10%
10%
1%
1%
1%
1%
#229333 by Rthr
Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:14 am
Easy, Disruptr and Heaven Send. I have a slight case of the Jekyll and Hydes and was going through something of a crisis recently when I rediscovered Mr. Townsend, and those two tracks sonically described to me the extremes I was experiencing in detail, without even listening to the lyrics they just felt "right" on first listen. It's a highly personal/subjective/wassname thing I s'pose, but those two resonated with me heavily.
#232695 by TallNerdGuy
Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 pm
I don't know why it has taken me this long to decide upon my key selections from Ki, but I ended up choosing Terminal and Disruptr. Terminal always stood out to me, mainly because it is so mild-mannered and drifting compared to the Dev's other solo works, and now having had listened to Addicted as much as I have, the song has become that much more chill and peaceful as a result. But kinda going in the complete other direction, Disruptr has that great build of dynamics...starting quiet and clean and all-the-while unfolding as it progresses along into this ugly son-of-a-bitch that makes you wonder if you are still listening to the same song somehow. Even the lyrics' evolution throughout the song is great, climaxing with the hard-hitting line "BE A GOD DAMN MAN, BOY!"...something that every male has either heard or told themselves as they transistioned into adulthood or faced a threat (in some form or another).
#232761 by keeptheflame
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:35 am
This was a hugely difficult choice for me. I don't want to only pick 2 songs! I ended up with Coast and Ki, but I wanted to add in Terminal, Lady Helen and Winter... :(
#232794 by Fjar
Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:52 am
If I could change my choices now, I'd probably go for a combination of Disruptr, Gato, Ki and Heaven's End (the last two are the ones I originally chose).
#233003 by Hyperviolence
Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:49 pm
Pretty easy choice for me in "Terminal" and "Quiet Riot". I LOVE "Quiet Riot", it's a simple song but it sets a very distinct mood and has some of my favorite Dev lyrics. Terminal just rules, I think that should be pretty obvious to everyone.
#233056 by mrbean667
Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm
A Monday is becoming my favourite song easily, if I could change my choices I would choose that and Coast.
But they're all so good...
#233408 by rhiawiz
Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:29 am
i was able to change my choices because i hit the wrong song initially...so those out there who say they wish they could change their votes, change away - the totals are recalculated!

i hope i don't sound like a sacrilegious DT fan but i have a confession and I wonder if anyone else feels at all the same- after Winter, I've heard all the tracks I really want to hear on Ki (besides the reprise that is Demon League - I do really like that melody). I really really love listening to (most of) this album and I do crave hearing it often, it's just that songs 9 through 12 don't do a thing for me. Gato and Heaven Send are the ones I picked as my favorites but I also love Coast, Winter, hell I love songs 1-8! I am a big fan of DT's dynamics, but the title track, Ki, just takes too long for me and when it does build up I don't even dig it. I can't believe it's so many peoples' favorite track?!? well, to each his own for sure.

i think he's amazing that he can be so diverse to make me absolutely love most of his stuff but really dislike a few of his tracks (like Ih-Ah off Addicted! and Quiet Riot off this one). i admire that he is such a polarizing artists - i have friends who either love him or hate him. rarely do i hear "Devin Townsend - yeah he is alright". not for the casual listener i don't believe!
#233833 by Hyperviolence
Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 pm
^^^Pretty interesting in the fact that I feel exactly the opposite. Tracks 10 through 13 are the highlights of the album IMO (with the exception of Terminal).
#234013 by rhiawiz
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:55 pm
WOW! That is most definitely interesting to note what music trips our triggers. I have always hated 50's sounding music so Trainfire is a turnoff. Even though I know he is jammin' and twistin' it up, it's just not for me. Lady Helen would be good for me for falling asleep I guess, but I don't hear any of what I like about Devin in Quiet Riot. No strong voice, no dynamic shifts, no unpredictable chords. If i feel like i can predict the chord progression too much, I'm bored, unless it is a REALLY great song. He doesn't have to be heavy for me to like him that is for sure (love A Monday, and Demon League), but strummed acoustic folky stuff doesn't do anything for me by anyone even a master songwriter like Devin. I also dislike Trains by Porcupine Tree for the same reason though I love most everything else they do.

Perhaps I should take my acoustic and go play coffee shops and broaden my horizons...maybe it will be good for my soul!
#234429 by Onefamiliarsong
Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:19 pm
"Ki" and "Terminal"

This album was so good for mental imagery, all of the songs really catered to that for me, but "Ki" especially threw me for a loop. The slow build is what got me, I'm a sucker for crescendos and an explosive climax.
And "Terminal" is just absolutely beautiful, through and through.
#236689 by yellow
Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:00 am
Demon league, and The Coast are my two favorites.
I really enjoy the mellowness of the two songs.
Coast speaks to me on a personal level really well and I just love the music in it.

All in all this is my favorite album at the moment.

-yellow.
#237254 by Knotrice
Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:46 pm
Heaven Send and Ki. End of.
#240012 by MarianTheDrummer
Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 am
To be honest, there are better albums by Dev, but still this one kicks ass. My favs: Heaven Send and Trainfire (it shows that Elvis is still alive, trapped in Mr Townsend's body :D)