Face your chaos, know who you are!
#199025 by hakmed
Sat May 23, 2009 9:12 am
steve's music once gave me a free guitar back in the day.. that was about it for the free gear dealings.. a black ibanez woooooo
#199026 by daneulephus
Sat May 23, 2009 9:15 am
The Dev wrote:No I know, it made sense...it just started to frustrate me that they chose that path.

I guess I was just jealous, sales over music (again) it shouldn't frustrate me by now, but I guess I couldn't help it.

(slumps over, kicks dirt and pouts)

So, speaking of the peavey's.......how much of Ki was actually recorded with them? any parts or songs in particular?

Dan
#199027 by Reion
Sat May 23, 2009 9:17 am
The Dev wrote:No I know, it made sense...it just started to frustrate me that they chose that path.

I guess I was just jealous, sales over music (again) it shouldn't frustrate me by now, but I guess I couldn't help it.

There there *pats back*

It's a pity though, sales over music is a sad but true thing of today, sometimes it scares me so much that I almost see no point in recording music..

But then I just shrug and mutter some profanities and do it for whom it matters to; myself :P
#199030 by Guitarzan
Sat May 23, 2009 9:32 am

Jealousy is a very human thing, I don't think many could say that if they were put in that situation it wouldn't frustrate them. It certainly would frustrate me, that was some pretty solid brand loyalty for the better part of your career thus far.

Better late than never, eh? Hopefully, anyway.

Did you ever say what pickups are in your Peavey? Is your plan to still do 2 guitars, the strat-style and the 7 string rhoads, or are you sticking with just the strat for now?

You might be a NERD, but you're in good company, sir.
#199038 by UncleCthulhu
Sat May 23, 2009 10:33 am

Yeah, don't forget that at the end of the day ESP is a business first and a congolmerate of guitar luthiers second. So just think to yourself "everytime they peed me off by giving somebody else a signature guitar, the fatcats at ESP could buy themselves a new Porsche", doesn't that make you feel better? :wink:
#199048 by Hrellir
Sat May 23, 2009 11:37 am
I've never understood why ESP didn't have a DT sig, I mean they have a lot of artists that deserve their sigs, but they also have a bunch that don't. Even though I've liked the SRC sigs as guitars I've never really liked them as... well, Dev should've had his own, not play Deftones sigs.

I am interested if that pickup configuration is something you prefer Dev, instead of a more traditional neck / bridge humbucker set up?

I would kill for an Infinity tele with the logo, I've loved his ESP Explorer and the black Horizon is pure sex.... not too keen on the cockstock on it though. And Jed's koa Explorer.... OMG!!!

Do you have any more info on your Peavey guitars? I've played Peavey V-Type's and they were very nice guitars, so I'm looking forward to seeing your stuff.
#199068 by Nevaeh
Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm
We all know the biggest selling ESP/LTD Sig lines are the Laiho's, KH series and the Stef 7's.

Well you talk about ESP only being a business and only endorsing those who seem to give the most chance for profit - what about Page Hamilton's sig?

Tbh all it is - is an "old-skewl" Horizon with a slanted neck pickup. If you asked most kids who Helmet were, they would probably crack a dirty joke before spluttering "so....who are they?".

Same goes for Sambora, Kelly Hayes (anyone remember those? they were satin with a big spider graphic and inlays, they were pretty sexy!) and Ron Wood. In fact the Ron Wood sig, considering he's in The Rolling Stones, ive heard has consistently had some of the lowest sales of all the long running signatures.

It's not always about profits, and they seem to consider loyalty somewhat - and id say Dev's been playing ESP for god knows how long.

They baffle me, and they most be aware that Devy has a very concentrated fanbase - more than willing to give a Dev-Endorsed ESP a shot. I'd say a fair portion of people from Vai fans to the SYL kids are at least aware of his name and playing. Theyre not idiots at ESP. Besides, its not the name that sells guitars to many, its the looks. I've never liked Tele's, yet I always looked at the white EMG-Loaded one and thought "wow, thats actually quite a nice guitar". Besides, the satin black horizon-7 with the "cockstock" was gorgeous. Ah well, their loss!

