Face your chaos, know who you are!
#198518 by UncleCthulhu
Tue May 19, 2009 4:08 pm
rgx612a wrote:I love the reverb on Ki... i wonder if there`s an affordable guitar pedal out there that can approximate that sound. :?:

To get the sheer amount of delay and reverb with just pedals you'd have to stack a load of them all together but it wouldn't sound very nice at all lol

I can get a huge amount of reverb screwing around with Ableton and Guitar Rig but getting it to sound nice is an absolute nightmare, it would help if I got myself a better guitar... heck it would help if I changed the strings more often than I have been recently.
#198562 by daneulephus
Tue May 19, 2009 10:19 pm
The Dev wrote:Anything works if you compensate for their eq peculiarities...(3-5 k in adats etc)

In PT8, about 2 years ago I took out a loan for an hd rig that solved the 'recording with fx' dillema...unfortunately, you can't track with fx in l.e if you are using low latency monitoring (sucks) if you can deal with a bit of latency though, set your playback engine to the lowest it will work without seizing (256?) and then you can track with fx.

I find I can get away with that for tracking bass and some sound fx, guitar and vox are a bit rough though...

You could get an hd rig, but you'd be paying 700 a month for the next 3 years :/

Yea, we found out we can't do shit without low latency on. And....I don't even have a car yet let alone trying to get an hd rig haha....thats what addiction gets you: Debt, dereliction and despair lol.

One reason I like to use Sonar at home is because it is so damn user friendly. With protools....or at least le....editing is so taxing and inconvenient. You have to use that dumb blending thing to splice two takes, but in Sonar you just record them on the same track and they automatically blend. Maybe we are doing something wrong? I dunno. Like you said awhile ago....different strokes.

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Dan
#198564 by The Dev
Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 pm
In PT, to merge the pieces, (if I get you) the process is called 'crossfade', and you can do all your edits as fast as you want, then select everything you've cut and hit apple f, a prompt will come up, and you can do it all in about 30 seconds. If fact, although I've never used Sonar, PT levels every other program (in my opinion) for the speed of editing. I currently run Cubase, Logic, Ableton, and Melodyne...they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but PT8 is the king for editing as far as I'm concerned. Digidesign has some cool instructional vids on their site, and if you can get past the fact that the dude who teaches sounds like Elmer Fudd
(...pwo toowls 8, vewy powerfuwl) it's pretty informative.
#198566 by daneulephus
Tue May 19, 2009 10:36 pm
The Dev wrote:In PT, to merge the pieces, (if I get you) the process is called 'crossfade', and you can do all your edits as fast as you want, then select everything you've cut and hit apple f, a prompt will come up, and you can do it all in about 30 seconds. If fact, although I've never used Sonar, PT levels every other program (in my opinion) for the speed of editing. I currently run Cubase, Logic, Ableton, and Melodyne...they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but PT8 is the king for editing as far as I'm concerned. Digidesign has some cool instructional vids on their site, and if you can get past the fact that the dude who teaches sounds like Elmer Fudd

LOL ok I will check it out hahaha......thanks man.
#198567 by The Dev
Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 pm
...ok, that was cruel, but DAMN, it's AUDIO...I LISTEN for a living...it's an AUDIO company...sometimes I don't watch the vids because I focus on the dudes voice.

Sorry chap...
#198572 by daneulephus
Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 pm
The Dev wrote:In PT, to merge the pieces, (if I get you) the process is called 'crossfade', and you can do all your edits as fast as you want, then select everything you've cut and hit apple f, a prompt will come up, and you can do it all in about 30 seconds. If fact, although I've never used Sonar, PT levels every other program (in my opinion) for the speed of editing. I currently run Cubase, Logic, Ableton, and Melodyne...they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but PT8 is the king for editing as far as I'm concerned. Digidesign has some cool instructional vids on their site, and if you can get past the fact that the dude who teaches sounds like Elmer Fudd

Oh, I almost forgot.....at the end of Coast....are those elec. drums from DFH? Or Reason or something? I wanna get into using some of those sounds, and could use some advice. I also like the way Centipede sounds, with the blips and such.

Danhttp://www.myspace.com/1omegaproject
#198573 by The Dev
Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 pm
Logic Studio and Ableton 7...

