Hell yeah, you fucking suck!
#188652 by chip8088
Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:55 am
I can't believe the album is so unpopular with SYL fans. This was one of my favorite albums. I noticed how different it was but all of SYLs stuff was different. Heavy as a really heavy thing was vastly different from City, and then the chicken feather came out and brought more of a death metal style to the table. Then around Alien Dev went completely insane (in the best way) and just added everything he could. To be honest though, I didn't like Alien at the first listen. It was too hectic for my tastes at first, and it took another listen or two before i could fully appreciate it. TNB however i listened to all the way through easily. It was in my opinion one of his best produced and most melodic album, and at the same time it had alot of technical guitar work and some very catchy hooks. All in all i didn't really find anything wrong with the album. Sure, it wasn't City, but you can't expect a band to top thier crowning achievement that easily.
#230583 by Ravonite
Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:34 pm
I know I'm hitting an old thread but I'm just so confused about what some people are saying about The New Black.

The thing thats bothering me is I've seen some people say "it doesn't feel like an SYL album" or "it's not SYL". I think saying that is something quite insulting to be honest. Saying something like that makes it sound like Strapping are predictable. Which, I do not find them to be. It seems like after Alien some people were expecting the next one to be similar, and got disappointed when it wasn't. I'm frankly quite happy, no album deserves a sound-a-like sequel. It just seems unfair to bash an album because it's different. Especially since, believe it or not, EVERY SYL ALBUM WAS DIFFERENT! It never became formulaic and for that I think that proved that SYL never became a parody. I personally like every SYL album (although being honesy Haarht is the weakest of the 5 in my opinion as theres only 2 songs I personally like), and would rate TNB very highly for being different than what I expected.

Obviously this is a very small amount of people but it just seems direspectful to Dev and the rest of SYL by saying the album didn't feel like SYL and such. Also, I like "Fucker".