Have you got your hands on a Caparison yet Dev? Alot of ESP fans seem to be tainted by them. Itaru Kanno also seems to be very welcoming and gracious to established names in Extreme and Progressive Metal. I have played one myself, and know a fair few that have, and reviews are beaming. Might be worth crashing NAMM sometime soon, if just for the interesting neck profile. Id suggest them to any Ibanez/ESP/Jackson player, if just for the experience.
#199164 by robvondoom
Sun May 24, 2009 7:46 am

Dude, I play guitar like I got three thumbs on my left hand and some kind of awful bone marrow wasting disease and even I know I could do better than the - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, BREAK!!!!, chorus, end of song - bullshit that the popular (read that as "marketed to Fuck") bands come out with. If I had a fraction of the talent you do I think I might bite a chunk out the kitchen table in frustration at the way you and other real musicians get treated.

On the upside though at least you'll never record an album and have your bosses tell you to piss off home and make some "better" and more "accessible" shit to please the hapless masses. Look what happened to Amy Winehouse. She goes to the Caribbean. Get's into reggae while going through some fucked up shit and then wrote an album that expressed that. She took it to Warner or whatever the hell label she's with and they told her to fuck off and record something else.

These guys and girls, if they are truly creative, are suffering a lot for those sales. And as I've said before, in the 90s New Kids on the Block owned the world. Now they're dancing on cruise ships. One of the guys who works for me was able to organise them to play his college. I shit you not. So it aint all good on top of the Billboard.

Slow and steady wins the race my friend. Your time will come.
#199214 by hairbearbunch
Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 pm
This kinda reminds me of the comedy routine of Louis CK in the comedians thread about how rich Bill Gates is. Let's say you had so much money you could own all the major record labels and pretty much have control on the music that the masses are gonna be subjected to. In a way you'd be controlling culture, (especially if you also owned the t.v. and printed media companies). All I can say right now is.... thank God for people like Devin Townsend.
#199217 by Nevaeh
Sun May 24, 2009 2:21 pm
I have hope that one day that all success will be measured upon the cultural, social and technological value of the work itself than the amount of pieces of paper and alloy coins its 'worth'.

On that note i bought an Ocean Machine teeshirt last night. Long overdue.
#199228 by The Oid
Sun May 24, 2009 6:09 pm
Nevaeh wrote:I have hope that one day that all success will be measured upon the cultural, social and technological value of the work itself than the amount of pieces of paper and alloy coins its 'worth'.

On that note i bought an Ocean Machine teeshirt last night. Long overdue.

I dunno, I think people that really appreciate music already judge albums on their artistic merit, as opposed to how well they sold.

I think it's the kind of people that would describe music as "just the background to their life" that would be more likely to care about commercial success.
#199405 by Ronixis
Tue May 26, 2009 3:37 am
I'd like to ask a few questions from Devin about the vocals on Ki and every other record you've made for that matter. Do you record the agressive vocals separate from the clean singing parts? Do you adjust the preamp levels differently when varying singing techniques or do you just change your position from the mic? Or is it really possible to sing clean stuff with the same volume level as you sing the heavy stuff.

Thank you!
#199420 by Guitarzan
Tue May 26, 2009 6:37 am
I believe the strat he was using most on this record, and the strat you're referring to, is an Eric Johnson sig.
#209856 by HDFJedi
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:56 pm
Hi Dev: I just joined the forum. I have been so inspired by your music talent over the years. The production, songwriting/arrangements are truly stellar. I appreciate you sharing all your gear and production knowledge and communicate this on the forum. That is so cool. I was floored to read that you used ADATs for OM, Infinity, etc. On 'Ki', did you use the Chandler mic-pre for guitars? What mic? Did you check out Logic 9 yet? Thanks!!
-james

My Music
MySpace