Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#245583 by Scruff
Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:20 am
I was thinking the other day it would be interesting to get a list of songs that Strapping Young Lad didn't play live, so if anyone knows any songs that didn't make it onto any of their setlists, then put them in here!
#248761 by Helge-Uwe
Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:02 am
I'd say most of HAARHT and The New Black... and I don't remember having seen too many Alien songs (esp. second half) as well in setlists.

and far too little Terria :shock:
#248765 by swervedriver
Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 am
Helge-Uwe wrote:I'd say most of HAARHT and The New Black... and I don't remember having seen too many Alien songs (esp. second half) as well in setlists.

and far too little Terria :shock:

Terria isn't SYL... (which this topic is about)
#248791 by Helge-Uwe
Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:09 am
of course - you took it too serious :|
#248807 by swervedriver
Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:27 am
Well, before this turns into "he never played The Death Of Music live either". Or similar solo-career-related suggestions, which could easily fit in the existing set list ideas thread(s).

Ontopic, I don't think they've ever played Info Dump live. :D
#262721 by bassbait
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:28 pm
I know for a fact that he's played Happy Camper, which I expected they wouldn't ever play live.

[youtube]TAXOdMK2d00[/youtube]

To be honest, I would LOVE to see some footage of Shitstorm live, but it doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

One thing I've always wanted them to play live was the "I want to see boobs" version of Far Beyond Metal, which I think they only did once -

[youtube]ViJvFL3f2SU[/youtube]

Find the first chorus, it's hilarious how he changes the lyrics.

Those are examples of two songs they've only done once (although Far Beyond Metal has been done pretty much every concert, they never do the "I want to see boobs" version, which is my favorite).
#263427 by Love of Socks
Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:38 pm
So far as HAARHT goes, "SYL" and "In the Rainy Season" were the ones to achieve regular set rotation later on. I've heard a recording of "Happy Camper" and was told there was some sort of on-stage routine for "Cod Metal King" at one point.
Also seem to recall that sales of the album in Japan were such that Dev threw a band together and did a few gigs over there.

With "Alien," i distinctly remember seeing the first four tracks performed. After that, I am reasonably certain about "Zen" and am really thinking that either "Shine" or "Possessions" came out at one point. Distinctly remember one gig of the US headlining tour having a version of "Rock you Like a Hurricane" by the Scorpions instead of FBM.

The album I am really thinking didn't see much live love was The New Black. Ozzfest allotted them something like 20 minutes to play and there weren't all that many gigs besides that. One of the Off-fest dates was a headliner in Portland, ME and I know "You Suck" saw the light of day and want to say "Antiproduct" was in there too. Also thinking that the title track came out to play. However, that was with someone besides Byron on bass so you could feasibly make an argument for it not being proper Lad.

Sorry my memory is so spotty. I never took any notes. That's not to bash the Lad at all. My first proper Metal show was them in '97. Then from '03 to '06 I saw them an additional 12+ times. Much of that was spent rocking out so hard I look back and understand the whole cane by age 30 thing.
#263780 by bassbait
Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:38 pm
Actually, The New Black was played at Download, with Polyphony and Wrong Side. So there's video evidence of them playing those three. The New Black saw as much attention as anything else. The ones that got the least coverage were Alien and HaaRHT.
#270383 by Drowd
Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm
The guy at the end of the Happy Camper video says it all :P