We have returned!
#160801 by Layer01
Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:07 pm
Hey everyone

Just got Alien a few days ago and i was listening to Skeksis (which blows me away) but i noticed that the lyrics in the booklet dont match up with the song :shock: the second time he starts to say "writing down my infinity" (after everything happens when no one's around) there seems to be a massive chunk of lyrics that are not actually sung. lots of OM's and "be careful with polynomial colours...there can never be an ansdwer" etc.. it just skips all that and goes back into the "control an awkward soul reprise.

anyone know why this is? and is there a version out there with all the lyrics? cause i'd love to hear it if it exists.

oh and this is my first post, so hello once again :D

#160809 by frequency-lsd
Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:55 am
Welcome :D

lots of Devin albums have lyrics in the booklet that are different from the lyrics in the songs, i dont know why maybe there last minute changes or just intentional.

#160811 by Turge
Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:34 am
My guess is that these lyrics are actually there, they're just very very very low in the mix. I don't have anything near the hearing or equipment to figure this out, but that's my guess. I guess we won't know for sure until Devin or Tracy tells us him/herself.

#160824 by Josiah Tobin
Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:34 am
Nah, it just goes right into the other lyrics, doesn't it? Plenty of Devin's songs have lyrics printed in the booklet that aren't in the song, or vice-versa (see City :P ).

~Josiah

#160841 by ghaleon0075
Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:10 pm
Josiah Tobin wrote:Nah, it just goes right into the other lyrics, doesn't it? Plenty of Devin's songs have lyrics printed in the booklet that aren't in the song, or vice-versa (see City :P ).

~Josiah
Yeah, pretty much. Mountain is a pretty good example as well (well, for the solo stuff).

#160880 by The Oid
Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:43 pm
I've heard that the reason for this, is that sometimes there are things he wanted to say with the song, but they wouldn't fit into the song very well.

#160915 by Layer01
Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:17 am
The Oid wrote:I've heard that the reason for this, is that sometimes there are things he wanted to say with the song, but they wouldn't fit into the song very well.

ooh thats an interesting idea :) i like that.

I really love this song, The two minutes of metal that it starts with is still hard for me to get through (i'm not metal through and through yet lol) but the stuff about colours leading to numbers leading to sounds leading to forms, leading to war leading to sex..leads to all god vibrations....
sends shivers down my spine :D

its like the awesomeness of the "imagining the tenth dimension" book in wicked metal form, in fact i wonder if devin has read that book. If not, he should, i'm sure he'd like it 8)

#160978 by Kivenkantaja
Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:29 am
The Oid wrote:I've heard that the reason for this, is that sometimes there are things he wanted to say with the song, but they wouldn't fit into the song very well.
Read the lyrics of Velvet Kevorkian :D

#161857 by Liquid
Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:32 pm
I can't remember all of what those missing lyrics were, but the "Om"s were definitely in there. Especially noticeable after the "WRITING FOR ALL ETERNITY" part there, when the drums do that crazy fill. Devy screams a couple of OM thingies in there. The rest I just assumed were buried under those millions of layers of metal and xylophones.

#162029 by tombaldmosher
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 am
It's been a while since I transcribed SYL lyrics... I used to put em all up on DevyWorld but that's now gone... I do however have all the files still!

Find it interesting to sit down with a fat j and try to work it out. Haven't done it since Infinity though. Don't have the time any more and I've pretty much quit w!
#230078 by Fira
Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:53 pm
Layer01 wrote:Hey everyone

Just got Alien a few days ago and i was listening to Skeksis (which blows me away) but i noticed that the lyrics in the booklet dont match up with the song :shock: the second time he starts to say "writing down my infinity" (after everything happens when no one's around) there seems to be a massive chunk of lyrics that are not actually sung. lots of OM's and "be careful with polynomial colours...there can never be an ansdwer" etc.. it just skips all that and goes back into the "control an awkward soul reprise.

anyone know why this is? and is there a version out there with all the lyrics? cause i'd love to hear it if it exists.

i remember noticing a similar thing on city and the booklet for city when i first got it back in the day.

i think oh my fucing god seemed to have the wrong lyrics in teh booklet. it could have been another song though, i cant check because its not here with me.
#262725 by bassbait
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:46 pm
Layer01 wrote:Hey everyone

Listen to it again, he's actually singing both of those parts AT THE SAME TIME. When he says "writing down", you first here "eliminate" start to be sung. Listen to the layers of vocals and try to separate them. When he says those things, it's in the background. Also, when he sings the first "writing down my infinity" he says in the background "paranoia paranoia paranoia", and I think he actually also says "are we there yet?" over and over again as well. Trust me, I study this album daily, and I've started to pick up on the layers of things being said, and most of the lyrics are intact. In fact, he adds more lyrics than he does take away. The only lyric I have difficulty finding in the songs is "Connect now and emerge" from Zen.

Look, I'll open up the youtube video and pinpoint the moment he starts that part -

Start at 5:05, and you'll start to hear him say "eliminate" You will also here "I'm right here forward" when the "infinity" part ends, with the crazy fill. When he starts saying "writing for all eternity", you'll hear in the background "Incriminate, fall down, hide soft; inner terminated."

The most obvious words to hear in the background are "OM", "I'm right here forward", "eliminate", "incriminate", and "fall down".

[youtube]ORZlhNWTuK4[/youtube]