am
dlawrence wrote:An excellent album. The second one I heard after buying Alien. It spent a lifetime living in my car stereo on endless repeat. Probably the most "industrial" of anything Dev's done.

Aaand, as far as comparisons to The New Black go, when you look at the way both albums came to be (mainly from frustration at the music industry, but also a not-giving-a-fuck attitude), they both serve as a perfect circular career path for Strapping. In that sense, and not just the great music, it's essential Lad.

I agree. I like the album as a whole, even though I do think it traverses both extremes in the sense that there are a couple of gems on there, as well as some not-so-great songs. I don't dislike any of it in particular, but the subsequent albums proved there's a lot better out there. I'm surprised it's barely mentioned here, but I really love Japan. Cod Metal King would be my other favourite, but strangely I like it for its industrial, high school demo-style sound so I'm not sure if that counts :lol:
#247677 by Odysseas
Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:33 am
Agreed!
I tell you I can't sit a day without listening to that record. Goat is a great song, Happy Camper is the craziest shit I've ever hear in my life and the rest is just plain awsome. And don't forget that Devin recorded the whole album almost by himself and he was very young (much younger than I am right now) so technically the album is very VERY rich and well done.

On top of the world!
#252661 by PUNCHLINE
Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:11 am
Love the album still today. I bought it when it first came out and it still sounds monstrous.
SYL, Rainy Season, Goat and Happy Camper were all amazing live as well.
#262722 by bassbait
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:33 pm
I'll tell you what, although I know a lot of their songs, the one I have the most fun singing along to is "Happy Camper"

That is BY FAR, his most underrated song. It makes OMFG look weak in comparison. Happy Camper actually defines SYL better than any other song of his. And to top it all off, "What a miserable guy" is the funniest thing I've ever heard in a song.

So in the end, Happy Camper makes the whole album worth it. But Satan's Ice Cream Truck, SYL, In the Rainy Season, and Critic are also highlights for me.