Face your chaos, know who you are!
#205847 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 am
^^ Ki's a little too intense to try and nap to, for me :wink:
I was just listening to Heavens End a second ago, which I hadn't heard in a week or two (jeez, Catlin... you're slacking) and I was just thinking about how cool the brass sounds in the chorus.

Not so much a brass fan (whether they're real or synthesized), but the dirty, nasty, bassy horn sounds fit perfectly in the song. They add a lot of girth and grit to an unsettling chorus as it is. Did Devin say anything about this? Perhaps I missed something.
#205853 by grrrv
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:50 am
Devy, spelled Devy! wrote:I was just listening to Heavens End a second ago, which I hadn't heard in a week or two (jeez, Catlin... you're slacking) and I was just thinking about how cool the brass sounds in the chorus.

Not so much a brass fan (whether they're real or synthesized), but the dirty, nasty, bassy horn sounds fit perfectly in the song. They add a lot of girth and grit to an unsettling chorus as it is. Did Devin say anything about this? Perhaps I missed something.

Heh, coincidentally yesterday was the first time I really paid attention to those brass parts, and I agree they work very well. I came to the conclusion they're most likely synthesised/sampled.
#205863 by djskrimp
Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:17 am
Abydost wrote:I usually fall asleep listening to SYL or Gojira. It soothes me.

I used to have to listen to "Master of Puppets" or somesuch to go to sleep when I was a teenager. It's familiar, it has a beat and it kept my tinnitus from driving me nuts.
#205898 by daneulephus
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 am

Isn't that weird? My fave cd to fall asleep to used to be Xasthur's Subliminal Genocide.
#205900 by GuyOne
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:19 am
daneulephus wrote:

Isn't that weird? My fave cd to fall asleep to used to be Xasthur's Subliminal Genocide.

I agree about Xasthur. It seems the best way to really enjoy the most recent albums is to turn off the lights and put on an album and snuggle up in bed on your back. It really adds to the atmosphere. I sometimes do this and listen to All Reflections Drained with headphones. :zzzz:
#205911 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:34 am
grrrv wrote:
Devy, spelled Devy! wrote:I was just listening to Heavens End a second ago, which I hadn't heard in a week or two (jeez, Catlin... you're slacking) and I was just thinking about how cool the brass sounds in the chorus.

Heh, coincidentally yesterday was the first time I really paid attention to those brass parts, and I agree they work very well. I came to the conclusion they're most likely synthesised/sampled.

Yeah, I was thinking they were sampled or something - just because it would be a lot of work finding, and hiring, and recording people to play the part. And I couldn't find credits or anything mentioned about it specifically in the liner notes - but the text is very small :lol: so maybe I missed something.

In any case, it's a really nice touch, adds to the whole sinister vibe of the song. And I never would never have thought to pair brass and Devin Townsend, so it was a cool move on his part.
#206000 by hairbearbunch
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:57 pm
The relevance of brass in Heavens End? Heavens trumpets, get it? BIG METAPHOR!!!, Some deep science man. Follow the links in the 'black hole' post.
Maybe I'm just lookin too deep.
#206330 by Dandamage
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:56 am
I just grew into Ki and its messages wont leave me alone. Devin is in an awesome place in his life. I hope I can find peace like this one day.
#206392 by The Dev
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:04 pm
Hey all, I've had a really really really (really) intense couple of weeks...making some big decisions in my world over the next month.

I listened to Ki alot.

I will have it all figured and planned within the month.

Life is too short to be an obsessive workaholic.

I want to enjoy life and play music that people love, I want to play live, but not metal.

To do metal the way people want, I need to do drugs...I won't do drugs though. Sorry.

I have, however found a style that suits me and I will be pursuing it.

I've been playing lots of guitar, and it is quiet and clean. Is it 'brilliant'...I don't think so, but people like it when I play it.

The end of Ki almost implies 'whats going to happen next?' and actually...the answer has surprised me...it's different than I expected.

Again, I need three weeks to figure it out...I'll be with you soon...I'm not good at expressing myself during times of emotional upheaval.

I'm going to sell a telecaster with 81s in it...qulited maple with an infinity on the 12th fret and my name on the headstock. It's got some scars, as it toured for quite some time. Built for me with affection from the Japanese branch in 97, during Infinity...I'm changing and clearing my past away a bit at a time, (gear wise)

Writing lots of words.

Pics soon...website is ready, and waiting for me to write an intro page, and it's taking me forever...going to try to do it today.

Dev
#206393 by Abydost
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 pm
The Dev wrote:I'm going to sell a telecaster with 81s in it...qulited maple with an infinity on the 12th fret and my name on the headstock. It's got some scars, as it toured for quite some time. Built for me with affection from the Japanese branch in 97, during Infinity...I'm changing and clearing my past away a bit at a time, (gear wise)

You're not talking about the infamous white tele are you? If it is... I reckon it could go for a LOT of money.
#206394 by Phase
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:32 pm
Abydost wrote:
The Dev wrote:I'm going to sell a telecaster with 81s in it...qulited maple with an infinity on the 12th fret and my name on the headstock. It's got some scars, as it toured for quite some time. Built for me with affection from the Japanese branch in 97, during Infinity...I'm changing and clearing my past away a bit at a time, (gear wise)

You're not talking about the infamous white tele are you? If it is... I reckon it could go for a LOT of money.

Alot of money that I don't have. ;-;

Although, I would like to say, I thought Ki was pretty metal. It had the intensity and grouchyness (I know, an unsual description, but I always thought of metal as an angry old man.) to it that metal needs, but just approached from a different angle.
#206395 by Jaymz
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 pm
The Dev wrote:Hey all, I've had a really really really (really) intense couple of weeks...making some big decisions in my world over the next month.

I listened to Ki alot.

I will have it all figured and planned within the month.

Life is too short to be an obsessive workaholic.

I want to enjoy life and play music that people love, I want to play live, but not metal.

To do metal the way people want, I need to do drugs...I won't do drugs though. Sorry.

I have, however found a style that suits me and I will be pursuing it.

I've been playing lots of guitar, and it is quiet and clean. Is it 'brilliant'...I don't think so, but people like it when I play it.

The end of Ki almost implies 'whats going to happen next?' and actually...the answer has surprised me...it's different than I expected.

Again, I need three weeks to figure it out...I'll be with you soon...I'm not good at expressing myself during times of emotional upheaval.

I'm going to sell a telecaster with 81s in it...qulited maple with an infinity on the 12th fret and my name on the headstock. It's got some scars, as it toured for quite some time. Built for me with affection from the Japanese branch in 97, during Infinity...I'm changing and clearing my past away a bit at a time, (gear wise)

Writing lots of words.

Pics soon...website is ready, and waiting for me to write an intro page, and it's taking me forever...going to try to do it today.

Dev

I'll happily give you either of my legs for that Tele my man, or a kidney. You can never have too many kidneys. Good to hear from you again.
#206396 by Ravonite
Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:05 pm
That is great new Dev, wish I could afford the Tele only have about £50 though...

but, I was wondering about this part

The Dev wrote:I want to enjoy life and play music that people love, I want to play live, but not metal.

I was wondering if that meant you'd only be playing Ki live? From what I've heard from the samples of "Addicted" it's pretty metal, but at the same time sounds like it may be the best record I may hear (IMO) but I would love to hear (some of maybe?) it live. (and maybe some songs from OM but not likely..).

I'm not saying I hate Ki though, I love it! I'd love to hear all of it live, especially Disruptr and Heaven Send (end? send?), I bet that would be very atmospheric!