Centipede was an Atari St and a Korg O3R
#198602 by BrunoN
Wed May 20, 2009 4:51 am
The Dev wrote:Logic Studio and Ableton 7...

Centipede was an Atari St and a Korg O3R

Wow, that's marvelously vintage. Were there more tracks with bits sequenced on Atari?
#198894 by mEh!
Fri May 22, 2009 3:00 am
rgx612a wrote:
mEh! wrote:Hi Dev,
Im just wondering why you stay away from Ibanez guitars. I have never seen you with them, either on stage or in your instructional videos.
Its a question that have bugged me for a long time now and i don't know why so i had to ask. Sorry.. :|
cheers!

Why didn`t Jimi Hendrix play a gibson LP. :?:

http://inat.org/Images/Les.jpeg
But i get what you mean. :wink: Its just that Ibanez guitars are similar to ESP guitars in some ways and they sound great in EMG 81:s. Whatever man, it don't really make sence, i'm just curious.
cheers :)
#198951 by Nevaeh
Fri May 22, 2009 3:52 pm
I personally think Ibanez are great. I've rarely come across one that has played bad (bar the gio series) BUT, in purely my own opinion, I find them a bit bland and its a given nowadays that someone who plays extreme music tends to use one. Every other band has a player with an RG or a Sabre. I have never played a bad ESP in my life. From an LTD MH-50 to a custom shop Potbelly, they all have this fascinating feel to me. It blends a super fast buttery neck with just the right weight distribution. I've only found that on a few makes - Caparison, ESP and a Mayones i was lucky enough to try out. I guess though, it all boils down to preference. I actually find Gibson to be obscenely overpriced and their QC is absolutely awful. I used to work in a shop and the majority of headstock breaks were Gibsons. Even the Epiphones were sturdier!

I think Devin's new Peavey looks great. I've always liked the Raptor series. Its great that hes going for a company that isn't so well known for its guitars, and has had a fantastic experience of it. I was always surprised that ESP weren't rushing to give him a signature, when they're happy to give one to bands like Atreyu and Ill Nino. Ick.

I'd be curious to know if he's considering what pickup choice for the heavier albums? And if he's considering a bass guitar from them too!
#198965 by UncleCthulhu
Fri May 22, 2009 5:11 pm
I think Dev's still been using his ESPs with the EMGs in them for the heavier stuff so far and I imagine definately so for Deconstruction.
#199002 by The Dev
Sat May 23, 2009 3:38 am
I was always surprised that ESP weren't rushing to give him a signature, when they're happy to give one to bands like Atreyu and Ill Nino. Ick.

Yeah, that was the fucking kicker...15 years with them and no sig. It sucked. Oh well, they seem to think those bands were awesome, so who am I to argue? ...I would have done it in a heartbeat though.
#199004 by flood_of_rain
Sat May 23, 2009 3:56 am
i always wondered that myself, actually. i guess for a lot of gear companies though. they only seem to do sigs for mass market bands, even if the dude they base the guitar off, can barely play anything more than a damn power chord. your peavy guitar looks great though, Dev. if these puppies will be released to the public then i would surely love to buy one. they sounded great on Ki, definitely a different kind of sound with them!
#199008 by Guitarzan
Sat May 23, 2009 4:12 am
A lot of Ki sounds like the strats to me...but the Peavey is pretty interesting. I think it'd look beautiful in green tho...or white. I neither love nor hate the grey...s'ok.

As far as ESP...I'd be willing to bet that if SYL continued after TNB and got more commercially successful that some sigs would've been in order. I think they never really saw the "marketing potential" they wanted...even though the axes would've practically sold themselves. Who wouldn't be interested in the EMG Tele or the badass 7 string? I mean, you don't have to love Dev to love those axes. Not to mention Jedly's beastly white V, or that flame one with a floyd he had on TNB.
#199021 by The Dev
Sat May 23, 2009 9:04 am
No I know, it made sense...it just started to frustrate me that they chose that path.

I guess I was just jealous, sales over music (again) it shouldn't frustrate me by now, but I guess I couldn't help it.

(slumps over, kicks dirt and pouts)