Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#229355 by Thebruce88
Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:40 pm
Even Devin doesn't seem to like it, the only songs he ever plays live are SYL and In the Rainy Season. Sure, Goat is a pile of shit, but otherwise there's not a single song on here I dislike. This album crushes SYL and The New Black, and approaches Alien in quality. It's aggressive, chaotic, angry, experimental, and fucking fun. It even has its moments of "beauty" in Sweet City Jesus. Drizzlehell, if you can get past the insane distortion is a pretty fun, catchy song, and Skin Me has fucking ridiculous vocals.

Anyone else love this album?
#229388 by soundsofentropy
Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:35 pm
I can dig it. It comes closer to City for me in terms of texture. I wouldn't really compare it to TNB, though, just because I don't see that album as much of a Strapping album. It's sort of like some catchy sellout SYL joke or something. I like it quite a bit, but it's for different reasons than those for which I like other SYL works. And in my opinion, almost everything trumps SYL. That album just oozed boredom, lack of inspiration, and insecurity to me.

But HRHT is pretty awesome. I probably don't give it as many spins as it deserves. "Skin Me" is excellent. Something about the production on the album feels a little stale to me, though (obviously I haven't deeply analyzed my feelings for it). Still prefer City and Alien. My two cents--just so you know someone else likes it.
#229403 by cheesecake
Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 pm
SYL is the only album I haven't heard (besides Devour, Consequence & Force Fed) - so I can't use it as a comparison.

HAARHT is OK. Love the first 2 tracks, and Critic is awesome. But as the title warns, its DAMN HEAVY. And usually, I can't listen to it from start to finish in one sitting (not because its too heavy, there's just something about it that makes me go "meh, I'm off to do something else" after about 6 tracks.)

I reallllly want to hear SYL, despite the flack it gets. First time I heard Consequence was on the "Aboot to Rock" DVD. It was a POWERFUL opener to that gig.
#229425 by Abydost
Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:19 am
cheesecake wrote:SYL is the only album I haven't heard (besides Devour, Consequence & Force Fed) - so I can't use it as a comparison.

HAARHT is OK. Love the first 2 tracks, and Critic is awesome. But as the title warns, its DAMN HEAVY. And usually, I can't listen to it from start to finish in one sitting (not because its too heavy, there's just something about it that makes me go "meh, I'm off to do something else" after about 6 tracks.)

I reallllly want to hear SYL, despite the flack it gets. First time I heard Consequence was on the "Aboot to Rock" DVD. It was a POWERFUL opener to that gig.

Dude, Aftermath.
#229507 by Blazingmonga
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:30 am
HAARHT is awesome! Noisy, pissed off and slightly perverse.

It is a shame that they didn't play much of it live. I have a bootleg somewhere of Goat and Happy Camper being played though. It's probably on youtube.
#235441 by cheesecake
Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:08 am
Abydost wrote:
cheesecake wrote:SYL is the only album I haven't heard (besides Devour, Consequence & Force Fed) - so I can't use it as a comparison.

Dude, Aftermath.

*Delayed response, lol*

I have heard Aftermath, just forgot to mention it in my "list". Epic song.
#235650 by Leechmaster
Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 pm
I love HAARHT! Aside from the obvious opening two being crushing behemoths of aural pleasure, it's got a load of great tracks on it. If you feel like you're going slightly mad or having a shitty day I find no better remedy than to put on Happy Camper... or in fact, a ton of the songs on it are just perfect for that sort of mood. It certainly isn't a masterpiece or anything, but for what it is, a highly entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable piece of ear-assaulting Devyness, tis only wonderful.
#237932 by catharsis
Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:26 am
cod metal king kicks ass
#238004 by Scruff
Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:51 pm
Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing was the first album I got by SYL, and I loved it and still do. I can listen to the whole thing and not get bored, it's raw, powerful and messy, it's just what makes it sound unique and brilliant I think.

S.Y.L, In The Rainy Season, Critic, Skin Me and Drizzlehell stand out to me as the top songs but the rest of them are great too. If we can include the bonus tracks then I would shove Japan near the top of the list, if not at the top.
#238623 by Noisy_Pink_Bubble106
Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:40 pm
I listened to it once, I'll have to give it another chance. I think Happy Camper is his greatest "angry" song. He made that song so personal, it sounded like that was made up a huge fraction of his venting in Strapping Young Lad. Shitstorm wouldn't be too close behind in my book, just because of the pure energy of these songs.
#238638 by psychotic
Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:04 pm
I like the album as a whole, but it really is the only Devin Townsend related albums that, when I listen to it, I find myself flipping from song to song. SYL and Rainy Season are both AWESOME songs, I love Happy Camper, and I also really like Satan's Ice Cream Truck, and those are all among my favorite SYL tracks, but the rest of it, as a whole I really don't care for as much.
#238745 by djskrimp
Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 am
HaaRHT was the first step to today, so it's a much beloved album for me. That, and SYL is so much a mission statement that I totally bought into (sorry for the bad pun), and still subscribe to, in many ways.
#240569 by ctfod
Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm
I actually really like Goat, it has a deathly groove that reminds me heavily of Pantera, who I were very much into when I was younger, so I can't help but like it.
#240585 by mrbean667
Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 pm
The lyrics of SYL define me as a person.