Face your chaos, know who you are!
#198901 by evildave
Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 am
Hey.

My Play.com Ki pre-order is packing. Excited, I am. Only heard the teaser thus far and I am stoked!

I pre-ordered with Play rather than yourself, Dev, as it was about 70% of the price for me that way. Those money worries are universal, you know?! :?

I was wondering, though, what's the difference in what you make from it that? I suspect quite a lot, unfortunately. Do you make, like, bugger all from sales from places like Play?

Cheers!

Dave
#198910 by allmyfriends
Fri May 22, 2009 8:10 am
I too pre-ordered from Play.com (it too has entered packing 8) ) I was wondering about this too, I suspect that Play take a pretty big cut unfourtunatley. This was pretty much the only way I'd be able to afford the album at the moment though. Looking forward to the 25th.
#198921 by Biert
Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am
I thought the HDR preorder on eBay was bloody cheap. $12 ex shipping, I paid 14 euros including shipping per CD.
#198930 by Zyprexa
Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 am
Biert wrote:I thought the HDR preorder on eBay was bloody cheap. $12 ex shipping, I paid 14 euros including shipping per CD.

I second the motion. I mean, how much cheaper do you want it? You wouldn't get a crap CD for that in shops, let alone this piece of sex.
#198932 by evildave
Fri May 22, 2009 12:21 pm
Yep - 14 euros wasn't bad. But still about 13 quid. Play was 9 quid. To get some perspective, once the bills, and supporting the family is done with, I get 65 pounds left over from my monthly salary to play with. I know. Boo hoo. Not complaining, just saying. So the saving works out as most of the way towards another cheap album off Amazon. e.g. Some prime jazz or old Marillion.
#198933 by Biert
Fri May 22, 2009 12:27 pm
After I've paid the rent I have 10 euros left to pay everything else. TV, internet, gas/water/electricity, taxes, food, ...
#198935 by allmyfriends
Fri May 22, 2009 1:39 pm
Zyprexa wrote:
Biert wrote:I thought the HDR preorder on eBay was bloody cheap. $12 ex shipping, I paid 14 euros including shipping per CD.

I second the motion. I mean, how much cheaper do you want it? You wouldn't get a crap CD for that in shops, let alone this piece of sex.

Well, for me, I can't buy stuff in other currencies (crappy bank card doesn't let me and I shut down my PayPal after it got hacked and I lost £30) and when I checked on Amazon they didn't have it (or much more likely I crapped up the search somehow). So I checked Play and they had it so I pre-ordered.
#198961 by Zyprexa
Fri May 22, 2009 4:53 pm
What's wrong with supporting those who support the artist?!;)

I'm not commenting about anyone else's monetary circumstances. I have fifty cent to my name and I'm not paid until next Thursday, so I'm not rolling in it either. I was merely stating that fourteen euro isn't exactly a rob. So when you say "Those money worries are universal" you sound like you would have been paying a zillion quid for it. I know what you mean though, nine is more reasonable than twelve pounds. But when it's going to some synthetic company and most of it's not going to the artist, it just seems to me like a stupid way of thinking you're not being a pirate by doing that. If the artist gets hardly any of the revenue, it's surely not so worthwhile to pay for it at all. You might as well download it instead of wasting your nine pounds.

I dunno. That's just my opinion.
#198990 by evildave
Sat May 23, 2009 12:33 am
when you say "Those money worries are universal" you sound like you would have been paying a zillion quid for it.

No, no. That's not what I meant (or wrote...) at all. I meant that not having much cash, as we've read about in Dev's case on this forum, is very common, and also applies to me.

it just seems to me like a stupid way of thinking you're not being a pirate by doing that.

Right... Not super keen on your choice of words here. I know I'm not being a pirate because I never download anything illegally. And my rationale is that adding to the sales figures through any channel has to be positive all round, in terms of label's perceptions of the artist, etc. Stupid? You're entitled to your opinion, of course.
#198994 by Zyprexa
Sat May 23, 2009 1:39 am
I'd just rather support Dev directly than give my money to play.com. I see no need for an intermediary. Fair enough though, money is saved by you.
#199005 by evildave
Sat May 23, 2009 4:02 am
Yeah, me too. Hence the mild regret and self-justification, I guess!

Your sig - Divine Comedy. Excellent. A fairly recent discovery for me. Neil Hannon is amazing.
#199014 by Zyprexa
Sat May 23, 2009 7:38 am
Wheeeee! I've loved Neillykins since I was about five years old. I have their discography. They were pretty much the soundtrack to my life. Neil and Dev are the only two artists who I follow religiously, as in; I want to know everything about them and their life and support them in every venture. Lucky for me he does a lot of charity work these days so he's usually at really good benefit gigs. My sister has met him, she told him that I once said "Anytime there's a song stuck in your head, just sing the National Express and it magically disappears!" He replied "Oh yes, just replace one crappy pop song with the other..."

And he's married to a girl called Orla. That's me! :D
#199636 by emorrin
Wed May 27, 2009 5:42 pm
Other than 2 SYL CDs, I have bought everything from Hevydevy records because I know (at least I think) that Devin will get the most royalties being that it is his own label. I have bought his whole discography there other than the 2 ambiance CDs. Hevydevy records has great service and most of the time the CD is signed. Hell, if memory serves correct, I got a Christmas card from them years back. I admit that I was a bad boy and downloaded "The Hummer" but have not really listened to it yet. Not sure if it is my cup of tea but you get warned about this beforehand. Devin is one of those rare artists in that buying without first hearing is a no brainer when it comes to his regular releases. In this day in age I do try before I buy because there is just so much out there and allot of it is crap. This is not the case here.
#199673 by djskrimp
Thu May 28, 2009 12:20 am
At the end of the day, I hope we can all agree that we'd all like to pitch in to help Devin maintain the lifestyle that allows him to raise his family and still create the art that we all signed up on this board to shout hosannas for.

I love you all, but you really get screechy sometimes, you know?