Face your chaos, know who you are!
#228222 by Deathcom7000
Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:46 pm
I'm gonna have to say I like Ki the most so far, but I really have some high hopes for the fourth album. That sounds like it's going to be veeeery mellow, which is great because sometimes I'll listen to Ki and Heaven's End will just be too overwhelming
#228239 by daneulephus
Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 pm
The Dev wrote:Each record is made for different people. As much as someone may prefer one over the other, to me...they're equal. and I wouldn't put it out if I thought it was shit. Some people won't see the value in one record over another for reasons of personal preference or personal views on what defines quality. But I think there's at least 4 or 5 'Devs' swimming around in the ol' noggin, and each demand a different soundtrack.

I feel Addicted in a very profound way. It's abrasive, and blunt, but it brings up an emotion in me that I have not experienced from any of my past releases. It was total release, and as a result of where it came in my musical development, it couldn't have sounded any different. I understand some people don't hear the same thing, or don't enjoy the energy or style, totally acceptable. But Addicted defines a sentiment for me that is a proclamation. I listen to it often, it means a HUGE amount to me and I'm quite proud of the production. When I'm in the right mood for it, I feel a strange sense of euphoria.

Ki will always be my personal 'favorite' though. Because it is. And also, because it suits quieter moments which I need more often lately.


Agreed. When I first heard Ki, it generated a feeling in me I hadn't yet felt from your music. I can't define it, or even identify it really. It especially hit me when I heard Terminal the next day...I know you said Ki was a grower, but I disagree. It had me at "The way..."

However, Addicted generates a euphoria (for me) that is TOTALLY nostalgic...feelings I haven't felt in years. I have had so many wonderful and tragic experiences with your past catalog, it was really emotionally taxing getting through the first few listens. Now, it just frickin' kicks ass...and sounds great really, really loud. The feelings now are a bit more like watching an old favorite movie, or seeing an old friend. :)
#228283 by Fjar
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 pm
So far in this four-part project I feel like Ki is more 'me'. But who knows. The fourth one sounds like it could be even more 'me', but I tend to relate to the conflicts in Ki, and I don't know if that'll be a big part of the fourth album.
#228319 by the_s_rabbit
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:09 am
Deathcom7000 wrote:I'm gonna have to say I like Ki the most so far, but I really have some high hopes for the fourth album. That sounds like it's going to be veeeery mellow, which is great because sometimes I'll listen to Ki and Heaven's End will just be too overwhelming


I really like that song and Gato a lot. But they do a seem a little out of place, and they "disrupt" the overall mood a bit. They are great songs, so they had to be released, and maybe Ki was just the closest fit for them. Also, I think Dev was worried that if he didn't put something heavy on it, that no one would buy it.

I'll admit I was taken aback at first, but it grew on me, very quickly. It is a fantastic album and truly reinforces Dev's honest approach to songwriting.
#228336 by The Dev
Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:56 am
Deconstruction will freak out people who have made assumptions based on Addicted. It will be confusing.

Ghost doesn't even really count, it's like a different person. Your old neighbor may like it.
#229006 by pinealgland
Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 am
The Dev wrote:Deconstruction will freak out people who have made assumptions based on Addicted. It will be confusing.

Ghost doesn't even really count, it's like a different person. Your old neighbor may like it.



All this hype aboot decon has made me anticipate Ghosts the most. And thank ye Dev for considering Finland offer on the musical thingie. We are waiting for you here

on topic: KI is the album of this year.
#229360 by Wander
Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:09 pm
pinealgland wrote:on topic: KI is the album of this year.


For me as well.
#230473 by Ragen
Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:21 pm
Listening to Ki for the first time since I bought Addicted. MAN I didn't know how great Ki was until I stopped trying to like it and fell for Addicted instead.
#230490 by daneulephus
Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:45 pm
Ragen wrote:Listening to Ki for the first time since I bought Addicted. MAN I didn't know how great Ki was until I stopped trying to like it and fell for Addicted instead.


Perspective is everything, eh?
#231400 by Fjar
Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 pm
The thread in the Addicted forum about 'fond memories' associated with that album.. does anyone else find they've attached fond memories to this album instead? I certainly have. Hmm.
#231426 by daneulephus
Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 am
Fjar wrote:The thread in the Addicted forum about 'fond memories' associated with that album.. does anyone else find they've attached fond memories to this album instead? I certainly have. Hmm.


Yes.
#231649 by mrbean667
Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:47 pm
Ki came at the right time in my life, I was going through a deep depression and school was crap at that time. Ki was one of the first albums which had such a connection to how I was feeling.
Like Dev, I have sort of lost my love of heavy music outside SYL, and need quiet music more often.
Ghost is going to rock.
#231725 by Fjar
Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:24 pm
Just realised something that bugs me about 'Gato' - the female vocals. There's not enough power in it to fit with the rest of the chorus (if that's the name for it). I've got my own interpretations of that song, and it feels out of place, and shatters the visuals I get from it. But hey, what do I know?
#231731 by Ragen
Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Fjar wrote:The thread in the Addicted forum about 'fond memories' associated with that album.. does anyone else find they've attached fond memories to this album instead? I certainly have. Hmm.


My Dad singing along (terribly) to the climax in Ki whilst on a long car journey. Hilarious.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest