All I need is this city and this mind and I will get by...
#167176 by Matt Nevens
Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:48 am
Well i dunno bout the rest of you but i got the new verion of City this morning and i thought it was poor, the vocals have been brought FAR too high in the mix and the whole thing just doesnt sound as powerful because of it.
The guitars and bass are more clear but a lot of the background samples have been brought to the front of the mix which sounds a bit overthetop on headphones.

I really liked the new version of HAARHT, that sounded crisp, clear and BETTER but this new City seems like Century Media just trying to squeeze more cash out of SYL!

However, it was only a few quid from amazon and was worth the money just for the demo of AAA - please tell me Dev was absolutley cabbaged when he did the vocals - hilarious!!

Anyway... 8)
#167374 by black_tooth_grin
Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:25 pm
Matt08642 wrote:How does one know if they have an original City CD, or the remaster?

The remaster has "Centipede", a Japanese bonus track and also contains 5 demos from 1996 which are both funny and great to listen too.

I really enjoyed the re-master. Even though the original had no flaws in its entirety, its still good to get that extra crisp sound with everything nowadays by re-mastering the originals.
#167378 by sj_2150
Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 pm
i still need to pick it up :? ive been holding it off coz the original like Anwar said, is perfect anyway
#167394 by Biert
Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:12 am
The remaster has the 'new' typical Strapping writing at the front that debuted with the chicken feather record. The original one has this really narrow font.

Original:

Remaster:
#167532 by TallNerdGuy
Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 pm
I just now noticed this, and maybe its just me, but does the remastered cover have Photoshop's "plastic wrap" effect in the middle? That's kinda lame.
#167542 by Biert
Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:59 am
TallNerdGuy wrote:I just now noticed this, and maybe its just me, but does the remastered cover have Photoshop's "plastic wrap" effect in the middle? That's kinda lame.

No I think that's there in the original cover too. But the white bits have become a lot brighter and clearer, so that 'plastic wrap' is also more obvious.

And speaking of cheap re-designed covers, anyone remember the stamp tool on the HAARHT remaster? :|
#167578 by TallNerdGuy
Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:11 pm
Biert wrote:And speaking of cheap re-designed covers, anyone remember the stamp tool on the HAARHT remaster? :|

Never really had a good look at the original cover, but Google images has informed me of what you're talking about. I'm confused as to why they felt the need to remove the small bar from the original and replace it with that stamp tool nonesense.
#244747 by ctfod
Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 am
I've only heard the remastered version, so I have nothing to compare it to. Are there any of the original un-remastered (Mastered?) tracks floating about on YouTube or something?

EDIT: Shiiiieeeet, mega-bumpage