Phase wrote:
The Dev wrote:wet...yuck.

I'm filming it all...

Filming your wet poo?

HA! :D
#183160 by kekle3
Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:27 pm
The Dev wrote:hanging with my cat....

What the fuck! That look like my old cat "Mis"!

She "dissapered" to never come back... So..

Hand her back you thief ddevin!

:P
#183163 by Deathcom7000
Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:11 pm
I know this is a pretty late post Dev, but you have no idea how happy it makes me that you also love Arrested Development :) Im stoked for the movie to come out
#184979 by Tyroshai
Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:31 pm
rgx612a wrote:
The Dev wrote:
Just waking up... I have to poo.

gotta take a Nickelback, hey... :mrgreen:

...Nipplecrack?
*wise nod*
#198370 by daneulephus
Mon May 18, 2009 6:49 pm
Dev, I saw earlier in the thread that you posted all the gear used...and I am esp. curious about the vocal production. I see the mics you used, but what did you use for some of those vocal effects? Was it stock protools plug-ins, or outboard gear? And that keely compressor, was that for guitar or vox?

Thank you,

Dan
#198379 by The Dev
Mon May 18, 2009 10:19 pm
For vox I use a Universal Audio 6176 (killer!) and some different mics, usually a SM7 or an AKG 414

d
#198381 by daneulephus
Mon May 18, 2009 10:44 pm
The Dev wrote:For vox I use a Universal Audio 6176 (killer!) and some different mics, usually a SM7 or an AKG 414

d

So....ok, I guess that means the effects are all post? I am mostly curious about songs like "Terminal"...the reverbs an such. The actual performance of the vocal sounds like it was enhanced by effects while recording. I know when I record a vocalist, or do it myself...a good processor like a lexicon or eventide always helps the performance immensely. Certain "breathy" vocal parts can't be achieved without it, it seems. Just curious....
Thank you for the compressor info. Wish I had the $$$ for a UA.

Dan
#198394 by The Dev
Tue May 19, 2009 12:51 am
I have 2 pre's, the UA and a stereo Chandler and thats everything. I just multitask them.

For verbs and echos and such, I automate tons of things, there can be 2 ekos and a verb bus on everything, automated and panned to hell...the fx are basically trial and error.

I use plug ins for all of that...the waves convo verb and the digirack delays. Sometimes I'll use a tape delay sim, but I can get similar effects from the protools delay using the hp and lp filters.

Having some sort of control surface to automate levels and panning helps too, I did it for years without though...
#198421 by The Dev
Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 am
sure...

in fact, Terria was primarily done on a roland 1680, with a tc electronics m-one and a digitech 256xl as outboard...

Infinity, Ocean Machine and City were all Adat (shudder)

use what you've got, right?
#198428 by daneulephus
Tue May 19, 2009 8:03 am
The Dev wrote:sure...

in fact, Terria was primarily done on a roland 1680, with a tc electronics m-one and a digitech 256xl as outboard...

Infinity, Ocean Machine and City were all Adat (shudder)

use what you've got, right?

It still boggles my mind that adats make you shudder lol. I mean, I know they are an absolute nightmare to work with as far as editing and rwd/ffwd and that.....but to these ears anyway....the sound is still special.

And, I am having a really hard time believing you about Terria....haha. Man! That album is huge! I guess its all in the ear right? I have a hard time convincing people all I have is a 14 channel mackie, m audio 1010 soundcard....and sonar 8.

One more thing if you wouldn't mind.....are you able to use the protools plug-ins simultaneously while recording? I use a buddie's protools 8 le rig sometimes, and we can't figure out how to do that. It would be nice, cuz we have no outboard gear whatsoever.

Thanks again...you are a champ.

Dan
#198470 by The Dev
Tue May 19, 2009 11:11 am
Anything works if you compensate for their eq peculiarities...(3-5 k in adats etc)

In PT8, about 2 years ago I took out a loan for an hd rig that solved the 'recording with fx' dillema...unfortunately, you can't track with fx in l.e if you are using low latency monitoring (sucks) if you can deal with a bit of latency though, set your playback engine to the lowest it will work without seizing (256?) and then you can track with fx.

I find I can get away with that for tracking bass and some sound fx, guitar and vox are a bit rough though...

You could get an hd rig, but you'd be paying 700 a month for the next 3 years :/
#198492 by mEh!
Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 pm
Hi Dev,
Im just wondering why you stay away from Ibanez guitars. I have never seen you with them, either on stage or in your instructional videos.
Its a question that have bugged me for a long time now and i don't know why so i had to ask. Sorry.. :|
cheers!
#198507 by rgx612a
Tue May 19, 2009 3:50 pm
mEh! wrote:Hi Dev,
Im just wondering why you stay away from Ibanez guitars. I have never seen you with them, either on stage or in your instructional videos.
Its a question that have bugged me for a long time now and i don't know why so i had to ask. Sorry.. :|
cheers!

Why didn`t Jimi Hendrix play a gibson LP. :?:
#198511 by rgx612a
Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm
I love the reverb on Ki... i wonder if there`s an affordable guitar pedal out there that can approximate that sound. :?: