Face your chaos, know who you are!
#194794 by Amber
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:17 am
I have to ask, to anyone that may know the answer...

How come there seems to be a kinda European focus with Ki and such? Unfortuantly, I havent been here for other CD realeases, so I do not know if it's 'normal' but I haven't been able to find any answers either.

I was just wondering, as Ki is being released here first, and with the European interviews, and the possiblity of starting the tour in Europe, (according to another thread awhile ago, I know thigns can change)

But I was just interested as usually with album things, unless you are in Europe, get released in America first.

Sorry, I''m just curious. :D
#194799 by Lettuce
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:25 am
I was also wondering this...do we love you more here or summat?
#194801 by Biert
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am
It's because I'm European.
#194809 by The Oid
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:40 am
The impression I've got from posts that Devin/Tracy have made on here in the past, is that there's a lot more support for metal/alternative music in Europe, compared to the US for example.
#194814 by The Dev
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am
Nope, lots of support in America and Canada...and I love being there as well...

It's just that Inside Out are stronger in Europe.

It's still early though...getting mah promo on...
#194821 by Amber
Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 am
Aahh cool. I wondered if it was stuff to do with Inside out, or just a case of me not living in America, or Canada.

Thanks for answering though, curiosity solved. :D

(Although, the better answer would of been that you love us more ;) Don't worry, I'm only kidding! :D )
#194847 by Wosko
Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:45 pm
Thats a good question Dev being from Canada it seems the least appreciation for Ki comes out of here
#194949 by MiKanou
Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 am
The Oid wrote:The impression I've got from posts that Devin/Tracy have made on here in the past, is that there's a lot more support for metal/alternative music in Europe, compared to the US for example.

France is really really poor in metal/alternative music.

I mean, you get the feeling that it's all underground music, most people don't know what metal is at all (and don't mention progressive :mrgreen:)

I sometimes feel like I'm all alone in here <_<
#194952 by BrunoN
Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:01 am
MiKanou wrote:France is really really poor in metal/alternative music.

I mean, you get the feeling that it's all underground music, most people don't know what metal is at all (and don't mention progressive :mrgreen:)

Funny thing, I have pretty opposite impression and even wrote a lastfm journal about it:

http://www.lastfm.pl/user/Zee_Kat/journ ... ench_fries

Most people surely don't know much about the genre - but in which country it's mainstream genre now?
#194957 by The Oid
Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:30 am
I think it's pretty mainstream in Finland (I think it's Finland). The whole Nightwish trying to find a new singer thing being front page news and all that.

I don't think it has to be mainstream in order for there to be a lot of support for it though.
#195166 by MiKanou
Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:45 am
BrunoN wrote:
MiKanou wrote:France is really really poor in metal/alternative music.

Funny thing, I have pretty opposite impression and even wrote a lastfm journal about it:

http://www.lastfm.pl/user/Zee_Kat/journ ... ench_fries

Most people surely don't know much about the genre - but in which country it's mainstream genre now?

Well ... there are very few metal concert in france (apart from local bands in bar :p)
I once went to see After Forever + Nightmare + Magica in bordeaux (quite a big city) and ... 200tickets sold out of 800 ...
Most of festival out there include no metal bands, apart from the really young hellfest and really small ones.

of course, on radio/tv, metal doesn't even exist :p

Of my friends, most people only know really mainstream bands like rammstein, metallica, system of a dawn and stuff.

We have MANY really good bands, many local bands, but no concert, no sellings, and really a few people that really know some.
#195180 by Leechmaster
Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:41 am
We've got a pretty shocking scene over here. There's loads of really awful wannabe Cannibal Corpse bands made up of some stupid teenagers that dunno what they're doing and old people who obviously failed at doing anything in youth and are desperately trying to scrape something out of their convalescent years. We do have some good bands. Primordial are relatively big on an international stage. God is an Astronaut are doing well. But still, I can count on one hand the amount of Irish metal bands I think are decent and could attain success outside of Ireland.

Even for getting concerts... Cork is a complete no-hoper. Dublin has a few arenas, but they're all too big. There's no way there'd be the following for metal bands to fill them out. There is literally no decent gig venue in Cork. Upstairs in two or three pubs, that's about it. So I really never get to go to gigs cos there's nothing worthwhile to see.

As Oid said up there, I'd say Scandinavian countries are the only ones where metal is above and beyond other genres. I dunno how the whole black metal church burners thing dented Norway's love, but still, Scandinavia is amazingly prolific when it comes to metal acts.
#195272 by :)
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm
Leechmaster wrote:We've got a pretty shocking scene over here. There's loads of really awful wannabe Cannibal Corpse bands made up of some stupid teenagers that dunno what they're doing and old people who obviously failed at doing anything in youth and are desperately trying to scrape something out of their convalescent years. We do have some good bands. Primordial are relatively big on an international stage. God is an Astronaut are doing well. But still, I can count on one hand the amount of Irish metal bands I think are decent and could attain success outside of Ireland.

Even for getting concerts... Cork is a complete no-hoper. Dublin has a few arenas, but they're all too big. There's no way there'd be the following for metal bands to fill them out. There is literally no decent gig venue in Cork. Upstairs in two or three pubs, that's about it. So I really never get to go to gigs cos there's nothing worthwhile to see.

The Answer have done pretty well for themselves too, gone from unknown to supporting AC/DC worldwide is pretty successful.

As for gigs we are starved and tortured both north and south, with a few exceptions, and those can still be counted on one hand.
#195273 by Rahovart
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:09 pm
:) wrote:
Leechmaster wrote:We've got a pretty shocking scene over here. There's loads of really awful wannabe Cannibal Corpse bands made up of some stupid teenagers that dunno what they're doing and old people who obviously failed at doing anything in youth and are desperately trying to scrape something out of their convalescent years. We do have some good bands. Primordial are relatively big on an international stage. God is an Astronaut are doing well. But still, I can count on one hand the amount of Irish metal bands I think are decent and could attain success outside of Ireland.

The Answer have done pretty well for themselves too, gone from unknown to supporting AC/DC worldwide is pretty successful.

As for gigs we are starved and tortured both north and south, with a few exceptions, and those can still be counted on one hand.

I work on the ferry that operates between Stranraer - Belfast during the summer, and we get a lot of bands travelling with us throughout the year. Shame they're all terrible. Off the top of my head I'm talking MCR, Avril Lavigne, etc etc.